[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My fellow electricians; I am a residential journeyman about to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fluke.jpg (90KB, 768x500px) Image search: [Google]
fluke.jpg
90KB, 768x500px
My fellow electricians; I am a residential journeyman about to get back into my commercial apprenticeship. I am looking at getting a fluke meter. either t5-600 or t5-1000. Is it worth the extra money to get the 1000v model? In my state regular commercial electricians cant work over 600 volts, so I dont know if I will really need the fancier model.
>>
Not really, you wouldn't need something that reads that high unless you're going industrial. There's not a lot of situations in commercial that you'll need the higher reading
>>
>>1138462
>>1138464

Inside wireman here. When working commercial my fluke t5 stays at home, and I use my $30 Craftsman clamp meter instead. Fancy meters grow legs. Conveniently, fancy meters are usually used on service calls or industrial settings where you aren't working with many people, or with anyone at all.

Just get any cat3 clamp meter and you'll be good to go.
>>
>>1138462
Why are you trying to get back into commercial? I am working mostly residential and about to take my journeymans. Curious as to what you see in commercial worth leaving for when your already stamped.
>>
>>1138524
I start to get tired of dealing with homeowners. Houses and remodels get old after awhile. Here in washington residential wages seem to peak at 25, maybe 30 an hour if you go to seattle. Enough to live off maybe, but it seems like theres more money in commercial. I also feel like I wasted my time at trade school by sticking with residential. The whole point of going to school was do higher end electrical work not rope houses all day.
Residential work will always be there if i need to fall back on it, but for now I think its time to increase my skill set. I wish you luck in getting your journeymans.
>>
>>1138563
im with you. Im a commercial HVAC journeyman. the residential journeyman wage is almost 20 less per hour.
>>
>>1138563
Thanks for the input my friend. I am doing service work right now and the occasional custom home but can see where your coming from. It seems to make money on the residential side you have to either own your own company or become an inspector for the county. Good luck.
>>
>>1138653
Hey thanks! I enjoy service work and troubleshooting, but custom houses can be nightmares, especially with all the fancy appliances tripping arc fault breakers. Are you thinking about starting your own company?
>>
>>1138462
Not really worth it unless you run across 600V systems. In the USA, 480V service is common, but the next jump is to 2400V/4160V. That us usually measured with specialized HV probes and test equipment.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.