[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys i have a project, i need to design a spring to operate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

Ok guys i have a project, i need to design a spring to operate a safety valve. The reactor vessel contains gas at 250°C and absolute pressure of 10 bar. The safety release valve needs to open between 5mm and 10mm when temperature exceeds 300°C. The diameter of the valve is between 80 and 120 mm.

I also need to know a suitable spring constant and a suitable metal...taking elasticity, corrosion etc into consideration...any help is good help
>>
File: IMG_1838.jpg (91KB, 832x624px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1838.jpg
91KB, 832x624px
>>1137571
>Wax Thermostatic Element

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wax_thermostatic_element

Working on a project is fine, just don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1998 The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.
>>
that wrestling match will forever be the best.
>>
>>1137580
you misunderstood the question. this is OPs mechanical engineering university assignment.

the point is to get OP to learn how to make a spring by understanding the properties of a material under load.

>>1137571
do your homework OP
>>
>>1137571
Atmosphere or cvs? Safety valve meaning it's manually controlled or a relief valve that's automatic?
>>
>>1137631
But i dont get it
>>
>>1137804
To the best of my knowledge it will automatically open based on the temperature
>>
>>1137831
Then study, you fuck. Google is your friend, your textbook is your friend, we are not. How do you expect to be successful in life if you can't think critically and solve your own problems?
>>
File: 1483159996189.jpg (38KB, 750x825px)
1483159996189.jpg
38KB, 750x825px
>>1138006
>How do you expect to be successful in life if you can't think critically and solve your own problems?
give him a break, OP sucks cock to pay the bills and he wants to do mechE to get some cash on the side
>>
>>1137571
Like the other guys said do your own damn research. There are plenty of resources for the materials science you need to find
>>
File: jiopk.png (518KB, 600x450px)
jiopk.png
518KB, 600x450px
>>1137571
You came to the wrong place. Your question implies you know more about this than 99% of people here. Face it - this is DIY, it is filled with retards who have no idea what a safety valve even is, as implied by the very first answer.

What you probably know - the area is proportional to the force acting on the spring, F = P*A. The spring behaves according too Hooke's law, F=k*deltaH, H being the height, k the constant. You just assume some diameter intuitively and make the calculations for that to figure out the constant. How to design springs is well outlined in "Machinery's handbook". If it is for an assignment, I recommend you follow that, if not, just look through spring catalogues and copy a design in regards to the dimensions. Corrosion is most probably simply offset by adding a bit of material here and there depending on the enviroment or by selecting a non corrosive material. Temperature - just make sure it still works after thermal expansion.
>>
>>1138189
Thank you this is more like the answer i was looking for, you have been great help
>>
>>1137832
We only deal with pressure relief, so I can't help with that. Metal could be vastly different depending on the product in the vessel. Stainless steel has become the new choice for caustic and acid lines in my field, for example. Honestly, you may be able to check some manufacturer websites to compare what they have for certain applications. I've recently heard of PTFE lined relief valves for corrosion resistance. We don't use those here, we mostly use acids in situations where it's injected in small batches at low pressures.
>>
File: strains the mind a bit.png (288KB, 674x655px) Image search: [Google]
strains the mind a bit.png
288KB, 674x655px
>>1137571
>having /diy/ do your engineering homework
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.