[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a milling machine pays for itself doing random gimmick edc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: giphy.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 400x225px
Does a milling machine pays for itself doing random gimmick edc tools/jewelry for white color workers?
>>
>>1134169
No.
>>
>>1134169
If you have to ask this, I really doubt you actually have the skills needed to use one properly.
>>
>>1134172
>Hur dur
Maybe I don't but it ain't rocket science.
>>
File: 760_428_csupload_65721295.jpg (66KB, 760x428px) Image search: [Google]
760_428_csupload_65721295.jpg
66KB, 760x428px
>>1134171
Shit like pic related it's done in a couple minutes and it's sold for a couple hundred bucks. I'm pretty sure you can make easy money and pay for an harbor freight mill in no time.
>>
>>1134179
I can tell you right now for a fact that half of that wasn't made on a mill or a lathe and takes a lot longer than a few minutes to make.

>>1134177
It's still highly skilled labor that requires significant knowledge to get things that are consistent and look nice.
>>
No.

Buy one because you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, some extra space, and want a fun hobby.

Make sure you consider tooling when budgeting.
>>
>>1134186
Fair enough, the blanks were probably water jet cut or some other similar stuff, and couple minutes was too an exaggeration but you can get the point. And of course they are sold for top dollar due to hype and demand and offer volume but still.

In regards of skills it would be naive to think that doesn't require any, I didn't try to imply it. I'm just fairly sure that these type of product pretty much anyone can make after some learning.

>>1134189
Solid advice, thanks.
>>
>>1134195
>the blanks were probably water jet cut or some other similar stuff
Not if he's smart they weren't.
>>
>>1134169
yes, but not the kind of machines you get at harbor freight.

the most popular "money ball" machine in the manufacturing industry is the akira seiki JR/SR model CNC machines. quickest i ever saw a dude pay one off is 3 weeks of non stop churning of AR-15 parts.
>>
>>1134189
>Make sure you consider tooling when budgeting.

>Be me.
>Pick up an old wood lathe in good condition for cheap because it has no motor.
>Get old power tool motor for cheap because it has no tool.
>Sweet deal.
>...
>Can't find any used lathe chisels for cheap.
>Get a set of 8 chisels for almost the same cost as the lathe
>Can't afford decent wood for like 2 months after :(
>>
>>1134202
I know that feel

>Be poor as fuck
>Mom buys me a little lathe as a Christmas present
>Doesn't come with any faceplates, tailstock, or chisels
>Mom asked me all the time if I liked it and I was making things with it
>Sits unused for like 6 months because rent and food
>>
>>1134201
Did that include any facilities he's renting to put the machine, or the cost of rewiring his home if he's doing it out of the garage?
>>
>>1134320
he didn't have to rewire iirc. the guy lived on a farm.
>>
>>1134202
>not being a blacksmith and making your own tooling
Pathetic
>>
Take a machining course before buying shit you don't quite understand. While doing that, study HARD at hobby and professional machining forums like Practical Machinist.

To afford machine tools and a decent shop, study success. "Moving a Bridgeport" is a useful search string yielding many machine moving tips.

Study phase converters and VFD to power your three phase machine tools.

If making for profit, learn how to buy metal from commercial suppliers and learn what manufacturing processes you can outsource. For example laser cutting is dirt cheap and turns sheets of metal into many useful things like receiver blanks.

Milling machines are insanely handy so if you are already a welder and mechanic, you want one (the disciplines go together). Welding builds useful things for your shop including dollies to transport your machine tools without a rigger.

Remember you can rent these drop deck trailers:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/tractorguy15/CIMG0823.jpg
>>
>>1134177
I'd personally won't ever ask a machinist with next to no experience to do anything critical or expensive for me.
>>
>>1134834
>edc gimmicky tools
>critical
k
>>
>>1134179
what is that?
>>
>>1134861
toe clamps for hipsters
>>
>>1134861

Google says titanium prybar, I say useless chunk of metal. The dudes website is extremely cringe worthy as well so if you need a good chuckle look it up.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.