[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup, /diy/. So I moved and was unable to bring my sewing machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Sup, /diy/. So I moved and was unable to bring my sewing machines with me.

Can anyone rec some good models to look for used? I'm mainly planning on using it for working with denim, canvas, (light) leather, cordura, etc. So ideally something a bit heavier duty. However, I'll also be doing some clothing work and also sewing Tyvek, which both require lighter duty stuff.

Budget is ~$100 for a solid used machine.
>>
File: P1020174.jpg (480KB, 1596x1020px) Image search: [Google]
P1020174.jpg
480KB, 1596x1020px
Also:

I'd prefer to go with something more 80s-90s than the older style machines.

Absolutely nothing wrong with sewing machines from the 50s-60s, you can find some absolute beasts from that era still in great working order.

Problem is that these days that means wading through 100s of CL posts with SUPER HIP VINTAGE SEWING MACHINES that are either solely cosmetically restored or actually piece of shit reproductions. Pretty hard to find fairly priced workhorses when a guy can just slap some paint and polish on a broken one and sell it to some nu-yuppies who will display it in their living room while their twee-as-fuck friends all talk about how "cute" it is.

So I'm going to stick with newer used models, that dont have the cursed "vintage" aura about them. Big ugly boxy machines suit me fine if they can handle 5 layers of denim.

Pic related, the 50s machine I bought for $20 and restored, thing is an absolute beast, sews everything you put in front of it. Wish I could've brought it with me.
>>
>>1126554
Are you in the USA?
>>
>>1126594
Yes, I am
>>
>>1126623
Post your local CL and we will take a look.
>>
>>1126633
will do in the morning
>>
>>1126554
>Absolutely nothing wrong with sewing machines from the 50s-60s, you can find some absolute beasts from that era still in great working order.
That's when sewing machines started turning to utter crap. There are gems from that era, also an increasing number of craptastic lemons.

That said, don't buy anything made after 1960 that isn't a $20k industrial. It will make you cry.

The very best machines:
Necchi BU Nova
Singer 15-91
Elna Grasshopper
Singer 201
Singer 221
Singer 222

there are other good machines, but they have gotchas. The machines above can't go wrong, and are plentiful.
>>
Just thought I'd hijack the thread a tiny bit. I can machine and hand stitch, but I'm planning on sewing some straps, including heavy duty truck straps for [spoiler]bondage[/spoiler]. I'll be doing a fair bit, but is it worth my while finding a secondhand heavy duty machine or just not be a bitch and get a big ass thimble?
>>
>>1126633
http://denver.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=sewing+machine&sort=rel&hasPic=1&min_price=40&max_price=120

Here it is. Really a pain to sort through all the generic "NEW SEWING MACHINE NEVER OPENED" posts and the $120 """vintage""" singers that arent even in working condition.
>>
>>1126849
thanks dog. v helpful.

I mean the absolute best sewing machine I've ever used was an early 50s industrial one for making jeans or something. Thing ran like a fucking rolls royce. If I could find something like that I'd be in heaven, but I know it means looking through a million ANTIQUE VINTAGE sewing machines that in terms of functionality are worth 1/10 what the seller is asking.

Is there anywhere that sells machines online solely with utility in mind?
>>
>>1126862
I did similar work, where I needed to sew like 6-8 leather straps onto heavy duty canvas. Did it by hand with a homemade leather thumb guard and a big ass needle. It was a major fucking pain, took me hours and hours to get the straps really securely stitched on there. looking back it wouldve been 100% worth it to have bought a machine, even if it had set me back $150-200. Its not like I'd only be using it that one time.

My recommendation is try and get temporary use of a heavy duty sewing machine. You're not going to need it all that long. Look into """""makerspaces""""" (ugh) or maybe see if you could pay a tailor/cobbler or local luggage-maker to show you how on their machine.
>>
>>1126554
My mom has a fairly old analog sewing machine that belonged to my grandfather
She seems to think the only think that needs replacing is the belt. How good would this machine be to learn on ? I think it's like 100 years old but was mass produced to a degree that it's worthless my mum says.
>>
>>1127012
You provided zero info on the machine itself. No make, no model. We can't tell you anything if you don't tell us anything.

>>1127001
I don't know much about newer machines as I never bothered with them. There are some older machines in your area but nothing great in your price range. Sometimes that is just how it is. Where I live I see several nice machines go up every month for around $50-$75.
>>
>>1127036
yeah I didnt see anything that caught my eye. I'll prob keep a lookout, but focus more on places other than CL. Theres got to be a repair shop somewhere in the city, or a small electronics refurbishing place, feel like I could maybe find a better deal there.

Any suggestions of makes/models I should be looking for?
>>
>>1127004

Fortunately I'm not working with leather, without an awl that'd be horrible! Sadly no hackerspaces within a couple of hundred miles. But I'll keep my eyes peeled for a decent machine, thanks anon
>>
>>1127047
Check thrift stores too. My Goodwill always has at least 3 machines sitting around for $20. I've seen some nice machines down there more than once.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.