[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know of a dirt cheap way to rubberize small plastic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Does anyone know of a dirt cheap way to rubberize small plastic parts?

I bought some really cheap computer mice for a project and the mouse wheels are unfortunately quite slippery. They look like pic related except they're hard plastic so there's little grip.

Because the pieces are small I can't use anything too thick. It needs to be a relatively thin layer. And I'd like for it to be reasonably uniform although it doesn't need to be pretty necessarily.

This is a project where I'm trying to see how little I can spend on it so price is important. Something unconventional will likely be better than a specialized product in this regard.

I know Plasti Dip makes some products (I have no experience with). I think they're a bit expensive for this and I'm not sure if they have something that would be both thin and grippy. And I know you can get a tube of latex caulk for around $5 though I don't know how much trouble that would be to try to work with with like a small paint brush, or even if it adheres well to plastics for regular use. And then there's rubber cement, but won't that just rub off? Maybe there is some other kind of glue/adhesive that could be used for grip?

Anyways just looking for any suggestions or experience. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1133175
I said latex caulk but I meant silicone. I don't think the latex would work well.
>>
>>1133175
>Does anyone know of a dirt cheap way to rubberize small plastic parts?
plastidip
>>
if you think you're going to coat the wheel with something, fagedaboudit

they're made to be a specific size and changing that will mean it will cease to operate
>>
>>1133214
Nah there's like 1-2 mm of clearance around the wheel without modifying the PCB.
>>
>>1133175
Rough them up with sandpaper.
>>
Thin coat of Plastidip

Small wide rubber band around wheel

If clearance is too tight, snad down the wheel.
>>
>>1133175

vinal electrica tape
>>
Plastidip was invented for rubberizing stuff.
>>
>>1133175
Put a rubber band around it?
>>
Just use a razor blade or [generic rotary tool] to cut some bigger grooves around the wheel to get better traction.
>>
get some black rtv gasket maker from any auto parts store. Squirt some on your finger and rub it onto whatever surface you choose, let dry. This shits amazing, I use it at strategic points on all of my mice and it gives a killer grip.
>>
the rtv is like $6 bucks and will last you forever.
>>
>>1133175
Remove mouse wheel, clean with solvent or alcohol.
Go to nearest bicycle shop, get very slim road bike tube with a puncture from the thrash bin.
Cut off a 5mm wide slice with sharp scissors.
Clean off white powder and random dirt, let dry.
Slide onto mousewheel, align properly.
Apply CA glue, let cure.
Reassemble mouse.
???
Profit!

Step 2: Cut rest of bicycle tube into 3mm wide slices. Enjoy 5yr supply of high quality rubber bands which are superior to normal rubber bands.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.