[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So recently I happened to open up a crockpot that had been gifted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: crock_pot_white.jpg (33KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
crock_pot_white.jpg
33KB, 400x289px
So recently I happened to open up a crockpot that had been gifted to me (would've been rude to refuse, despite the fact I already own a bigger and better one) and I noticed that in between the heating element and the thin, metal exterior there is... nothing. Not only does this strike me as odd since once heated one could burn themselves touching the outside, but it seems super wasteful energy wise. These already suck up a shit ton of electricity, so why is the heater heating up the outside as well as in?

So I ask: has anyone ever heard of adding insulation to the inside of a crockpot/slow cooker? Can you think of any reason why this *wouldn't* be a good idea?
>>
>>1136991
>These already suck up a shit ton of electricity,

>crockpot

wat?
>>
>>1136991
You expect chink shit to be throughfully designed?
>>
>>1136991
>These already suck up a shit ton of electricity
Tell me, do you expect that you pay more or less than ten cents for the electricity to make a slow-cooked meal?

>Can you think of any reason why this *wouldn't* be a good idea?
Because the cooker is designed to maintain a suitable thermal equilibrium at its heat output to slow cook food and keep itself cool enough to avoid internal damage. Adding insulation would produce lower side wall temperatures and higher internal temperatures. This could in principle lead to unsuitably hot cooking and damage to wiring.
>>
Sometimes when i'm cooking my pots and pans get real hot, so hot that you'd burn yourself if you touched the outside of them!

Has anyone thought of putting insulation around them?

Or like, a handle?
>>
>>1136991
You're going to burn your food. As already mentioned, they are designed to achieve a specific heat transfer rate in regards to losses and power input with no insulation in mind.
>>
>>1137066
The risk of getting burned wasn't really the point, although there's a difference between the outside of a pot or pan getting hot and the outside of an appliance getting hot.

The risk of overheating is a real one, but personally I'm pretty sure the lack of insulation is due to cost and company apathy more than necessity from tight temperature specifications.

As I said I have this spare one that I don't care about, so I think I might give it a try. Likely I'll measure the interior temps before and after and consider it a failure if they're too different.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.