[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/, I started a garden last week, having never planted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: image2.jpg (1MB, 1620x1215px) Image search: [Google]
image2.jpg
1MB, 1620x1215px
Hi /diy/,

I started a garden last week, having never planted something my entire life. Today I planted some tomatoes, and basil plant sprouted last week. Hopefully they grow well and don't die, but I'm just playing it by ear now.

Tips / advice appreciated. General gardening thread too if anyone wants to show off their gardens.
>>
>>1133131
Good luck with your veggies friendo
>>
>>1133131
see
>>>/out/944669
>>
>>1133143
th-thanks
>>
File: PicsArt_02-18-04.27.23.jpg (919KB, 2361x1331px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_02-18-04.27.23.jpg
919KB, 2361x1331px
>>1133131
I tilled mine this morning about twice the size of last year.
Ground was a lil wet still so it was a lot more work then it should have been.
Not sure what I want to plant Must yet
Still gotta ammend my soil.
Must be getting close to time for beer.
>>
File: 20170220_144859.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_144859.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
I just bought some seed starters this morning and got a small variety of things going:

Yellow Squash
Zuchinni
Beefsteak Tomatoes
Onions
Broccoli
Sunflowers (just because)

My yard is total fucking shit for planting though, I have nasty clay that turns into sludge every time it rains. I'm going to have to build a raised garden bed to plant my seedlings into.
>>
File: 20170220_145702.jpg (2MB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_145702.jpg
2MB, 2016x1134px
>>1133131
>>1134017

Here's my shit yard. It's the middle of winter here in Tennessee but still 50-70 degrees on average and even in the spring it doesn't grow much better. Also, rocks everywhere under the soil, my homebuilder did not bother to clean up the land at all when plopping my house here.
>>
File: 20170220_131108.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_131108.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>1133131
Not really gardening but this chicken is a mama bird. Hatched these adorable little fucks on friday
>>
>>1134018
Fellow anon, don't despair. Clay is not as bad as you think. If I had to choose between a clay soil or a sandy soil to start, I would pick the clay one. Basically clay is full of nutrients and as you may have noticed, has a good water retention. Sadly, clay often gets compacted and/or asphyxiation plants because it doesn't have enough drainage. You need to put organic mater and lime carbonate in order to make the texture more "fluffy" (sorry, English isn't my first language). Put some stone powder like basalt to lighten the soil too. It will take time but once you have it nice and soft, continue to put compost, composted manure. And also find crops/plants which have strong roots in order to crack the soil underneath

About the rocks, you should get rid of the ones in the 30 cm, not below (too much of hassle) and they'll increase the drainage
>>
>>1133131
Knowing how far to space your plants is important.
>>
>>1133131
get some cages/wire or rig something up

one tomato could take up one of those boxes....which should probably be at least twice that depth

>>1134018
>>1134017
>>1134024
have pretty crappy soil that gets baked in the sun during the summer...peppers have not done well, but tomatoes have really grown well planted right into the ground
>>
>>1134017
>>1134018

I also want to start composting some of the yard waste strung all over the place there. I have a metric fuckton of dead leaves and branches at my disposal, and I could probably find all the greenery I need in the nearby empty house lots.
>>
File: IMG_7908.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7908.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1133131
Indoor gardener here, since I live in an apartment and soil is messy I went hydro.

Got lettuce, basil, kale, peppers and broccoli going on atm
>>
>>1134028
your gonna have to dig. tryhards would say 2 ft, but 1 ft is good enough.

if the thought of digging out that much dissuades you, i would suggest shrinking your plot.

http://www.growbiointensive.org/PDF/FarmersHandbook.pdf

the soil conditioning chapter of this is quite good and applicable to small plots. its really only a pain in the ass the first time you do it.
>>
>>1134031
>I have a metric fuckton of dead leaves and branches at my disposal, and I could probably find all the greenery I need in the nearby empty house lots.

be careful with what trees you do this with. some are actually toxic or will righteously fuck up the PH of your compost.
>>
>>1133131
Horticulturist reporting. Tomatoes are heavy feeders. Pick up some all purpose miracle group shake and feed or osmocote PLUS (regular doesn't have macro nutrients in it).

Compare the numbers/amounts of what you buy vs the tomato-specific shake n feed (or just spend the $ for any tomato food with macros and use that.)

Keep track of when you fertilize with CRF.

Stick a couple of garlic cloves in the ground nearby. Helps with mites and other pests.

And of course - do not over-water. Resist the urge.

Clay soils aren't too bad. Tomatoes have strong root systems. If you see any purslane, grab it and toss it in the clay. It has a deep penetrating taproot that helps other plants get deep.

If you end up loving gardening, look into composting in a trash can with holes drilled all over. Chop up any twigs or bark (except walnut, pretty much), keep it moist and in the sun, and you're golden.

Idk its late and I'm sick as fuck. GL
>>
>>1133153
Don't till. Just top dress.
>>
File: 1487588324099.jpg (408KB, 540x748px) Image search: [Google]
1487588324099.jpg
408KB, 540x748px
>>1133131
found this pic in other thread.
looks interesting anyone ever build one of these?
>>
>>1134520
You can plant it is straw and just lift the straw in a few months and harvest new potatoes all summer long. (Plus being in straw, they remain clean).
>>
>>1134520
these things are a meme and don't really work. they basically force the plant to constantly spend all of its energy on busting its leaves out of the soil. if you do this, you'll have worse yields than if you just put some potatoes in the ground and do nothing.

you can "mound them up" a little bit once, but don't push it.
>>
>>1133143
I feel like, he's doing something. Himself even.
>>
>>1134524
Dry hay also works great.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.