[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im thinking of making my own bed frame. Haven't touched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 4-platform-bed.jpg (63KB, 499x688px) Image search: [Google]
4-platform-bed.jpg
63KB, 499x688px
Im thinking of making my own bed frame. Haven't touched wood since highschool. Is it possible to stain glued wood? Is it ok to oil it or does it have to be varnished?
>>
>>1133090
Nothing sticks to dried PVA glue. Not epoxy, not silicone nothing! The only thing that sticks to dried pva glue is super glue.

When gluing with PVA always wipe up squeeze out when you can.

As fsr as your second question. I normally use these finishes in this order from least durable to most.

Beeswax
Oil finishes
Shellac
Water based poly
Oil based poly
Polyester resin
Epoxy

But each one has its uses... For example you can really only do real french polishes with shellac. You can get the same immediate effect with epoxy. But epoxy wont brown or darken over time. But may yellow instead. The shellac ages and that's why you don't paint or scrape old vintage finishes unless you absolutely need too. Or its just really fucking ugly
>>
>>1133090
>stain glued wood?
you mean will it cover up a horrible glue job of boards? no
but as long as you clean it up probably and use titebond or even regular white glue, it shouldn't be a problem

>Is it ok to oil it or does it have to be varnished?
no one ever has to do anything....I don't see why you'd want to oil it unless you're making it out of nice wood, which seems a waste for just a bed frame

just use polyurethane
>>
>>1133090

My fucking shins are cringing so hard looking at that stupid bed design
>>
>>1133205
I'm really disappointed

they didn't use any pallets
>>
>>1133090
>solid bed base

do you want mold because thats how you get mold
>>
>>1133234
You might wanna zoom in on the first picture there champ. Take notice at the corner under the mattress.
>>
File: 2000508462575.jpg (262KB, 1542x1542px)
2000508462575.jpg
262KB, 1542x1542px
the original design I saw called for pocket screws. The last few beds I helped put together used the things in pic. Not even sure what they're called. Any benefit in using them versus screws?
>>
File: 2000508462889.jpg (26KB, 742x742px)
2000508462889.jpg
26KB, 742x742px
this goes in between
>>
>>1133429
god no, that's even worse
>>
>>1133429
They're camlocks made to hold in particle board but they need to be precisely placed or the joint will wobble for make it yourself use screws in solid wood or ply
>>
>>1133429
Yes, they're a cheaper version of bed bolts.
if you have screws in wood that can be ok, but every time you take them out and put them in you chew up the wood some more and make it a worse joint.
Instead bed bolts or threaded inserts you can take apart and put together and tighten tons of times with no issue.

TLDR camlocks like that work when the length is perfect to 1/8", but bed bolt will be better.
>>
>>1133106
also, protip, wait for glue sqeezeout to skim over and scrape off with a chisel or scraper or i guess credit card. wiping it while wet can spread it if you're not careful.
wiping it with alcohol or laquer thinner will show the glue spots that you need to sand down before staining. it also raises the grain so you can sand it smooth before staining.
>>
File: IMG_0657.jpg (998KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0657.jpg
998KB, 1536x2048px
I went with a biscuit joiner. Large lag bolts for attaching side rails to head and foot boards. You should always sand after the glue dries anyway, making sure there is no glue causing trouble.
>>
>>1134160

>Those unevenly spaced slats

You're a degenerate
>>
>>1134162
I think he did that on purpose. The left and right side set of slats are even and it appears he used the same pattern for the footboard.

Looks good op. I'd have gone with a darker finish to decrease the contrast around the knots but that's just personal preference.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.