[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TL;DR: Where does it "breaks" the wood on Scenario

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

File: Wood project.png (26KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Wood project.png
26KB, 1076x767px
TL;DR:
Where does it "breaks" the wood on Scenario 1?
Where does it "breaks" the wood on Scenario 2?
Which Scenario is stronger?

Long story:
I am planning to build my own workbench/shelf thing.

I am planning to put some heavy stuff in the shelf above the bench, because I don't any space left on my garage.

It is imposible to nail or screw anything to a wall, so I need this thing to be fully supported by itself.

3 of the columns of my bench/shelf are just straight columns, that support a rectangle of wood above it.

The problem is my 4th column... I don't want this column to be in my bench space, because I need this corner to be free, so I can easily move large stuff on my workbench.

Is there any other way of doing so, other than scenario 1 or 2?

Thanks guys.

I will put an image of the workbench I am trying to build
>>
File: Design.png (26KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Design.png
26KB, 1076x767px
This is what I am trying to do
>>
>>1131541
both are more or less strong because one is just a skewed version of another

and if you can't even give a ballpark to "ridiculously heavy", this thread is meaningless because nothing will be strong enough unless it is "more than ridiculously strong"
>>
>>1131548
What I want to know is how this thing is going to break
>>
>>1131551
the post will bend and then break in the middle

or the tiny string is going to break first
>>
File: 1487177864898.jpg (104KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
1487177864898.jpg
104KB, 1076x767px
Red is where I'd think you'll find it breaks first given its wood but unlikely.

Pink is the joint that I think is likely to break first.

All comes down to how well and what you're making them out of really.
>>
File: 1024px-Lever_(PSF).png (125KB, 1024x897px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Lever_(PSF).png
125KB, 1024x897px
>>1131556
I also agree with your red circles

It is basically a "simple machine". Just a type of lever.

The red circles are the Fulcrum. Underneath those red circles are the resitances.
>>
File: Nope.png (23KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Nope.png
23KB, 1076x767px
>>1131560
>>1131556
>>1131553
nope

the straight post isn't holding to anything
>>
File: Suggestion.png (15KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Suggestion.png
15KB, 1076x767px
>Scenario 2
there is no point on using the diagonal wood, you might as well use a steel cable

>Scenario 1
Lower the diagonal wood as low as possible.

In case of failure, instead of choping your head off, on Scenario 1 or 2, this will push you away from the workbench.
>>
File: Ahem.png (12KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Ahem.png
12KB, 1076x767px
>>1131566
Ahem...
>>
Isn't this whole "heavy weight" thing just sort of to ask where the point of failure will occur and not specifically the practicalities of large weight hanging design?
>>
>MFW
OP is going to hang himself from his glorious new workbench and transcend to our new DIY god
>>
>>1131565
>TL;DR:
>Where does it "breaks" the wood on Scenario 1?
>Where does it "breaks" the wood on Scenario 2?
>Which Scenario is stronger?

When someone opens a thread with TL;DR, don't expect an answer beyond the obvious.
>>
File: Failure mode.png (20KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Failure mode.png
20KB, 1076x767px
If the "diagonal" stud isn't nailed into the workbench table, then the whole thing will just pivot

That's how I think it would fail
>>
File: Checkmakte.png (26KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
Checkmakte.png
26KB, 1076x767px
>>
>>1131551
Depends entirely on how you fasten it
>>
File: 1487177885817.png (19KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
1487177885817.png
19KB, 1076x767px
>>1131542
Just go for the diagonal, or at least add that part.
>>
File: balloonsupport.jpg (198KB, 800x892px) Image search: [Google]
balloonsupport.jpg
198KB, 800x892px
>>1131541

op do u evn lift
>>
>>1131541
The one on the left puts more stress on the base joint
>>
>>1131541
probably 2 is stornger, cause the horizaontal beam is shorter and is less prone to buckling
>>
>>1131541
It depends, it depends, it depends
>>
>>1131541
OP it will produce the same effect assuming those two drawn triangles are the same in both cases.

The lower portion of wood touches the long span at the same point so you aren't exactly differentiating the load positioning.
>>
File: 1487177864898.png (21KB, 1076x767px) Image search: [Google]
1487177864898.png
21KB, 1076x767px
They'll fail at the bottom, pic related. This is where leverage in favor of the weight is greatest.

But, as has been pointed out, how heavy "ridiculously heavy" is is important. And you really need some sort of gusseting or something at the bottom. Remember: Triangles.
>>
>>1131852
Nope,
the bending moment is same along the vertical post.
From earlier pictures I don't see why vertical post couldn't be attached to the wall.
In 1 scenario you you get away with lower overall height. This configuration is used, when you know that your inclined member won't buckle.
In 2 scenario you have a greater height, but inclined member can have a very slender member (for example cable).
Where the horizontal member is attached to the vertical post, you can imagine that connection as a pin connection, under load it would break really easily, so all the main load carrying is on the inclined member. I think you can even intuitively see, that the load carrying capabilities grow as the inclined member becomes more vertical.
Anyways, I don't know about the connections in wood, but I'd say they are not the strongest kind, so the ones on inclined member would fail first.
This is an answer based on the assumption, that the vertical post is attached to the wall. If not, it should break along the vertical portion.
>>
>>1131541
OP, ill do you a solid, what you thinking of using for materials? 4x4's? 2x4's?
>>
>>1131541
#1 is stronger in that the load is spread across the vertical piece as sheer and compressive.

if you can, extend the diagonal piece behind the verticle piece and tie it back in horizontally at the level of the bench so it makes a Z
>>
If you give us info on what materials and dimensions you're using I can sim it for you and show you exactly what would happen
>>
>>1131965
I'm using 2x3
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.