[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I stuck a 12V electric (probably DC?) motor into a wall socket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

So I stuck a 12V electric (probably DC?) motor into a wall socket in my garage and the power went out.

Turned off all the breakers and it's still out. I know, it was dumb.

I don't want to know how to fix it as much as I want to know what's wrong and what happened.
>>
>>1135985
>Turned off all the breakers and it's still out.
Did you turn them back on again?

>I want to know what's wrong and what happened.
The device was made for 1/10th the power you put through it and DC only at that. You blew it up. This likely caused a short. The short tripped your breakers. Turn the breakers to the off position and then to the on position. That will reset them. if you still don't have power and the main breaker isn;t tripped then you need to call a professional.
>>
>>1135985
If you have a sub (fuse..) panel in your garage - assuming all the breakers are on, this entire maybe seperately fused on your main house panel. Basically, check every breaker you can find, if its really old wiring etc. its maybe on a non-resettable fuse (blown) somewhere as well. But hthat nothing ever works, ever again, its unlikely.
>>
>>1135985
Try resetting any and all gfi switches in your house the outlets with the test and reset buttons in the middle they are usually in the bathroom and kitchen Goodluck
>>
Is everyone seriously going to ignore this guy's outfit?
>>
>>1136053
>outfit
what?
>>
>>1135985

In my country there's a sealed main breaker which the electricity company has to come fix if it blows ...
>>
>>1136053
Standard jap electrician outfit. What?
>>
>>1136057
Jesus what third world country do you live in?
>>
>>1136053
>he doesn't what PPE looks like

lel
>>
>>1136186
Kekeru
>>
>>1135985
The coils inside the motor have a certain resistance and a certain reactance. Through V=IR, we know that if the resistance is the same, when we increase the voltage (12V to 120V), the current also increases. If it was a 5W motor at 12VDC, it will be a 50W motor at 120V, ignoring reactance and dielectric strength. This probably isn't the reason behind the breakers going out, because unless you were using a 20W+ motor, the breakers wouldn't have tripped, at least not immediately. You could potentially have put a motor in a socket whose DC current would have tripped a immediately breaker, but not AC current, because the extra resistance of the coil being in AC could have lowered the current, though this also probably didn't happen. What likely happened is either: The insulation of the coils were only suitable up to 40V or so, and you got arcs shorting the coil out, making the resistance very low and the current very high. This or the commutator fucked out on you and sparked way more than it usually does, maybe even arced to the chassis, and electrocuted you if you were holding it. Also putting even a minor current of a few amps (or less?) through the ground/earth socket will probably trip your breakers too. Don't forget to get the fridge turned on in time and reset your plug-in devices' times (oven, stereo, etc). You should put a fork in the socket next time.
>>
>>1135985
>I stuck my dick in a light socket and now neither work
>I know it was dumb
>>
>>1137923
>Don't forget to get the fridge turned on in time
YOU COULD HAVE TOLD HIM THAT 5 DAYS AGO - OPs PROABABLY DECEASED, IN THE DARK, FROM FURRY CHEESE BOTULISIMUS BY NOW.
>>
>>1137944
Oh shit whoops
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.