[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got 2 guitar pedals that both draw 9v 500ma, and my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1425961394367.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1425961394367.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
I've got 2 guitar pedals that both draw 9v 500ma, and my powerbar has only 1 9v 500ma output. Would running a y splitter from the 1 output into 2 pedals be feasible?
>>
>>1131433
Not likely, at low output levels where each pedal may be drawing 200mA you should be ok, but at higher gain levels both pedals will approach their maximum rated current when you really lay into it, which could lead to all sorts of audio artifacts or the failure of your power supply. A splitter will be fine if you have a 1A or more power supply.
>>
>>1131434
ah I see. so when splitting volts its goes ok but with amps you have to add it up?
>>
File: euRIo.jpg (70KB, 606x1001px) Image search: [Google]
euRIo.jpg
70KB, 606x1001px
>>1131435
You need to consider ohms law. V=IR, voltage equals current divided by resistance. I will qualify this post by stating I have been drinking whiskey since I got home from work a few hours ago, and have just ripped a few cones down as well.

In the scenario you describe, you are increasing resistance as seen by the power supply. You have gone from one pedals worth of resistance to two. This modifies the value R, which inherently modifies V and I.

Think of a water flowing through a pipe. Voltage defines how much pressure is pushing the water, current defines how many water molecules pass a given point in a given timeframe. In electronic terms we can consider electrons to be water molecules, and the pipe a wire. Your set up as it stands is pushing electrons through the pipe, but there are not enough electrons for the circuit to utilise. Increasing voltage won't do much, you're just hurling the same amount of electrons into the circuit at a faster rate. You need more electrons.

My brain is telling me I'm wrong and to shut up now, so I'm going to stop here, post pic related, and let the rest of the board heckle my shit while explaining this to you properly.

Good day.
>>
>>1131433
>guitar pedals that both draw 9v 500ma

wtf is in a guitar pedal that draws 4.5w? there isn't any power amplification going, just small signal processing (analog or digital)
>>
>>1131460
Both as in each one is 9v volt, not both of them together.
>>
>>1131920
9v*500ma is 4.5 watts power draw. Which is a lot for a measly pedal.
>>
>>1131932
>9v*500ma is 4.5 watts power draw. Which is a lot for a measly pedal.

im willing to bet 500mA is just a number on a sticker, and actual current consumption is one-tenth of that. but without a meter, theres no way to know.
>>
>>1131938
>actual current consumption is one-tenth of that.
This is what I >>1131441 was alluding to. Unless you are driving the fuck out of it (by say, running a high-z signal through it like a synth or other "active" output device) you wont hit peak draw. But hey, its best to advocate the right way of doing things. Make sure your power supply is capable of driving the device under all circumstances.
>>
>>1131435
Exactly.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.