[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to figure out how I would sew on layers on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 8

I'm trying to figure out how I would sew on layers on a toy, like this Pabu.

I've drafted a pattern for the head of my toy, but I don't know how or when I'd add these layers. The design is too intricate to incorporate into the main pattern for the head, so I'll have to sew it on top. (The little spikey markings of the eyebrows.)

I was thinking I could applique the dark markings onto a white panel, then applique that completed group onto the flattened head pieces (with left, gusset, right sewn together) before I join it all into a ball.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1133988
These guys look like they were done with the same technique, but I don't know how you'd do it.

I'd guess it would be handstitched onto the face after stuffing perhaps? But I can't see any visible stitching.
>>
>>1133990
There's visible stitching in this image, but it doesn't look like the white is part of the overall face pattern...?
>>
There was some people here a while back ago that where making stuffed animals by machine and some by hand sewing.. Idk if they are even around anymore its been some time... Did you try asking a board on reddit dedicated to this shit?
>>
File: IMG_3737.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3737.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>1134034
Not yet, i've not been on reddit before.

Here's the test body made of muslin so you can see where I've got to. I'm testing various sizes and shapes of legs there.
>>
File: IMG_3757.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3757.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
>>1134035
>>
>>1133988

are you going to put a hole in it so you can fuck it?
>>
>>1134036
I'll admit I'm no expert on sewing, I have more experience developing patterns than doing the actual sewing, but this is how I would do it.

First, your seams don't look like they allow for any salvage. Most sewn pieces, like the finished pieces picture, allow 1/2" salvage/gutter to sew together an item while it's inside out, then turn it outside in so it's correct. This gives the clean seams you're seeing in the other pictures.

As for the face, the brown and white border almost look like one piece, maybe one white piece with the brown ironed on? The only real sewing seems to be around the snout, from the ears to the white border, and then around the white border where you see the seams.

If all else fails, buy one and tear it apart.
>>
>>1134129
Are you commissioning me?
>>
File: IMG_3294.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3294.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>1134153
Hey thanks for taking a look, anon.

>First, your seams don't look like they allow for any salvage. Most sewn pieces, like the finished pieces picture, allow 1/2" salvage/gutter to sew together an item while it's inside out, then turn it outside in so it's correct. This gives the clean seams you're seeing in the other pictures.
Not sure if you're talking about the body or face here, but the seams on the body are no issue - the reason my cotton test body looks so ropey is because I'm using a material that has no stretch, simply because it's cheap. Also, I'm using a wide, zigzag stitch on it so I can easily unpick it and re-sew it to test different sizes. This panda was made using fleece and constructed with a straight stitch and her body's come out lovely. (Also you can see how I put the eye patches into the pattern.)

> If all else fails, buy one and tear it apart.
Both those Pabus were for sale a few years ago and only a few were made. I've messaged both makers but haven't had a response from either.

I've also been going around thrift shops trying to find a similar toy to compare, but on commercial toys these face sections are either incorporated into the pattern or stitched on normally but with a densely embroidered border for strength.
>>
File: IMG_3840[1].jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3840[1].jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>1134248
I've finally had some really good advice from soebody else who does a lot of sewing.

The stitch I need in this case is an overcast stitch.

The overcast stitch is used on applique for fastening the materials together and keeping the edges from unravelling.

You do an overcast stitch by coming out of the material and entering perpendicular to the edge, to make a very short visible stitch outwards. On the underside, move slightly along the edge and emerge. This way you'll create a series of perpendicular stitches at regular intervals. On the reverse, it'll look like a series of diagonal lines.
>>
File: IMG_3839[1].jpg (4MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3839[1].jpg
4MB, 3648x2736px
>>1134482
>>
>>1134240

no, I was just making sure you werent one of these fucking furries
>>
>>1133988
Interesting.
Watching this thread for updates
>>
>>1134482
>>1134487
Interestong. Keep going
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.