[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I hire a tradesman to do something at my house, is it considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

File: 47263.gif (3MB, 318x240px) Image search: [Google]
47263.gif
3MB, 318x240px
If I hire a tradesman to do something at my house, is it considered rude to "watch him"---I want to learn something!
>>
They are used to it.
>>
Tell them that's why your watching, offer copious amounts of coffee/tea and they shouldn't mind.
>>
>>1137251
to a certain degree

I'm more prone to screwing up whenever I have someone hovering over my shoulder

as long as you're polite about it, there shouldn't be any harm in asking specific, relevant questions

of course if you're like "tell me how to do X so I don't have to spend money to call you next time". don't expect a warm response
>>
>>1137251
Most don't care.. Only thing thats annoying is if you start adding your two cent and telling em what to do. But if their doing something wrong. Just fire them.
>>
>>1137251
It's your house. Just don't be creepy, distracting, or try to micromanage them. Remember, slowing them down or causing them to make a mistake from distraction is costing you more money.
>>
>>1137320
This.

Me and my workmates don't mind a few questions and will often walk through the general process with the customer if they are interested.
>>
I have absolutely no problem with people watching. You can get right beside me if you want to. Hell, you can even work with me if you really want to.

I absolutely fucking hate it when the home owner or whoever is standing there starts saying dumb or wrong shit. I'll add an extra to your bill if I have to endure that kind of shit the entire time I'm working.

Remember that it is your house and you are the boss. Just keep in mind that you hired a professional because you didn't know how to do it yourself. Anyone that doesn't allow you to watch is probably cutting corners.
>>
if you are polite and tip well, they'll almost never say no
>>
>>1137251
I do HVAC. A homeowner watched me and I taught them the whole sequence of operations in a furnace. Didn't bother me one bit. It allowed me to get more personal with him and show him the deficiency of his insulation since we basically chilled out in his attic. Turned out quite good.
>>
>>1137251
If you tell him its because you want to learn they probably won't mind.
They might even let you provide an extra hand.
Just don't act like you know more than they do.
>>
>>1137251
Rub his back while he works. They live that.
Especially if your dick is hanging out.
>>
>>1137333
This i enjoy teaching people how things are done or explaining why i do things a certain way but if the customer talks nonstop is in the way or being creepy i get pissed.
One time a guy layed down on the floor and watched me lay tile for 5 hours not saying a word just starring didnt get up to pee or drink or eat. Fucking creepy
>>
>>1137464
Fucking lolled.
>>
>>1137464
Not gonna lie. I love when someone else scratches the top of my head/scalp. Been like that since my first lice check in like the first grade... If someone wants to scratch my head while I fix their motorcycle. I might charge them less... Just keep your dick to yourself. Thanks.
>>
>>1137251
U good man.

I did a lot of tile and wood floor work among others. It's flattering if you arent weird about it.

If the owner/boss shows up try and give them a beer or pop and lightly shoot the shit and bs with them. Light chatter when machines arent running is what helps most tradies through the day.

The only thing i hated was snooty rich women cunts that would just hover over u and bitch and question everything u do like they are a fucking pro.

95% of tradies love talking about what they do since its a big part of thier life.
>>
>>1137308
#beer... wtf is wrong with you eruofag
>>
>>1137339
Yuuuuup.
>>
>>1137464
Pfffffffff
>>
>>1137500
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: 20170228_095156.png (73KB, 1367x293px) Image search: [Google]
20170228_095156.png
73KB, 1367x293px
>>1137500
>>
Nothing worse than a home owner standing over me. I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. You start asking question then shit gets fucked up. Retired people are the worst. I ask people if they'll be home while I do the work, if so the bid is much larger.
>>
File: 19-funny-labor-rates-sign.jpg (140KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
19-funny-labor-rates-sign.jpg
140KB, 640x640px
>>1137251
Don't.
>>
>Mind if I watch so I can learn something?
>Not at all.
>secretly shitting my pants because i don't know what i'm doing
>>
>>1137251
only tradespeople that aren't confident in their work dislike being watched. its polite to ask first though.
>>
>>1137707
After i was done he said he would call to have me do his bathroom. I did not do his bathroom
>>
I do appliance repair and I don't mind when people watch. If they start asking questions I don't mind answering. If they get annoying about questions then I tend to take a hard dive into explaining something odd and esoteric about whatever I'm working on without bothering to explain all the definitions of the jargon or theory... usually about halfway through explaining the refrigeration cycle complete with the gas laws (you remember from high school chemistry right?) their eyes glaze over and they stop taking it in and you can feel them hoping for a return to normal conversation... heaven help the poor chatty bastards who ask dumb questions about a microwave.. waveguides, lenzs law, the high voltage D.C. Rectifier circuit... never have anyone follow that properly..

Of course I'm more than happy to teach someone useful stuff. We charge about 108$ to clear a clogged drain pump when apps said and done and I generally make sure that part of that is explaining to the customer how to either clear it themselves if it clogs again or how to prevent it clogging in the first place... have kids? If yes get a mesh laundry bag for socks and small shit... that stuff loves getting into pumps.

Only ever had a few times where the person I was talking to really seamed to keep up with what I was explaining with the crazier stuff, both times it was another repairman who owned the appliance but had a warranty on it... both times led to far more interesting conversations
>>
Make sure you stare at them especially when they do something wrong so you can mock them in the making
>>
>>1137703
My dad does HVAC and Carpentry. Any self respecting tradesman politely declines beer while on the job. Coffee/Tea/Bottled Water/Lemonade is preferred.
>>
File: B1Ercn6.png (498KB, 1320x1015px) Image search: [Google]
B1Ercn6.png
498KB, 1320x1015px
>>1137500
Could it be?
>>
Not a tradesman per se. But I actually have a separate rate for attended sessions. saves on reworks
>>
>>1138026
Oh shit i hope not
>>
>>1138045
but dem feelz?
>>
>>1137896
Legit a motorcycle shop has this shit. I needed new tires and it was 80 bucks for them to just install the tires... I took them off in the parking lot and let them bead and balance the tires. And they charged me 100 dollars. Because "i helped" yeah fuck all dirty kikes. Its why I will never go to a mom and pop motorcycle shop again.
>>
>>1138026

Not gonna lie, it ain't a sexual thing, but there is something about well laid tile that is aesthetic as fuck. Tile > carpet every day of week. In fact, I'll go as far as to say anything that requires a certain degree of skill deserves a healthy amount of appreciation. Good on that anon for realizing it in his own way.

Exception, woodworking, any monkey with a saw and a chisel can do woodworking, and I hate getting splinters in my dick.
>>
File: feelsgood.jpg (20KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgood.jpg
20KB, 329x357px
I do alarms and cameras and shit. People that don't know what the fuck they are talking about are all over the place. Example

>Can this remote for my alarm do both my garage and house at the same time?
>No sir you can only assign a remote to one area on this system sorry
>Well, uh I actually used to put these in and they used it be able to do it back then
>A blatant fucking lie
>Mfw I handed him the programming guide and asked if he could find the section about assigning remotes to areas for me
>Mfw he just gives me a blank stare, mumbles something and wanders off
>>
>>1138138
There are *some* older systems that can be cloned onto a remote that will do two systems, so technically it is possible. But highly improbable.
>>
>>1137340
>Tipping a tradesman....

I'd be quite insulted if that happened to me, I'm not some minimum wage waiter, I'm a qualified electrician, people pay for my skills and expertise.
>>
>>1137578
how about i pay full price but the dick stays out?
>>
>>1138574
It's normal to tip tradesmen in yurop.
>>
>>1137251

Locksmith here.

Not one tech in our shop likes to be watched, myself included.

Story time
>replacing a damaged ignition on toyota
>guy's sitting in the passenger seat watching me like a hawk
>when I'm done he says "Im paying you $X.XX just for that?"
>this other guy quoted me half that and it didnt look that hard
>makes a big fuss about the quote I gave him before the job
>pop his old fucked ignition back into housing, tell him no charge and leave
>two weeks later he calls us back
>he hired some shit head locksmith from the first hit on google
>ripped apart his ignition housing, told him he had to "find the right ignition"
>I guess the guy made him pre-pay for the ignition and never returned
>now needs new ignition and ignition housing
>He was a giant prick so I refused to provide service "for fear that he would not pay his bill when the job was complete" just in case he tries to leave us a bad yelp review

I've never had a call where I could say "im glad he watched me the entire time".
>>
>>1138599
I don't believe you
>>
>>1138636
You shouldn't. Never heard of that happening.
>>
>>1137251
i dont care if you watch or hover or chit chat, its your house.
>>
>>1139585
I saw it happen a few times, although mostly with movers. Still uncommon but not really unheard of.
>>
>>1137251
I really wish you wouldn't.

Like I don't mind if you come over for 5 minutes to ask some questions or clarify what you want, but unless I'm doing something that requires your input, I'd rather you leave me alone so I can concentrate on doing the best job possible.
>>
>>1139713
yeah, it's not uncommon to tip anyone on minimum wage, basically. low end lawnscapers/yard guys, maids, and movers are all tipped reasonably often. if someone had to do an apprenticeship etc. then tipping is odd.

That said, it's not uncommon to offer someone a bonus when work turns out really well, but that tends to be more for commission/contractor level work, not hourly tradesmen.
Because if it takes you an extra 4 hrs to go the extra mile, hourly gets paid for that, artisan gets paid the same with possible bonus and word of mouth.
>>
>>1137320
>I'm just watching you to learn.
>I'm now firing you because you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1138051

>sign says $80 for new tires
>be charged $100
>refuse to pay them more then $80
>cut them a check (so there is a paper trail) for $80 and leave never to return and tell others of that horrid place.

Yeah that shit dont fly with me. only happened once and they refused to give me back the keys to my car until i called the police and my lawyer friend... then i ended up getting the work done at a discount if i promised not to sue the ever loving shit out of them.
>>
>>1138080
>I usually ask if I can help them so I can learn too (for a discounted price of course).
how do you know if you got a discount? do you ask "since i helped you, can i have a discount?"
>>
>>1138574
Why would you be? Shouldn't you be happy you're getting extra money?
>>
>>1139773

Happened to my girlfriend a couple years ago. I was out of town and her serpentine belt broke. So she had her car towed and had it replaced.

Got a bill for like $600 because the guy "fixed and replaced" some things on her car.

>Look at bill
>take out checkbook
>write check for amount that belt and tow cost
>guy says that I made a mistake and didn't pay him enough
>Ask him to see the signed paperwork that says the work was authorized
>Says he called my gf and got it all cleared
>She wrote my phone number on the paperwork

He sent me a couple of bills after that for the rest and threatened to put a mechanics lien on the car. I told him to fuck off and that I wouldn't sue his ass.

It was kind of sad because the shop was clearly failing and the old guy seemed nice enough plus the work he did was good. He just got greedy and decided to screw over a girl because he thought he could.
>>
>>1138574
if youre not the owner its nice to get tipped. im getting paid by the hour so some lunch money never hurt anyone
>>
>>1138636
I am a utility mechanic. People rarely tip us, but it does indeed happen, especially during emergency calls.
>>
>>1137251
Ask nicely and offer to help at least. I've been shadowing plumbers before my apprenticeship starts and they're happy enough for it.
>>
>>1137896
kek that bottom one is banner worthy
>>
>>1137707
new banner please mods
>>
I install and maintain lawn and garden irrigation systems and I prefer not to be bothered.

But if a homeowner offers me refreshments I will politely refuse but will do a better job regardless.
>>
>>1140866
Make it.
moot's policy was always that anything on the site is exclusively made by anons, whether it be banners, stickies, or otherwise.
I doubt hiroshima's policy is any different.
>>
>>1137251
Locksmith checking in. I don't give a fuck if you're in the room or even talking to me, but if you're looking over my shoulder while I'm trying to do something or even worse; trying to tell me how to do my job you'll be told to fuck off.
>>
>>1138605
>waaahhhh, it's 2am and I'm locked out of my house and also drunk as fuck. Plz come quick!
>Wtf man. That took you like 2 minutes. There's no way I'm paying you $150 for that little work.
>>
>>1138080

That you, shittymorph?
>>
>>1138051
>$80 for the to install new tyres.
What's so bad about the tyres costing you $20?
>>
I do residential Solar.

Had a guy come out and sit in his front yard watching with his kids intently for 9 hours. It was 85 out. What the fuck
>>
Some don't mind, but some are completely rude about it. A foundation guy kept getting ruder and ruder, till I had enough. He kept saying things like, "I don't need someone to tell me how to dig a hole." I didn't say one word about how he was doing his job. Sometimes, I give the guys a hand to help things go a little quicker, they usually appreciate the extra help.
>>
>>1141518
Tradesmen are the kind of white trash scum that get mad if you offer to help

Just point a camera at em and let them do their job
>>
Finish carpenter here.

Just finished up a new construction house for a retired dude.He was there everyday. Didn't tell us how to do our job but the motherfucker would be in your way 85% of the time
>move before I drop this 36" solid core door on your ass.

He would freak out over everything though.

>Why does the wood grain look different on these 2 pieces of casing.
Because they're from 2 different trees.
>Oh.

>what do you think of these stain samples?
It's your house get what you want.
>You're not being very helpful.
/sigh
>>
>>1141631
Years ago, when I had my garage doors replaced, they sent a moron to do the job. Old doors came off and new doors went up OK. But when the guy was trying to rehang the door opener track and motors, he was having a difficult time doing it by himself. Trying to hold the motor, with one hand, a power driver in the other, keep the brackets lined up and not drop the screws.

So I just peeked in the garage and commented, "When I put those in, I hung the motor from the rafter with a rope." He just snarled at me. But half an hour later, when I looked in on him he said, "That rope idea was pretty good."
>>
>>1137251
Talk to him, if he just grunts in response leave him alone.

From my experience though they're normally enthusiastic and enjoy explaining things. You then make a mate and can get work done cheaper.
>>
>>1141516
>I do residential Solar.
Hey me too bro
>>
Depends on what I'm doing.

Changing a light bulb for an old lady? Watch/talk away.

Replacing a light fixture? If it is a fucking 100+ pound chandelier. If you sit and talk to me while I balance on a ladder holding the damn thing, I'm going to ignore you. Please do offer to help though.

If I'm crawling around in your tiny ass crawlspace trying to fish wires and you're trying to talk to me or hover around me, I'll be pissed because I'm in a hot tight space trying not to impale myself on random screws and nails while trying not to breath in asbestos through my shitty particulate mask.
>>
>>1141651
I get those occasionally. Usually just feel bad for them.. they're old lonely and retired looking for human contact more than anything else
>>
>>1140961
>he doesn't always do the very best job he can
>>
As a service electrician I deal with all sorts of customers. I'd say about 80% of the watchers I am okay with, many of which I enjoy talking to while I work. Some people are too chatty and are incapable of having a casual conversation and want to divert your full attention constantly. As long as they are not in my personal space or generally in the way I don't have a problem.

As far as tipping goes it is a pleasant surprise. I make a relatively good hourly wage and the customers pay a good dime for me to show up in the company truck so I don't expect anything extra, but there have been a handful or two who tip. I always politely decline in the first time, usually saying something like 'You don't have to do that'. When they insist I'll accept. Usually it is around $10-the "Have lunch on me" suggestion.
>>
>>1141631
I rarely have that problem because I'll show them my work in the house. They usually are impressed. Only plumber I've hired was to do some soldering inside the wall behind my fiberglass shower. He saw my plumbing work and asked why I hired him. I told him I didn't want to take the blame if my house catches on fire. He was real careful after that, and I backed off to not stress him out more.
>>
>>1137464
I am crying with laughter at that...have to stop reading it.
>>
>>1139773
Never leave my car without spare keys hid on it.

Jewish fucks.

Good work anon. Fuck em
>>
>>1140006
Have 2000 blazer shitbox.

4.3 liter v6 blows.

Find new motor 800 bux.

Meh, i lile my car sure. Busy with 2 jobs so go ahead and put it in.

Say no more senpai.

Bill was $3,200.

WAT.... THE.... FUCK.....

3200 BUX FOR A V6. KYS...

shoulda just put a small block in it like i was going to. Rapists...

Think my budy is buy it for 2900 tho so meh...
>>
>>1141651
Topkek.

Fucking people...

Put 1400 square foot of wood floror in this snooty rich hateful cunts house. Finally had enough. Foumd dead skunk on highway. Rubbed oarts not bloody on everything in the house, cut hole in floor, nail skunk to floor joist. Nail note that says dont be a cunt to people and people wont do shit like this to you. Fucking bitch. Patch hole and lay floor

I heard she had to rent a motel room for 2 months and the retards that finally found the skunk FUUUCKED up my floor.

Bitch was actually dumb enough to call me to fix it.

Charged her 3 grand and told her they really did a nunber on it and it would take a lot to fix. Again with the attitude...

I highly considered doing something else but i just wanted to get the duck out of there.

Stunk like hell for some reason...
>>
>>1142777
Cool story bro.....you should have dry fucked her ass, you fag.
>>
>>1142211
You just put a tear in my grizzled, alcoholic process operator/pipefitter eye.

Not a day goes by that I don't miss my grandma. :''''(
>>
>>1142777
I feel like you're proud of doing something a teenager would do while you're doing a professional job.

If you really were a professional you would have had a contract, and then you could have either spoke your mind to her and kept working or shrugged it off and kept working. If you spoke your mind and she kicked you out you would have still got paid, if you shut up and finished the job you would have got paid.

I also will call bullshit on your story. You would have likely used the same nails you had been using for everything else on the skunk, and the skunk would have likely been close to an obvious patch cut out of the subfloor. In this day and age where they can tell people apart by how they strike with a hammer you would have been caught.
>>
Electrician here, I did service for a few years before moving on to mission critical. It isn't really a bother, at least not to me anyways. It is well within a homeowner's right to make sure my work is up to their quality standards and, if anything, if they don't like something I do it's better they let me know earlier rather than later. That said, I worked with a lot of guys that hated being watch or nagged or asked questions. They were usually old school guys that were just grouchy. All in all, don't feel bad, even if they don't like it. They're paid good money to wait hand and foot on your relevant requests and questions and you're paying good money to keep it that way
>>
>>1137464
>at uni, walking past a group of builders
>one of them says he's getting a tattoo that evening
>"what of?"
>"that guy's face on my arse" as he points at me

Never try to out-homo tradesmen
>>
Questions and some bs-ing will get you a better product because the tradesman will care more if there is somewhat if a relationship. DO NOT hover or tell them how to do their job because you read how to do it online! Hovering makes at least me nervous and I will work much more slowly. Its best to check the job at the end of the day and if you see something you don't like, bring it up in the form if a question the next morning.
>>
>>1141008
Locksmiths are the worst.
>>
>>1144530
Had a baseball coach when I was younger that was a locksmith. Nicest man I've ever met. Didn't put up with bullshit though
>>
>>1142777
We'll forgive your bullshit story anon, we know it's just the meth hallucinations talking.
>>
I mean, you can. But it was always weird for me when they did that.
>>
>>1137251
nope get wut you paid for and ask questions
>>
I always hover some when there's someone working on my house. Fuck how they feel about it, it's my house and the man with the money makes the rules.
>>
Yes.
>>
I do this with my dick out and they never say anything. It's my God damn house.
>>
>>1144530
Its becuase of the people we have to deal with everyday generally. (not all but most)

Im pretty friendly but most other lockies I know are full blown asses.

Doesnt bother me at all if your following me flappin your gums the whole time. I generally keep my head down, smile, nod and let them flap their hearts content.

Im well practiced with the trade so I move quick and its not much distraction.
>>
>>1142777

This is dumb. Next time just ask to use their bathroom and piss on their toothbrush like an adult
>>
>>1141651
me too

>"you know those shims you put under the cabinets?"

>"yeah"

>"Can you guys glue them in, i don't want them falling out"
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.