[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My sister is selling me her house so we can both save some money.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

My sister is selling me her house so we can both save some money. Said house has both asbestos tiles in the basement and popcorn ceilings pre-1980. Tiles span about 1000 sq ft, but are mostly undamaged and undisturbed. Pop corn ceiling has to go, but is only in two rooms, about 1000 sq ft.

If I remove them myself, how fast will I die?
>>
>>1136381
Tiles aren't friable. They're not particularly dangerous.
>>
>>1136382
With tiles, should I still get the hepa filter vacuum and special face mask thing, or can I just go to town?
>>
>>1136381
Popcorn ceilings didn't always have asbestos in them. I lived in a house built in 1971 and it had styrofoam popcorn ceilings. If you peel off the paint on them and they are white and fluffy inside (picture related), then they are perfectly safe and can be left alone. Well, unless you think they are ugly as shit because they are.

Funfact; Popcorn ceilings were popular because people thought the improved the soundproofing in your house and kept sounds from bouncing off the ceilings. That's why they were sometimes only in hallways and bedrooms; places where you wanted quiet.

>asbestos tiles in the basement
Have you had them tested? Laminate flooring has been around a long time and has been made of many different materials. The reason asbestos flooring was so popular was because linoleum, the first common laminate flooring, was pretty flammable. PVC laminate flooring has also been around for decades.
>>
>>1136386
Another fun fact: popcorn ceiling looks cool while on acid.
>>
>>1136383
When dealing with asbestos of any form it is a good idea to wear a mask. That and general construction dust. Considering that shit is likely glued down and not going anywhere, why not just floor over it?
>>
>>1136381
Just wet it down and get a mask. Or fucking leave it.

How many people u know die of mesothelioma that lived ina house like that?
>>
>>1136381
if you aren't going to just go over the floor tiles - if you want to remove them - try applying some heat to loosen the glue and try to pry them up without breaking them. if they have asbestos in them its only 'dangerous' if you break the tiles. and I mean really bust em up A LOT. a few breaks as you pry the up isn't going to kill you. just go slow 1 tile at a time and be methodical and there shouldn't be a problem.
I'd try an electric heat gun first as your heat source. if that isn't enough then go to the propane torch. of course with the torch be careful to not hold the flame in one spot too long and melt or set fire to the tile. also might want to ventilate the room (open a window) if your using the torch just for extra safety.
>>
>>1136381
Kek I remember those tiles in my elementary school.. Then again. My elementary school was underground....
>>
>>1136381
See that black glue they used, it has asbestos in it... Other than holding onto that old house smell, you can seal it with a nice floor paint, or if you plan to finish the basement, a top notch vapor barrier and rubber carpet padding...
>>
>>1136386
>Funfact; Popcorn ceilings were popular because people thought the improved the soundproofing in your house and kept sounds from bouncing off the ceilings. That's why they were sometimes only in hallways and bedrooms; places where you wanted quiet.

They're also popular because it allows you to hide imperfections in shitty drywall work.

For the ceilings, just suit up, get a respirator and tape off the rooms from the rest of the house. Vent out a window with a fan. You'll be fine. Asbestos generally won't fuck you up with one time exposure, it's working with it for 50 years that gives you mesothelioma.

For the tiles in the basement. If they're in good shape, just floor over them with a floating floor.

>>1137145
VCT is still one of the most popular floor coverings in commercial settings. It's flat, wears very well, can can be cleaned and refinished by a retard. There is a reason every hospital and school in the US has them as flooring.
>>
>>1137208
There is no safe level of expose. It's just odds of that one fibre cutting a strand of DNA.
>>
>>1137211
>There is no safe level of expose. It's just odds of that one fibre cutting a strand of DNA.

Never said there was. It's an odds game. Hence why I said generally. One cigarette is very unlikely to give you lung cancer, but it could. That is why I suggested he use all the appropriate PPE.

Also asbestos doesn't "cut DNA" it can become entrapped in tissue and cause DNA strand breaks. This is a chemical reaction, not a mechanical one.
>>
>>1137257
See the exact mechanisms by which asbestos causes DNA damage and apoptosis are not firmly established, perhaps you should contact the MOH, and present your findings.
>>
>>1137208
this
>it's working with it for 50 years
as a ship builder/wrecker or other heavy industry that uses it in their products. the one time home re-modeler who tears up a floor or popcorn ceiling isn't going to die the following week from mesothelioma.
that said for your basement floor its going to be much easier quicker to just float a floor over it. the tiles are what, 1/8" thick? for all that work you gain 1/8" of room height. meaningless.
>>
>>1137401
No they die 30 years later...
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.