[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I CNC, /diy/? I want to design one just for driling and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Cnc mill.jpg (119KB, 1258x703px) Image search: [Google]
Cnc mill.jpg
119KB, 1258x703px
How do I CNC, /diy/?

I want to design one just for driling and v-notching PCBs/contour milling. I have 3 nema 17 stepper motors, and I've ordered a few A4988 drivers off aliexpress, together with a CNC shield. I'll use an Arduino running GRLBL to control the machine. I understand the basics of end stops and everything else, but... how about the phisical structure of the machine itself? What are my options? If my working area is roughly the same size as an A4 sheet, can I use simply use 8mm rods and those linear bearing blocks for every axis?

I intend to have a belt drive on both the X and Y axes, and make the Z axis using a screw drive.

I sketched this just now, tell me what you think. Also, post your machines for inspiration.
>>
from the sounds of it, what you're building is essentially a 3d printer type cartesian robot. Probably not going to be strong enough to really cut much of anything, especially with belt drive.

I've built a pcb milling machine that uses nema 17s, but it was screws on all axes.
>>
>>1130361
It looks like a screw-driven cnc would be much easier to implement than a belt-driven one
>>
>>
>>
>>1130361
Typical carbide bit for pcb drilling will explode if you do much as blow on it. Large cutting forces aren't required so much as best avoided
>>
>>1130393
Until you consider the extra loading, thrust bearings to eliminate whip.
>>
>>1129964

Built two CNC machines here; currently working on converting a lathe and will eventually do a small, granite-base gantry mill.

Quick rundown of the important bits:

Machine rigidity is paramount if you want high accuracy cuts. This isn't nearly as important for machines expecting very light loads (such as 3D printers or PCB mills).

The cheapest you can do is threaded rod, whatever wood is lying around, and whatever straight-ish metal things you can find. Rigid metallic conduit (for electrical wiring) is pretty good for this.

Belts give you a very fast machine, at the expense of some rigidity and accuracy. A mix of belts on X/Y and screw on Z can make things a little easier, but will severely limit your speed in anything but 2D/2.5D work. Not really a problem if you don't plan on doing 3D contouring, but just something to consider.

Go for Chinese ballscrews and linear rail if you have some (but not a lot) of cash to spend. They can be had for pretty cheap.

Higher-power Chinese stepper drivers (36-48V, up to 3A in my case) tend to be sketch as fuck. Especially the multi-axis ones. They'll usually work, to some bare minimum capacity, but either have some random issue somewhere or have wildly overstated capability. I've never gotten one that was actually good. The first blew itself up, the second had shitty optocouplers that wouldn't let me step faster than like 10 inches/minute, and the third was just kind of all-around crap. Can't speak for the ones made for smaller motors.
>>
Not a machinist myself but I find this topic very interesting. There is this old guy I watch on YouTube and has short playlist about building a diy cnc router and some of the problems and difficulties he overcome on the process. Not to mentioned his great sense old humor. A must watch for any /diy/
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNp7TZf13Bq5simEsDdrZYL6xBIjxsDzZ
>>
Dango.... I run a cnc shop, havnt built one from scratch but have assembled a couple. I'll keep coming in.... busy AF right now... but i want more CNC threads
>>
>>1130393
This.... I have a screw for the Z axis... which I would recommend for rigidity, but steppers on gear tracks to move the x and y. If you are making a smaller table I'd say go for it.... but two are always better than one if you can be bothered to deal with the pain in the ass of tuning both motors.... but at that point you might as well run steppers to gear tracks.....
>>
File: IMG_20160611_113056964(1).jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160611_113056964(1).jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
>>1131398
>steppers on gear tracks

I've seen that on a big "diy" cnc router.

What I'm looking at now are those "openbuilds" CNC machines. They're all made out of a certain kind of extruded aluminum beam which I can easily find, screws, a bunch of wheels and joining plates which I can easily have made out of polyacetal. There are a few design flaws (i.e: gantry plates), but they're not a bad tradeoff at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nepk7fh-KOQ
>>
>>1129964

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTXOorupCLqqQifs2jbz7rQ

this guy did videos on it
>>
File: DESCRIPTION-OX-Z-2.jpg (3MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DESCRIPTION-OX-Z-2.jpg
3MB, 2448x2448px
>>1131526
2 many custom-made aluminum plates etc
>>
>>1130435

Drilling, sure, but I think there's a very good chance it'll bog down running an engraving tool.
>>
>>1131547
>that drive detail
wow that seems pretty fucking stupid.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.