[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure if diy is the right place, but i'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Ditto.gif (11KB, 275x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ditto.gif
11KB, 275x300px
I'm not sure if diy is the right place, but i'd like to start learning coding to make video games. I'd like to do the artwork and the game itself.

My goal is to make games for cell phones. Some of which would be pay-to-play or buy into for better blah blah blah. What should I be focusing on, and what should be my educational path of programs and languages to learn?

The first game I want to make is a side-scroller. Basic idea and story, 16-bit graphics. Nothing special. But I'd like to make it an RPG. I'd also like to make it multi-player online if possible. Otherwise I'll just stick to the learning curve.

Anyone have recommendations on where to start?
>>
First learn C
It'll give you a good foundation for other languages.
You can use it for microcontrollers too, which can be fun.
Recommend The C Programming Language 2nd Edition

For android, the next step is java.
Once you learn that, get android studio.

Not sure about windows phones, I think C++ or C#

Apple, I have no idea
>>
/r/learnprogramming

^gathers all of the best resources online on the topic

this is more on-topic for /g/ btw, and they also have some lesser info on this in their sticky
>>
Senior game developer here, the shortes path would be to learn C and get the fundamentals of programming right then you could learn Unity game engine, its free and you can deploy to a couple dozen system including all mobiles devices
>>
>>>/g/59034724
>>
File: tmp_22170-148696512056959907519.jpg (72KB, 640x794px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22170-148696512056959907519.jpg
72KB, 640x794px
>>1134107

Amateur game dev general is probably closer to what you're looking for OP.

>>>/vg/168912823
>>
>>1134065
>if you just want to make mobile games then go get whatever development environment is recommended for the platform. apple costs money to make apps i think? windows uses visual studio (community edition is free) android no idea.
find some tutorials for your platform or something and get a feel for it. have a look at some different game mechanisms and how they work, usually an undersanding of fundamentals in software engineering is useful, start simple e.g. pong, how does the ball move and bounce? how do you detect collisions? how to avoid sqrt (expensive) when calculating euclidean distance. (just don't bother for comparisons) snake game typically you store the snake body parts in a dynamic array, maybe linked list possibly a queue.
for a platformer you will need to understand collision detection, how gravity works (basic physics understanding e.g a = dv/dt etc is useful) for jumping.
there is lots of neat stuff in game dev its quite interesting.

normally i would say learn c, look at asm, understand the basics of x86, basic cpu architecture, fetch-decode-execute cycle, etc etc etc. if you understand how something works the easier it is to use it and understand its quirks.

the truth however is that nowadays software engineering is a clusterfuck of frameworks on top of languages running in j-i-t interpreters on fucking virtual machines in some cloud somewhere.

good old honest c will show you how computers work, it won't count for shit when you are trying to wrap your head around the latest abstract functional paradigms. data structures will help though.

just fucking jump in and have a play, don't be afraid to experiment and just have fun. be prepared to start from scratch a few times when you realise half way through you should have done it differently to begin with.
>>
>>1134104
>reddit
Kill yourself
>>
>>1134110
>>1134108
>>1134107
>>1134105
>>1134104
>>1134099
Thanks for the info. If I have any questions, I'll head to one of the gaming boards.
>>
>>1134112
Kek
>>
>>1134112
>complaining about linking to great information online

take your meds
also, try to think beyond the regular 4ch "everything related to reddit is cancer" circlejerk

>>1134114
you're welcome
good luck
>>
>>1134065
Threejs and twojs
>>
>>1134118
First link is an intro to design patterns for humans. Even if design patterns weren't pure cancer, this particular explanation certainly is.
Second is A web dev framework tutorial.
Please kill me already it hurts to be alive.
3. Is scraping google possible
4. What are method definitions
5. How can anyone else expect to answer it if the op doesn't even know what he's asking about
6. Shit advice for a rambling diary entry
7. Can I run my laptop all the time.

Wow, sounds more like a great place to stroke your own ego by spewing out half baked drivel to unsuspecting idiots that won't know any better
>>
>>1134065

I've seen so many people exactly like you

Your chances of actually doing this are next to 0
>>
>>1134065
Get unity or visual studio community, both can make code that runs on all popular mobile platforms needing very little tweaking for platform specific implementations. And you wont have to use a dying shit tier language like java.
>>
File: 1463569860797.png (567KB, 608x3248px) Image search: [Google]
1463569860797.png
567KB, 608x3248px
>>1134065
There was a guy on /sci/ a while ago that wrote a loli rape simulator. iirc he made all the code and graphics available, so reverse engineering that might be very helpful
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8070778#p8074728
>>
>>1134065
I recommend TempleOS for your target platform, as a port of it to cell phones is bound to happen.
HolyC will be the sacred language you'll use to communicate your instructions. It's like C, but purged of impurities inserted by his sinful authors.
Also, please refrain from using networking. CIA niggers can't be trusted.
>>
>>1134363
Is this level of autism natural or have you been training for years?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.