[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need to ground this power supply? I'm using it to power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170224_192251.jpg (2MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_192251.jpg
2MB, 2976x3968px
Do I need to ground this power supply? I'm using it to power an audio amplifier. If I do need to ground it, can I ground it to the speaker chassis, or should I use a grounded power cable?
>>
>>1135888
Anyone?
>>
What the fuck is a grounded power cable? You should let somebody help you who knows what he's doing
>>
>>1135900
You don't know what a power cord with three prongs is?
>>
>>1135902
Sure I know. But none of them is GND. At least not here in germany and I assume it's more or less the same everywhere
>>
>>1135888
>Do I need to ground this power supply?
Need to? No. Should you? Yes.
>If I do need to ground it, can I ground it to the speaker chassis, or should I use a grounded power cable?
If there's no path to earth ground, it's not grounded. Connecting something to a case is not the same as grounding it.
The amp should be surrounded a shielded case that is itself grounded.
>>
File: download.jpg (3KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 248x203px
>>1135904
I'm talking American power, guess I should have mentioned that. In America there's a ground. (the round one)
>>
>>1135909
But it's for protection only. There shouldn't be connected nothing but housing if it is made of metal
>>
>>1135888
Yes, you should ground it, too save the speakers from a power surge if nothing else.

The only practical, safe way to ground the power supply is to use a three conductor power cable with three prongs as you mentioned.
>>
File: 1487982282409.jpg (338KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1487982282409.jpg
338KB, 1280x1707px
>>1135888
The instructions are on the board and you already have it wrong.
left to right on connector
ACL - ac line (black/hot wire)
ACN - ac neurtal (white/not-hot wire)
GND - earth ground (green/green yellow wire)
>>
>>1135923
Damn. I stupidly thought that black was neutral since it is when I wire speakers.
>>
>>1135912
>Yes, you should ground it, too save the speakers from a power surge if nothing else.
No, you ground it to keep interference out.
This is an audio amplifier? If you don't shield it, it will pick up faint AM radio and every time your fridge cycles on.
>>
>>1135939
This is not an audio amplifier, it's a power supply to run into an audio amplifier.
>>
File: us wire color code.png (50KB, 704x348px) Image search: [Google]
us wire color code.png
50KB, 704x348px
>>1135923
>thought that black was neutral

NEUTRAL is white or gray
EARTH GND is bare or green or green/yellow
LINE/HOT is usually black or red but may be another color but NOT green or white or gray or bare.
>>
>>1135940
Ah. Then you still need to ground and shield it, and make sure the shielded box it's in is separate from the amplifier itself. As much RF interference can ride in on the AC line as come in through the air, and you don't want to couple that into your amp.
>>
>>1135933
>Damn. I stupidly thought that black was neutral since it is when I wire speakers.
Speakers have nothing called neutral wire. You even can swap the two wires of the speaker as long as you do it with all speakers

>>1135939
>No, you ground it to keep interference out.
Wrong. Learn what interference is.
>This is an audio amplifier?
As OP said it is a power supply
>If you don't shield it, it will pick up faint AM radio
Wrong. Learn about frequencies and antennas
>and every time your fridge cycles on.
Open an audio amp and have a look inside. Do you see any shields?

>>1135944
>Then you still need to ground and shield it
You mix up things. The grounding is for protection only for the case that any hot wire is connected to the housing. That's all!
>and make sure the shielded box it's in is separate from the amplifier itself. As much RF interference can ride in on the AC line as come in through the air
Bullshit. You don't know anything about amps
>>
>>1136094
You seem to have no clue what you are talking about... Stop giving false advice.
>>
>>1136094
any decent audio amp will be in a grounded metal case
>>
>>1136094
>Open an audio amp and have a look inside. Do you see any shields?
Yeah. The entire fucking case. And if the power supply is inside the case, and it's a decent amp, it will be in a partitioned section of its own, surrounded by metal, with nothing but a small hole for the supply wires to go through.
>>
>>1136094
>>No, you ground it to keep interference out.
>Wrong. Learn what interference is.
an ungrounded shield is not a shield. It's a simple fact, even in Trump's post-truth America.
>>
>>1136217
this isn't true you can design around having a shield. i haven't opened any audio equipment lately but i know a few spectral analysers with well designed psu / frontend combo that don't need internal shielding.
>>
>>1136233
And yet other parts of the design will still need shielding. Also, there's a huge difference between being ten bits/60dB deep, and being 16-20 bits (90-120dB) deep. And if you only care about 40dB of working depth, sure, fuck the shielding.

By all means, keep bringing up special edge cases that have nothing to do with the basic tenents of mainstream high S/N ratio design.
>>
>>1135911
>>1136094
>what are Y-capacitors
>>
>>1136234
haha ok buddy sure thing what do i know right.
>>
>>1136250
Got any actual counterpoint? :-/
>>
>>1136256
well i already told you you don't need shielding if you know how to design it properly and i nearly fell asleep when you were blabbing on about resolution wow such db so smart much technical.
>>
>>1136262
>i already told you you don't need shielding if you know how to design it properly and i nearly fell asleep when you were blabbing on about resolution wow such db so smart much technical.
You fall asleep at big words, and we're supposed to consider you technically competent?
>>
>>1136268
no i fell asleep at you trying to show off that you walked past an intro to EE class when you were cleaning the floor
>>
File: MITfinger.jpg (133KB, 994x754px) Image search: [Google]
MITfinger.jpg
133KB, 994x754px
>>1136274
still haven't pointed out anything incorrect in what I said.
also, course 6 bitch.
>>
>>1135904
We have that in Germany to some degree. On a Schuko plug, the PE has to be used as GND if you don't have a dedicated line for that.

And by the way...PE means Protection Earth
>>
File: Steckdose.jpg (52KB, 657x419px) Image search: [Google]
Steckdose.jpg
52KB, 657x419px
>>1136277
This is a Schuko plug by the way

Top and bottom clamps are for PE
>>
>>1136278
neat. what's the middle one?
>>
>>1136279
it's called screw
>>
>>1136279
That's a screw to hold the socket cover in place...

Has no electric use whatsover
>>
File: faceplant.jpg (44KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
faceplant.jpg
44KB, 500x380px
>>1136280
>>1136281
I.... d'oh. Thanks for being gentle.
>>
>>1136276
what is that did your boyfriend propose or something?
>>
Why are you asking? The Chinese even used the correct symbol for PE.

Keep in mind that some power supplies have the negative DC ouput terminal connected to earth others may float.

With ATX pc power supplies you should have conductivity between the 0V on say a molex connector and your case.

Feel free to tell me if my statements are false.
>>
>>1137192
looks like a brass rat. MIT engineering ring.
>>
>>1136234
haha yes you right !! and in the SMPS the loud sound you here is often the due to bad out put regulation and filter.. specially low end ones!!
>>1135888
you can change the output caps for bigger one(bigger capacitance) or also use an output inductor after the caps!!
you can also use a 22nF ceramic in parallel with output caps to choke high frequencies.. but this last one can mess up your IC voltage regulation..so check out put voltage before connecting back to your amplifier
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.