[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know when lead stopped being used in construction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0557.jpg (423KB, 1698x1131px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0557.jpg
423KB, 1698x1131px
Does anyone know when lead stopped being used in construction? My dad was gifted a tool box filled with incredibly old nuts, bolts, and nails(some it even goes back to the 50s). He wants me to organize it but I'm not sure what I should keep and what I should throw away.
>>
Take it to recycling
>>
>>1137229
What are you talking about? If there IS lead in any of it, and I have no idea why there would be, wash your hands before you eat if you handle it, otherwise use it and don't worry. Jesus H. Is this a troll? If so 2/10 made me reply and I learned to not pay attention to idiotic threads involving lead.
>>
>>1137229
lead is soft. i'd be confused if bolts were made of lead. lead roofing nails were common. just compare the mass of a suspicious nail to one of the same size that you know is iron. if its much heavier, it's lead.
>>
>>1137234
Lead was used to make steel easier to machine. So once again the common 4kinks rage was completely useless to this thread.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_machining_steel
>>
>>1137641
>easier to machine
OP is talking about nuts, bolts and nails, which don't need that kind of steel.
Also, the amount of lead in the old steels was rather small.
>>
>>1137647
Lead is still used in some steels, but not really in the US. Bismuth has taken over that part in many cases, and even in those steels that still use lead, it's rarely if ever greater than 1/3rd of 1%.
>>
>>1137229
Do not eat the hardware. Wash your hands before eating. This is pre-school level stuff here.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.