[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck this snow. So I'm thinking of either a flamethrower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Fuck this snow.

So I'm thinking of either a flamethrower or something like muffler attached to the end of weedwhacker and using that to melt snow.

Has this been done before? Is it effective?
>>
>>1128715
>Is it effective?
No
>>
>>1128715
water has a ridiculously high heat capacity and enthalpy of fusion. it will soak up whatever flame you throw at it, and you will just waste fuel.
>>
No. It takes a shit ton of energy to convert ice to liquid, not to mention the issues that I assume would follow, such as the water then later freezing over.
For perspective it takes 333.5 kJ to melt 1kg of Ice. An equivalent amount of energy would raise 1kg of water nearly 80C.

You are better off making a better plow or something.
>>
>>1128715
No, also it's more economical to hire a bunch of little shits $30 or $40 to just shovel your snow once it piles on
>>
>>1128739
>>1128740
>>1128745
What about Sodium pellets? Like just Na, not NaCl. It reacts with water with heat, just throw some on the driveway or whatever
>>
>>1128715
just attach a vacuum hose to your cars exhaust
all of the snow will melt instantly and it costs free
>>
>>1128715
I melted a big smiley face into my lawn.
It was awesome but it killed the grass
Now I have a smiley face burnt into my lawn.
>>
>>1128759
>car
>exhaust
>hose
>free

Okay.
>>
>>1128757
it's much more economical to hire little shits to shovel snow for you. It takes a lot of energy to melt snow.
>>
build a huge bonfire

you can use it to dispose of corpses too
>>
No. Ice and water has an extremely high heat capacity.
>>
>>1128757

Other than the fact that the required amount of elemental sodium would be hilariously expensive, there's also the issue that

No, fuck this. I am not typing out a comprehensive, well-reasoned response to an idea that stupid.
>>
http://www.therooster.com/blog/fargo-man-arrested-clearing-snow-flamethrower-being-generally-awesome
>>
File: tumblr_lhpcmjjfEN1qguhj1o1_400.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lhpcmjjfEN1qguhj1o1_400.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
top gear snowbine harvester :)
>>
>>1128757
I don't think that something like Sodium pellets even exist. Na is very reactiv. It is stored in oil or something, because on air i immediately builds a non reactiv oxid-layer. When you cut it in little pieces, there will mostly be non reactiv natrium oxid
>>
File: image_11750.jpg (67KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_11750.jpg
67KB, 1200x1200px
>>1128715
My dad used a weed torch to try and dry brick we were about to lay. Took forever.

I think you'd have the same issue with ice - then you'd have to ensure all the water you made dissipated.
>>
>>1128715
Rock salt is the most effective ice eliminator.

The cheapest is shoveling the snow before you drive all over it for three days
>>
File: 50500716.jpg (52KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
50500716.jpg
52KB, 450x450px
>>1128715
Step 1: Shovel or sweep the snow off the path as best you can, don't worry about the ice.
Step 2: Sprinkle snow melt pellets over the walkway you want to remain clear. Brand name doesn't really matter. Make sure it is "calcium chloride."
Step 3: Wait for the ice to melt. That may take a few hours. Sprinkle some more pellets once the ice has melted.
Step 4: Enjoy clear paths for a couple days. Even if it snows, the snow will melt when it hits the calcium chloride covered path.
>>
I have used a weed torch to de ice my walk way. Takes a while on ice wouldnt even try it on snow. Just shovel it. Like other anons said just hire neighborhood kids its what i do. Kek sodium
>>
File: 1407292092548.gif (35KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1407292092548.gif
35KB, 499x499px
You should pour boiling water over it. It will melt the ice and wash it off your driveway.
>>
>>1128941
dont do this it will cause crystals to form that are FATAL and LETHAL if injested
>>
>>1128911
Sugar melts it better than salt but costs more and leaves sticky.
>>
>>1128960
no it doesn't
>>
>>1128715
Backpack bug sprayer.
Gas.
Roman candles, dragon's breath rounds, flare, drone with a stick on fire... etc.
>>
>>1128715
>no one suggestion installing a heated driveway
its like, y'all revel in your poor faggotness.
>>
>>1129037
>he doesn't have an ionospheric heater in his yard melting the snow before it hits the ground
absolutely plebeian
>>
>>1128960
this.
it creates mustard crystals
>>
>>1128757
>What about Sodium pellets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFBXJ3Zd_4
Nigga wat?
>>
>>1129065
Maybe not a big chunk but perhaps like a powder or something
>>
File: 747 ground deicing.png (640KB, 734x426px) Image search: [Google]
747 ground deicing.png
640KB, 734x426px
>>1128911
>Rock salt is the most effective ice eliminator.
You mean glycol?
>>
>>1128852
Underrated post
>>
>>1128887
>to try and dry brick we were about to lay
Off Topic ; but <dry> the brick?
Grout works better if the bricks are moist - the dry brick sucks moisture out of the grout stalling it's Cure.
When I laid a few courses of bricks on a hot-day I pre-soaked them in water for two hours. [this was for a high-loading and waterproof-problem location]
When you buy structural grout in bags it says on it to pre-soak existing concrete for two hours before applying grout . . .
>>
File: 1482090369108.jpg (1MB, 3251x2072px) Image search: [Google]
1482090369108.jpg
1MB, 3251x2072px
>>1129097
>Grout
We're amateurs using landscaping glue/caulk to put together a garden bed.

I thought it was overkill, but the wife got a good laugh.
>>
>>1128912
Pretty much this. I come from a frigid land normally and was taught this shit as a lad. How the fuck do people survive in other places? It's like no one realizes the best way to avoid snow build up is to prepare by dropping ice melt beforehand too.

>>1128715
Also OP should just buy a snowblower or hire some shitkids if it's really that much of an issue.
>>
>>1129042
sounds delicious, actually
>>
>>1128823
>hire little shits to shovel snow
>pay them with sodium
>hook exhaust pipe up to car interior, kill kids with carbon monoxide
>burn their corpses, generating even more heat

It's literally a free solution
>>
>>1128757
What the fuck. Have you ever put sodium in contact with water? Of course you haven't.
>>
>>1129839
what is wrong with you this a family friendly website
>>
File: snowplows_3.jpg (42KB, 468x635px) Image search: [Google]
snowplows_3.jpg
42KB, 468x635px
>>1128715
russians had a good solution for that.

they literally mounted jet engines on their glorious trucks
>>
>>1128715
Texas here, what's snow???
>>
>>1128757

>metallic sodium to melt snow

Well, there would be no front entrance left, so technically it would solve your problem.

Don't forget to record everything and tell someone to upload for you, as you will hardly be alive.
>>
File: SKSLfn3.jpg (103KB, 640x529px) Image search: [Google]
SKSLfn3.jpg
103KB, 640x529px
>>
File: acb.jpg (39KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
acb.jpg
39KB, 640x640px
>>1129839

Ancap snow removal
>>
>>1128757
Can confirm, this works. Looks really cool too. Make sure you get a close look when it first hits the snow, the reaction is super pretty.
>>
How come it takes 1.21 gigawatts to melt snow with resistance heaters, yet a cup of gasoline can melt a yard?
>>
>>1128757
>Sodium pellets
This is a good idea.
>>
>>1128911
>shovel before driving
Fucking this. You pack the snow down, then it usually turns into ice, and you've got to break out the scraper to get it off.

Too many retards around where I live who don't shovel for days, then complain about how hard it is to shovel when they finally do it.

Or the dumbass next door who uses his snowblower for the littlest bit of s now, but doesn't go over it with a shovel to clean the packed down shit the blower left behind, and has to salt the shit out of his driveway because it turns to glare ice the next day.
>>
>>1129890
Puh-leese, it's sodium, not Francium. It's like the skinny white kid of the alkali metals.
>>
>>1128757
>Sodium
>>1131332
THIS

Consider Potassium : cheaper than sodium yet more effective and available at every hippie shop
>>
>>1131230

1.) It can't.
2.) Hydrocarbons in general are stupidly energy dense.

There's a full 120MJ of energy in a gallon of gasoline. 33.4kWh. The equivalent of maxxing out a 240V, 30A outlet for over four-and-a-half hours.

But water has a high latent heat of fusion, in addition to a high specific heat capacity. This means it takes an extreme amount of energy not only to get ice up to melting point, but also to actually get it to melt.

It takes a full 334kJ just to take a 1kg, 0° mass of ice to a 0° mass of water. That means, JUST to actually melt the ice, at 100% efficiency, a full gallon of gas can only melt 100kg of ice. It's another ~4.2kJ for every degree you need to take that water up to melting point.

Just as a point of reference: That same gallon of gasoline, at 100% efficiency, could, alternately, lift that same 100kg of water 122km straight up.

Given that, it's pretty easy to see why it's almost always preferable to move the snow rather than try and melt it. It requires several orders of magnitude less energy.
>>
>>1129876
Russians are fucking retarded.
>>
File: flame-thrower-e1440004593546.jpg (50KB, 575x395px) Image search: [Google]
flame-thrower-e1440004593546.jpg
50KB, 575x395px
>>1128715

Those flame throwers are made in my hometown

The mayor wants to ban them;

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/08/19/would-it-be-fun-to-own-a-flamethrower-warren-mayor-calls-for-ban/
>>
>>1129042
so just removing a step from putting mustard on my hot dogs and pretzels? got it!
>>
>>1131230
>resistance
There's your answer
Let me run down the process for you

>Let's take this giant wall of solid matter, that became solid in the first place because all its energy was sucked out of it so its atoms gave up on life and decided to hibernate, and get it going by reinvigorating it with more energy by heat, which is made by running ALOT of electrons through some whore of a conductor to the point where it creates friction for hipsters, which is literally the WASTE of the energy running through it, all while the rest of the cold ice and weather is dissipating whatever heat even makes it past the air particles

I think you can understand how much easier it is to take your chemical energy, made from hot dogs and beer, and use it as mechanical energy to lift that shit out if there. The only energy wasted in this process is if you do a dab while doing it.
>>
>>1128715

Do you know why they stopped using flamethrowers in wars?

Hint: it's because you're putting fire close to a fucking really explosive fuel supply!
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.