[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tried to fix my headphones, left ear didn't have sound,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: DSC_0148.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0148.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Tried to fix my headphones, left ear didn't have sound, I had to move the cable and hold it to get sound.

Decided to cut it, regret it. Turns out you can't just twist together the cables to make it work.
>>
>>1128962
>Turns out you can't just twist together the cables to make it work

you learn from fuck ups, that is life

time for new headphone
>>
>>1128964
If twisting doesn't work, neither will soldering, right? I can try soldering but as far as I know it won't make a difference.
>>
>>1128966
Its fucked anon live and learn
>>
>>1128962
>Turns out you can't just twist together the cables to make it work
Yes you can.

Did you remember to remove the insulation?

Did you twist the same colored wires together?

It's probably the speakers themselves that are fucked if it's not working and you know you did nothing wrong.
>>
>>1128962
There is a spray insulation in addition to the rubber insulation. You'll need sandpaper before you solder
>>
>>1128978
Personally, I just use a lighter and burn it all off.

>set it alight
>blow it out
>take the lighter back to the exposed wire until it glows red
>as soon as its not glowing, cool it by licking my fingers and pinching it

Twisting after that generally works.
>>
>>1128974
>>1128978
>>1128980
Going to try getting rid of the insulation, going with the lighter since it sounds so simple.
>>
>>1128962
>Can't just twist together
It's a litz wire then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

It's a way to reduce wire diameter needed for carrying same current in high-frequency conditions (exploiting skin effect).

Making explanation straight, each 'strand' of the stranded wire is insulated. Only circumference carries AC, so less copper is needed. It pays off – extra insulation is less expensive than otherwise needed copper.

Just like
>>1128978
>>1128980
said: you need to get rid of the insulation between strands.
Lighter is the right way.
Then you can twist, or better, solder.
>>
The fix is easy but you've made a right pig's ear of it by the looks of it, take the whole thing apart, replace the wire, solder, heatshrink, put it all back together.

Please don't just fucking nigger rig it unless you have no shame.
>>
>>1129069
Thanks for the information, didn't know that.

>>1129076
Is the wire something generic I can find easy in a special store?
>>
>>1129088
The easiest way is to get some shitty headphones at the dollar store and take their cord. It will break after a while due to shitty quality but you can just keep replacing it.
>>
>>1129088
Wire is wire. The resistivity will always be negligible unless you're using some retarded metal. Auto parts stores have em. Larger gauge smaller diameter.
>>
>>1129088
>>1129093
actually literally any wire will do
>>
File: il_fullxfull.340309225.jpg (287KB, 1500x1097px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.340309225.jpg
287KB, 1500x1097px
>>1129094
>>1129095
True, but durability and tangling depends on the wire quality, materials and construction…
For headphones I recommend pic related. (Whatever it is called in English. Google suggests 'cloth covered electrical wire', but I doubt it's the right name. Found the pic by a wild guess of 'fabric wire'.) It doesn't tangle that much (it's less flexible) and looks better than ordinary black round PVC-insulated wire.
>>
>>1129099
My headphone (now broken) actually has that cover, but I may stick to the regular wire, easier job and I can use the current cover.
>>
> heating the wire red hot
Great way to ruin the structure of the copper and ensure it will fatigue break at the slightest load.

The correct answer is acetone. It will clean the enamel off no problem.
>>
>>1129146
Trying this first, then.
>>
>>1129146
>Great way to ruin the structure of the copper and ensure it will fatigue break at the slightest load.
hasn't happened yet

maybe you're just a fag
>>
File: 2658633-5257751709-13377.jpg (110KB, 350x377px) Image search: [Google]
2658633-5257751709-13377.jpg
110KB, 350x377px
>>1129197
Someone has a different way of doing things and that make me angry

Who's a faggot here?
>>
>>>>1129146
isn't this annealing copper, putting it at its most malleable state?
>>
>>1129282
I'm the guy that does it and I don't even know, or care. It's pretty thin so it likely doesn't matter.

I just do it to ensure that there's absolutely no insulation left on the thing.

If I'm feeling cheeky, I'll take some graphite powder and white glue and coat the twisted wires in that after. It's sticky and conductive.
>>
Bunch of retards in this thread. Take the insulation off and match each color wire by twisting to make sure it works (if it doesn't, it's the speaker and you can't fix it), if it does, solder each connection and put heatshrink or electrical tape over it.
>>
>>1128962
Did this motherfucker seriously twist and tape insulated wires, and expect them to make connection? I know 4chun is full of children, but I thought they stayed on b and other garbage boards.
>>
>>1130554
>Take the insulation off
>>1130582
> Did this motherfucker seriously twist and tape insulated wires
You seem to be unable to understand what you read (if you do read).
He did take the insulation off.
What he saw looked like a stranded wire, so he twisted it.
It didn't work, for the wire was thin painted with transparent insulation.
>>
File: IMG_0291.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0291.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>1129099
It's called multi-conductor cable. Cable generally means "length of 2 or more wires sharing an insulator." In your case you're replacing a 3-conductor cable, but you can make a 2-conductor work.

Harware stores are the least expensive place to find them locally, but you usually have to buy a spool. It would be more cost effective to buy from ebay or a chink website like ali.

You want stranded wire as solid core wire is meant for stationary installations and is sensitive to bending and vibration.

Yes you should solder. Watch a tutorial on soldering and desoldering. Desolder the old wire directly from the drivers and then solder on the new stuff. Each driver has its own "positive" but they share a "ground." The grounds go to the same pin on a 3.5mm jack, but each driver has its own input wire. If you get the wires mixed up on one driver, it will be "out of phase" with the other, basically pushing when the other pulls. If they sound funky just switch the wires on one driver around.

You can salvage the old 3.5mm jack with enough patience or buy a cheap one online. The latter will simplify things if it has a 2-piece enclosure and clearly marked pins.
>>
>>1128966
It's possible that the wires have a thin lacquer on them. A fine sandpaper could remove it, also twisting wires is shit, solder them.

I've fixed so many headphones, mice, and other things with the same issues that you've had.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.