[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was looking at making a DIY battery bank, but I've got a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 18650.jpg (102KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
18650.jpg
102KB, 640x640px
Was looking at making a DIY battery bank, but I've got a few questions.

I'm going to use probably around twelve 18650 batteries with a board to handle charging and that sort of stuff.

My questions are:
>how much should I be paying for legit 18650s?
>should I be using 18650s? is there a better battery that I can use? size doesn't matter, the housing is pretty big
>>
>>1128882
If you haven't yet, look up tp4056.
Cheap as fuck and they output 0.8A each(despite claiming 1A) and you can hook them up in parallel for greater current.

10 of them are usually ~3 dollars
>>
>>1128885
Hmm pretty good, so I could hook up one charger per 5 batteries and get 2A output easy?

And then to charge I can just use a single 2A usb input then connect it to both tp4056s?

Sounds awesome
>>
I've been told that, unless you're an electrician or have a comparable level of experience, you're probably going to go through your battery bank in 8-10 years. This is regardless of quality.
That said, if space/weight isn't an issue, I'd recommend NiFe batteries. Very durable, very long life, very forgiving of overcharging and over discharging
>>
>>1128888
It'll be more like 1.6-1.7A to be honest.
But they work well for what it is.

http://s.aliexpress.com/7RbQvEjY

Only 2 issues I've had with them.
>not actually 1A, but 800-850mA charging current
>no short circuit or reverse polarity protection

Other than that it's just brilliant for the price
>>
Looking at roughly £2.30 per 2600mah 18650, they are good for 5 Amp drain.

I buy from Shenzhen ChenJun Electronic Technology CO LTD (aliexpress)
>>
>>1128908
lol

(what OP wants to do >here<)....................................................................................................................................................................(what you think OP wants to do >here<)
>>
>>1128935
>op says he wants battery bank
>mentions nothing about its use
>you know exactly what he wants and what needs he's trying to fill
???
>>
>>1128998
op wants a dozen 18650 li ion cells in a small enclosure to run various things good for maybe a year or two of use

vs

a giant expensive nickel-iron pack that will last decades
>>
>>1128882
>should I be using 18650s? is there a better battery that I can use? size doesn't matter, the housing is pretty big
18650 are popular and mass produced, and thus cheap. So it's a good choice if you want Li-Ion.

>how much should I be paying for legit 18650s?
What you consider legit?
If you want batteries that are cheap and fine, look for used ones from broken laptop batteries.
(Yes, laptop batteries use cells of 18650 size.)
If you want high capacity (something that is really above 2500mAh), that's going to be expensive, sorry.
Don't buy chink shit, it's usually a very bad idea. Even if it sounds legit and is not too cheap.
>>
File: MVC-002L.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MVC-002L.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
I have a friggin boat load of 18650s I pulled from 'dead' laptop battery packs discarded at work. I find that, what fails in these packs is a control circuit and not so much the cells themselves. I would love to build a hugh pack to replace the lead acid batteries in my wheelchair, but the PCMs alone are too expensive, let alone the charge/control electronics for the chair. Some of you might be interested to know that there are really cheap solar charge controllers designed for charging Li-Ion packs. I picked one up for $12 bucks a few years ago. It even has night sensing and load control.

Anyone have any links where I can get more info on PCMs from a DIY perspective? How about spreadsheets geared toward working with charging these batteries? Any info would really be appreciated.
>>
>>1129163
Could you not just run then in series until the voltage is close enough?
>>
>>1129234
Li-ions have to be very tightly controlled. they cannot be overcharged, or allowed to fall below a specific voltage or they will fail. lead acid batteries are more forgiving, and some can be deep-discharged. not so with li-ion.
>>
>>1129260
At what voltage does your chair operate?
>>
>>1129261
It uses two 12v 35Ah SLAs wired in series, so 24v.
>>
>>1129397
8s 50A lithium iron phosphate battery protection board 25.6V 18650 battery protection board with temperature switch
http://s.aliexpress.com/iE7jENBz
(from AliExpress Android)

Wire them up in series
>>
File: 2017-02-11_102331.jpg (53KB, 559x484px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-11_102331.jpg
53KB, 559x484px
>>1129400
That's a nice BMS, anon. These charge controllers have really come down in price. Have you ever built a pack with a controller like this?
>>
>>1129408
Not at that voltage, no.

Most I've done is 7.4V.

I'd recommend looking up YouTube, I'm sure there's people who have bought these and tested them on there. That's where I usually go to check out cheap Chinese circuits
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.