[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ I'm still setting up my controllers for my au

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-11-27_00-42-23.png (181KB, 759x577px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-27_00-42-23.png
181KB, 759x577px
Hi /diy/

I'm still setting up my controllers for my automated farming project.

Right now I'm configuring a web control panel hosted on a rPi zero webserver (using esp8266 for wifi). I'm having trouble deciding how I should connect to this rPi control server from a computer or mobile device.

I don't wish to use bluetooth because it's not as available on desktops, wifi keeps the options open.

I don't know if I should host a wifi network on the the raspberry pi with a redirect to the control panel for all http connections.

Or if I should have the raspberry pi connect to wifi. This presents a problem because the network would have to be preconfigured. Although these days someone could easily host a wifi hotspot network on their phone that its set to auto connect to.

I'm kinda favoring hosting a network on the pi with a network configuration section in the control panel for it to connect to a local router.

What would you guys say is a convenient way to get a headless IoT project online for configuration by a user?
>>
>>1133589
I would simply add a dns entry in my router. DHCP reservation too probably because its just easier than trying to keep track of what flavour of the week setting static ip in Linux is now. Fucking systemd you don't need a hundred layers of network managers
>>
>>1133589

Just do dual wifi. Cheap wifi modules are like $1.50 free shipping.
>>
>>1133589
The parts of horticulture you can automate can be done with timers. The parts you can't involve manual inspection.

What are you trying to automate, exactly? BC if you're not in there every few days you'll miss one of the thousand things that can go wrong but isn't big deal if you catch it early.
>>
>>1133880
I'm programming a raspberry pi controlling an arduino and all its IO glory to control misting cycles, ph balances, agitator propellers, solenoids, several pumps, co2 ratios, PAR spectrum balance, temp/humidity, and maybe more.

Most of this will be on schedules, but there is no one schedule to rule them all. Different plants have different needs, by objectifying those needs into code - I can take clones and conduct experiments to discover which configurations cater to those needs best.

To do that I need a control panel. Schedules are easy to code, as are webpages. I'd have to code it for the microcontroller either way. The challenge is finding a ubiquitous means of doing that over wifi.

Adding local controls adds in human interference, and increases overall build cost to add a screen when everyone is already staring at one.
>>
>>1133596
while that would get the job done, its not quite what I was looking for. I want to make this userfriendly so horticultural students could easily use it. Considering the technical knowledge needed to change DNS configuration, that would be asking the normies too much.
>>
>>1134158
DNS is set by DHCP, unless they have purposely disabled that. If the pi and the student are both connected to a router running dnsmasq or whatever it can add whatever entries it wants, transparent to the user.
>>
Just make the pi set up it's own network when it can't find one it knows the credentials for. Make people connecting land on a page they can use to set the wifi settings. Then use that to connect.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.