[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /DIY/, Please have mercy on me as I am more mechanically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tankoff.jpg (41KB, 503x415px) Image search: [Google]
tankoff.jpg
41KB, 503x415px
Hey /DIY/, Please have mercy on me as I am more mechanically inept than you could imagine - but I am urgently trying to fix something on my motorcycle so I'll try and make this short:

I need to adjust a sensor that controls a valve. When the valve is closed, it should be 0.5 and when it's open, it should be 4.5

It's currently out of calibration a little bit (reading 0.58) so I need to bring it down.

I am currently using the upside down U setting on my Fluke multimeter to get these voltage readings.

This service manual is telling me "unplug the sensor and adjust the closed position to 1.5k ohms"

What the fuck does that mean? All I know how to do is get these voltage readings. How do I measure the ohms?
>>
"upside down U" = Ω = Ohms.
>>
>>1129958
Do you know why the reading rapidly changes from 0.5 to 500 if I turn the sensor too far?
>>
>>1129963
no solid idea, guess would be that it's turning all the way around to the highest setting.
>>
>>1129969
do you think it's maybe my multimeter giving a more precise reading? i.e it automatically starts telling me mv instead of 0.5volts
>>
>>1129972
Hold up, aren't you trying to measure Ohms? Or is it voltage?

Either way, it's flipping because you have an auto ranging multimeter and the value you're reading is right about the threshold. 0.5 V is 500 mV.
>>
>>1129957
>When the valve is closed, it should be 0.5
>"unplug the sensor and adjust the closed position to 1.5k ohms"

yo, before you can fix the motorcycle you need to unfuck yourself.
>>
take a picture of what you're talking about. I don't think you even know how to ask the right question.
>>
>>1129957
First.. Year, Make, Model.

Going to make a wild ass assumption here.

Most likely that's a "Throttle Position Sensor".
Meaning it doesn't control the "valve", it measures how var the throttle is open and tells the computer how to adjust injection/fuel.
There will be three pins on the sensor. The center is the output. One side will be voltage and the other ground.
But ignore that. Disconnect your battery and disconnect the wire leading to the sensor.
Measure from the outer pins to the center.
One pin will be very low, that's the "closed" side. If you open the throttle it will slowly increase till it hits the max or "WOT" Wide Open Throttle position. If there is infinite resistance (open) between the outer two pins then the sensor is shot.
The transition between both of these should be smooth with NO jumps or drop-outs. It's common for these to fail right where the throttle usually resides when cruising.

Once you figure out what the closed side is, adjust it.

You do have a service manual?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.