[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/ Have any of you made a power rack for a homegym?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: 537PRH8BP-Pro-Power-Rack.jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
537PRH8BP-Pro-Power-Rack.jpg
58KB, 900x900px
Hello /diy/

Have any of you made a power rack for a homegym?

I'm worried that the materials will be costly.
>>
>>1128492
PVC pipe reinforced with concrete, not that expensive.
>>
if you make it yourself it will cost you from 80€ to 120€ if you or some one you know has a ''welder,standing drill,lathe and some coloring spray''
The real problem is to get weights they cost alot : /
>>
>>1128549
He could make it out of wood. With solid joinery and decent wood, it would be just fine.
>>
>>1128499
wut?
>>
There are tons of videos on power racks made from wood and plumbing pipe on youtube.

I guess their pretty good gor lifting, but i haven't seen a convincing cable attachment yet.
>>
>>1128499
>power rack for homegym
>PVC pipe
what the fuck is this idiot....
>reinforced with concrete, not that expensive.
damn......about the most /diy/ thing I've read in a while. gj
Only problem I forsee is if you don't use solid crossbars to link the 4 pillars together.

>>1128555
>6 months later termites had moved in and OP got gainz benching 235
>put the bar up
>head comes off
do not recommend, even with treated
>>
>>1128492
They will be.

Get scrap pipe.

Any oilfield company will sell u pipe cheap cause it has a hole in it.

Ask for "tubing"

Or pump tubes.

Every fence, cattle guard, gate, shed, headache rack, and truck bumper in my county is used oilfield pipe.
>>
>>1128499
GENIOUS
>>
Search for the rippetoe rack, plans are online somewhere.
Around 400$ at your local welder, best rack you will ever use
>>
>>1128577
You're saying you can't build something that will support 235? They make piers out of wood supports that hold up pavement, loaded forklifts, etc, and he cannot build a power rack out of wood that can support 500lbs? You can build a deck that can hold dozens of people. I'm sure if you plan it properly, you can build a power rack that won't cut your head off.
>>
>>1128597
I second this if you don't want to buy the $299 "powerline" rack off amazon. The cable attachment for it (amazon) is decent as well.
>>
>>1128599
>You can build a deck that can hold dozens of people.

No. That would be a professionals job.
>>
>>1128499
Would this work? That seems fucking genius.
What should one use for the protrusions to put plates on/the hooks to hold the bar?
>>
>>1128618
>That would be a professionals job.

Get out.

>>1128492

Two 8 foot 4x4s
Six 8 foot 2x4s
Six 10 foot 2x10

You will need a torch and two pieces of 7"x1/2"x8' steel to make teeth for the weights set up on, and possibly additional lumber to sure up any wobble but this will make what you need. Now go to your hardware store and price it out, don't forget fasteners (16 penny nails won't cut it for this project) then go to a machine shop and see what the metal comb to hold your weights will cost. I could be wrong, but I suspect it will tally up to far more than just buying a used one of Craigslist.
>>
OP here,

I talked with a hardware store owner and he can sell me old perforated angles they used for racks, if not that, the wood beam seem like a great idea.

Thanks!
>>
>>1128499
>PVC pipe reinforced with concrete, not that expensive.

This is a dumbshit idea. Concrete is weak as fuck in ANY sort of loading except compression. This means your columns would have to be fat as shit in order to safely withstand the various side loads it will experience. And you'd still need something else to make the hooks and handholds out of, since concrete would be wholly unsuited for the task. You could reinforce the concrete, but it would be a massive pain in the ass.

>>1128618

By that dumbshit logic, so is even implying he should do anything other than just buy one. And, if you're actually the same guy encouraging the PVC+concrete idea at the same time...ell em eff ay oh.

>>1128642
>I talked with a hardware store owner and he can sell me old perforated angles they used for racks

How thick is this stuff? If it's what I'm thinking of, it's in the neighborhood of 1/4" wall. That's definitely overkill, but, if the price it right...go for it.

And, on that note, do check prices at an actual metal yard. Steel really is quite cheap. The retardedly overpriced segments you find in the big box stores has among the biggest markup of anything in the store. If I remember right, Home Depot wants like $22 for a fucking 6-foot section of 1/16-wall, 1" square tube. 12-gauge (which is thicker) at my local metal yard just under $17 for a 20-foot length of the same tube. And that isn't even that great a price.

The sheet metal is priced just as obscenely.
>>
>>1128704

Just FYI, I'm not saying you should use 12-gauge tube. Given the consequences of fucking this up, I'd hesitate to use thinner than 1/8".

(Also, now that I'm thinking about it, those prices might be for 14-gauge tube. Point still stands, though.
>>
>>1128492
if you have welding equipment and a drill press then yes this would be so much cheaper than buying one. metal or tube like this is pretty cheap just call up a metal distibuter and you can just cut the holes to your liking and order the attachments from a company. if you cant weld then it wont be as cheap
>>
>>1128492

There is a youtube channel called buff dudes, they made a rack with various attachments out of 4x4 posts its pretty slick and easy to build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5eyMDt3c
>>
>>1128499
Maybe this would support the weight, but it would flex and sway too much, which is not ideal for a lifting rack.
>>
Mfw.gif
>>
>>1128630

You can make the rack out of toothpicks and woodglue if you want to, the question isn't is a material capable, but how much of that material you will have to use to make it capable, in the case of toothpick and woodglue or concrete+pvc I would suspect that number is much higher than building it out of a proper material.
>>
>>1128499
Don't do this
>>
>>1128704
What side load?
You drill 3/4" holes through the columns, at different heights like on a power rack, fit 3/4" steel rods in the holes (all the way through the column) then fill the columns with concrete... side load becomes compression
>>
>>1129021
Can confirm, build one like this based on the video and it is awesome. Was about 150-200 bucks.
>>
>>1128577
>termites
Nigger, termites? Termites? If you have termites in your (presumably indoor) workout equipment, you're fucked because those assholes migrated from somewhere.

>>1128492
Op, go to /fit/. This thread's been done over there a number of times and people always have plans. Also, expect a lot of kluge, but there's a guy who showed his setup. Really well made using a combination of 2x4's, 4x4's and 1" steel pipes for safety catches. He unracked it with 800 pounds on his bar and deliberately dropped it onto the catches, entire cage didn't budge. It can be done.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (314KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
314KB, 1600x1200px
>Local man decapitates himself in a home-made guilotine
>Neighbours claim to have heard him shouting "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY" moments before the accident
>>
Quit helping this turd. The last thing we need is to make the idiots stronger.
>>
File: 1380607627745.jpg (94KB, 450x495px) Image search: [Google]
1380607627745.jpg
94KB, 450x495px
>>1129568
>>
File: 1477444279518.jpg (122KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1477444279518.jpg
122KB, 500x667px
>>1128492
http://imgur.com/gallery/yVVvu
>>
File: power rack.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
power rack.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Local rack for over $1200 so I made this instead
>>
>>1130603
How badly does that thing wobble
>>
>>1130640
mostly side to side, not front to back
wobble is maybe like an inch
I've squatted 2.5 pl8s on it
notice the notches at the top and the lag screws
(the front top 2x4 was an afterthought and thus only has deck screws)
my advice: just go for it, you wont outgrow it for a while and it's cheap
>>
>>1128704
>You could reinforce the concrete, but it would be a massive pain in the ass.

>Shoving a rebar in the concrete inside pipe before it hardens is a pain

Then you just bolt in stops in 4+ directions followed by having your supports on metal pipe fittings that slide over the reinforced PVC.

Main killer of concrete is moisture + freezing, which makes it expand and crack over time, weakening it.
>>
>>1130640
This. Put some fucking crossbraces on that thing famalam.
>>
LIGHTWEIGHT BABY!
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.