[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What glue do I use? See that gauge pod? It keeps falling off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 20170213_142550.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170213_142550.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
What glue do I use?
See that gauge pod? It keeps falling off when i park outside because the glue keeps melting. I used liquid nails last time and it fell off. What glue should i get? It needs to withstand the heat in the car when its parked outside. The pod is plastic btw
>>
File: pACE3-5758521enh-z7.jpg (93KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-5758521enh-z7.jpg
93KB, 435x435px
>>1130215
Use some of this it's not technically glue but I bet it will work
>>
>>1130223
But isnt gasket maker meant to come off
>>
>>1130223
>>1130235
Spoken like someone that's never scraped it out of the channels of an aluminum block before :)
It comes off, but not as easily as peeling off a premade gasket. It's sticky as fuck and adheres well, and it'll handle your heat requirement since it holds at engine temperatures.

Hard to say if it will handle the weight of that thing as it's not designed to actually support a load, though. Wonder what the shear forces will do to it particularly when you're driving down a bumpy road. One way to find out I guess...
>>
>>1130235
It is a sealant and not a glue. That being said it is pretty fucking sticky and hard as shit to get off
>>
Jbweld?
>>
>>1130215
Shit called The Right Stuff. That is, if you NEVER want it to come off.
>>
>>1130287
Yeah i dont need it to come off as i already drill holes to take gauges out if they ever fail (unlikely as they arent mechanical)
>>
>>1130243
There isnt much weight on it as i stuckm two bolts at the back to hold it up, problem is there is no room for bolts at the front so it has to be stuck on with some kind of adhesive
>>
>>1130215
Cyanoacrylate
>>
>>1130390
This or epoxy. Just be careful and have alcohol/rag ready to clean any squeezout
>>
>>1130215
Epoxy?
>>
>>1130215
>What glue do I use?
screws
>>
>>1130509
this. or, since you're connecting it to panelling, trim pins/rivets.

superglue doesnt expand at the same rate as the thing you're bonding. so when the car heats and cools, it will just fall off. araldite softens then almost liquifies at 65C.

anything you do wont work. because you're trying to force it to just stick to a surface that isnt flat.

>>1130243
spoken like someone who has never just pulled off a part that was sealed with RTV sealant. its hard to get out of the little grooves in the mating surfaces, its not very strong.

that thing is for mounting on the door frame you retard, not protrude into the footwell. the first time a passenger gets in they'll kick it off.
>>
why not just use some 2 part epoxy?
>>
>>1130215
Most glues won't work they have to be within temperature specifications the entire time they're curing and can be damaged by heat.

Prep the area and use a 2 part epoxy.

This is from a non car guy, though. Your best bet would be posting on a custom car forum.
>>
>>1130215
Problem with it being there is your passenger is going to knee the fucking shit out of it
Clean off the glue with acetone and move it up closer to the top of the consoles bezel, you might need to chop up part of the cluster pod so that it fits up a bit closer to the curves.

2 part epoxy, masking tape to hold it there for half-1hr so it sets firm
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.