[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a couple pliers that have no comfort handles for which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: KI-48-246.jpg (53KB, 1095x498px) Image search: [Google]
KI-48-246.jpg
53KB, 1095x498px
So I have a couple pliers that have no comfort handles for which I would like to make some, my question is what's the best way to do it?

I'm thinking about melting some type of plastic and just dipping them, would that work? Also what type of material should I use?

>tl;dr turn left pic into right pic.
>>
Tooldip is what you want, search for "Plasti-Dip"
>>
Plastidip or heat shrink tubing
>>
File: 1466563361544.jpg (150KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1466563361544.jpg
150KB, 1024x768px
>>1126583
>>1126567
Yap that will do it, thanks a lot. Have a qt.

>Tfw there's always a solution out of the shelf for everything nowadays
>>
Plasti-dip

you might need to do it a few times to get the thickness you want
>>
Or use electrical tape if you want to be really ghetto.
>>
This is what plastidip was made for.
>>
>>1126565
flex seal liquid shows this exactly in the commercal
>>
>>1126567
>>1126583
>>1127026
>>1127034
I'm pretty sure Plasti-Dip is meant for painting cars.
>>
File: PD_FamilyShot_433x285.jpg (29KB, 433x285px) Image search: [Google]
PD_FamilyShot_433x285.jpg
29KB, 433x285px
>>1127881
......you do realize their packaging literally has images of op's request on it?
>>
Could try hockey tape. I have a hammer I use for heavy hitting, that I welded a steel pipe on for handle after the wood handle broke. I used hockey tape for the grip. Still working.
>>
>>1127881
Nah, car folks just realized it works really well for that and they've expanded out into that market quite a bit, but originally(Or at least, for many years prior to the car stuff), it was for tool handles.
>>
>>1127909
Well, you gotta do something with all the leftovers after you're done with the car.
>>
I tried plasti dip, it peeled off far too soon.
>>
>>1127911
I use a cloth electrical tape (seemingly the same as hockey tape) on some of my tools and I approve. I've never seen anyone else do this, though.
>>
>>1128014
That's no bueno, tell me more anon.
>>
>>1128014
Try putting an epoxy coat on beforehand so it has something to bind to and doing the dip while it's still tacky.
>>
Bondo as tool grip (among other things):

http://makezine.com/projects/make-40/fond-o-bondo/
>>
Cut rubber hose and slide over handle
>>
>>1126565
Look up cordage wraps. Find something somewhat soft, like old twine or paracord. Do that.

I've done it on a couple things, it's comfy and looks classy, though it can be hard to tie off in a pretty way at the end if you don't have a handy eyelet in the handle. It's easy to do it at all, though, it just won't look nice.

>>1128203
>electrical tape
>hockey tape
They're not the same. Electrical tape will seep glue over time, sports item tape is made not to do that. Electrical tape wrapped items get gummy and gross.

>>1128401
Depending on the size of the grip, this could also work. I've had success using a section of bike innertube stretched over a tube as a comfy grip for things to strike with, as well as an old bike's handlebars. It looks jank and collects dirt easily but it's soft and durable. The only problem is that it can slip if you don't glue or otherwise secure it down somehow. If you could get it on, it can come off.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.