[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am in the process of buying parts in-order to make a vacuu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: mlDsJ0-7bnLNYIC4zQ4l3tw.jpg (7KB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
mlDsJ0-7bnLNYIC4zQ4l3tw.jpg
7KB, 225x180px
I am in the process of buying parts in-order to make a vacuum chamber. I want to degas silicon for mold making.
I appreciate any advice.

>Anyone here have a recommended brand of pressure gauge? Winters, Wika, ect.
>Should I purchase a Brass Mini Ball Valve, or a plastic alternative?
>What thickness should the Polycarbonate or Acrylic lid be?
Personally I think I should get Polycarbonate. and i'm thinking 3/4in'

The process I have in mind in-order to make the chamber is practically the same as in this video.
https://youtu.be/jFUBblZgXwU

Currently I have a 10x11in' stock-pot as the chamber; its not going to cave-in from the pressure,
and my vacuum pump 4CFM.
>>
>>1134223
>>Anyone here have a recommended brand of pressure gauge? Winters, Wika, ect.

For degassing silicone, it doesn't even matter. Really, you don't need a pressure gauge in the first place. You'll be able to judge progress by how much it's bubbling and how big the bubbles are.

>>Should I purchase a Brass Mini Ball Valve, or a plastic alternative?

Doesn't matter, long as it's airtight. FWIW, my hardware is all brass, if for no other reason than that's what I had on hand.

>>What thickness should the Polycarbonate or Acrylic lid be?

For a 10" lid, 3/4 is fine.

Also my preference is to just cut a ring out of a sheet of rubber to use as the gasket. Easier.
>>
>>1134225
>For a 10" lid, 3/4 is fine.
For the Polycarbonate or Acrylic?

>Also my preference is to just cut a ring out of a sheet of rubber to use as the gasket. Easier.
I was planning on utilizing my remaining Platinum-Silicone as a gasket. could it work?
>>
>>1134241
>For the Polycarbonate or Acrylic?

Either.

>I was planning on utilizing my remaining Platinum-Silicone as a gasket. could it work?

No reason it shouldn't, assuming you're not intending for it to just be a loose part, and not actually adhere to the lid.
>>
It's a degaser, just guesstimate.
>>
>>1134256
>It's a degaser, just guesstimate.
I also want to degas Resin with the chamber.
>>
>>1134334
Bamping for epoxy resin vaccumn chamber bread.
>>
OP here, will degassing Resin damage the polycarbonate/Acrylic lid?
>>
>>1134434

No.

>>1134334

Makes no difference. It'll work on anything that won't attack the plastic or damage the pump. That is to say, nothing that contains strong organic solvents (like acetone) or produces corrosive vapors (like hydrogen chloride).
>>
>>1134442
I'm looking for a metal 1/4" NPT Bulkhead for the fittings and the lid. Any recommendations as to where i could buy this? I tried a local lumber/parts shop and they did not have them.
>>
>>1134442
>Makes no difference. It'll work on anything that won't attack the plastic or damage the pump. That is to say, nothing that contains strong organic solvents (like acetone) or produces corrosive vapors (like hydrogen chloride).

reguardless of this, he should make it out of PC if he wants any longterm use, it is far less brittle
holy shit 3/4 seems a little thick though...
>>
>>1134449
what would you recommend?
>>
File: SANY0011.jpg (40KB, 555x500px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0011.jpg
40KB, 555x500px
>>1134450
3/4 would be fine, its just thick as fuck and will probably be expensive and time consuming to cut

but it looks like a lot of people use 3/4 for their chambers so i guess go with that to be safe

in which case, you can oprobably just pipetap into the PC instead of a bulkhead,
but if you cant find a bulkhead at your local hardware store in the plumbing section,
check the electrical section ,
specifically lamp hardware

you could also use a compression fitting union as a ghetto bulkhead like pic related
>>
File: Capture.jpg (142KB, 1147x859px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
142KB, 1147x859px
>>1134449
I made the design for the lid on Solid Works, the reason why I want to make it that thick is so that I could bore 1/4in' into the 3/4 Polycarbonate and fill it with my remaining Molding-Silicone (might as well not waste it.)

That will leave about 1/2in' worth of polycarbonat at the minimum thickness.

My uncle works at a shop that has a Mill and he's willing to make it given I give him the Polycarbonate. I know its expensive but I want this to last for a while.
>Man do I wish that I have a milling machine for myself.
>>
>>1134449
>>1134456
To be honest, this is the best case scenario. Otherwise I'll use a rubber hose and place it on top of the pot lid with a square sheet of Polycarbonate.
>>
>>1134455
>but if you cant find a bulkhead at your local hardware store in the plumbing section,
check the electrical section ,
specifically lamp hardware
Lamp hardware? well ok them.

Seriously, thanks anon.
>>
File: pipethreads.jpg (39KB, 1024x399px) Image search: [Google]
pipethreads.jpg
39KB, 1024x399px
>>1134468
>Lamp hardware? well ok them.
>Seriously, thanks anon.

im 100% serious

electrical lamp hardware use the same thread size/pitch as NPT and commonly use 1/8 and 1/4 npt sizes. they are not tapered, but that is minor details, since modern pneumatics dont use tapered fittings anyways. just make sure it is sealed properly with either a seal type ring or oring or telfon tape or something

also, from your drawing, you have a .23 hole in the center, im not sure yopur plan there but
pipe threads are not their nominal value
>>
>>1134494

>also, from your drawing, you have a .23 hole in the center, im not sure yopur plan there but pipe threads are not their nominal value

That's where I want to put the fittings. I honestly Don't know how big they will be when I get the bulkhead. I based the hole on what the YouTube video descrbed>>1134223
>>
Im thinkong of getting 1/2in' polycarbonate because I cant find anyone selling 3/4in'

Could it take a vacuum?
>>
>>1134494
did you Make a Vacuum chamber? What size fittings did you use? I couldn't find a 1/4 npt ball valve at a local store and fear that I may have to purchase them online.

does 1/4 size matter?
>>
>>1134632
Yes.
I have a chamber closer to 12" diameter, and have been using 1/2" pc for years.

Granted, it is not in a commercial environment, but it shows no signs of stress when used either.
>>
>>1134678
>>1134678
>I have a chamber closer to 12" diameter

close to my proposed 13.25" diameter lid. out of curiosity, how much did it cost? is it circular cut or squared when you got it?
>>
>>1134682
I honestly don't remember the cost. It has been at least 6 years ago.

It came as a square, and I've never bothered cutting it into a circle.
>>
>>1134683
I actually found the email invoice.
It was $21 for a 12" square, back in 1/11.
>>
>>1134684
I'm a tad bit worried about mine being roughly 14x14in'. I hope it dosn't cost more being over a foot squared.

I'm planning on contacting a plastic Supply co tomorrow.
>>
>>1134686
as in it's not the norm 12x12. and a 14x14 would be considered a special order.
>>
>>1134687
Yep.
TAP would charge $39+ship
>>
>>1134689
Perhaps I should get a new smaller pot.
>>
>>1134689
I am thinking of going to a close faulkner plastic location. Do you know of any other site other than TAP?
>>
>>1134690
I'm using a pressure pot meant for painting. Like harbor freight, but I sure don't remember paying $100 for it.

>>1134691
Amazon
ebay
onlinemetals.com
are the only other's I've used. Sometimes you get lucky with ebay. Sometimes you get screwed.
>>
>>1134694
>but I sure don't remember paying $100 for it.
what do you mean?
>>
>>1134695
just looked on harborfreight and they're asking $100 for the pot I'm using. Don't remember how I got it, but I really doubt I paid $100 for it.
>>
>>1134697
The Stock pot I purchased from Amazon was originally $60, but got it for $30.

Did you get it during a sale?
>>
>>1134225
>Really, you don't need a pressure gauge in the first place.

Explosive decompression and plastic shrapnel sounds pretty fun to pick out of your face and neck while you were hovering over the vacuum chamber without a pressure gauge.
>>
>>1134709

Are you trolling?

0.999 atmospheric pressure vs. 0.9999 atmospheric pressure isn't going to be the difference between the plastic breaking or not.

The added structural weakness from an extra hole for a pressure gauge would be more likely to cause it to break.
>>
When I do make the chamber, ill make an update thread, assuming that this one gets deleted before then
>>
>>1134709
That will never happen though, so he doesn't need one.
>>
>>1134723
>>1134950
>material failure rarely happens, so it's safe to assume it NEVER happens, and standard safety protocol can be ignored for the sake of convenience.

Okay, guys.
>>
>>1134953

It doesn't provide any safety in a vacuum chamber. If it's going to fail it's going to fail, the gauge won't give you any warning.
>>
>plastic shrapnel
>polycarbonate
does not compute

hes not flying a fucking spaceship
>>
>>1134446
Ebay for damn near anything, also motorcycle shops sell weld-in pipe bungs for custom fuel tank builds.

http://www.bungking.com/stainless-npt-bungs/
>>
File: horrible freight vacuum pump.jpg (136KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
horrible freight vacuum pump.jpg
136KB, 1200x1200px
I do it with one of those shitty Hazard Fraught paint pots and their shitty venturi type vacuum pump, but I have access to fucktons of shop air, and this is probably in no way energy efficient.

Works decently well.

I can't recommend the paint pot, though. Should be fine for vacuum, but find something else for pressure.
>>
>>1134494
Good to know. Thanks.
>>
>>1134694
8$ large cast aluminum pressure cooker from junk shop
>>
Purchase the ball valves from amazon
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.