[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best fan config for cooling a thick radiator?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: ex-rad-409.jpg (16KB, 326x245px) Image search: [Google]
ex-rad-409.jpg
16KB, 326x245px
What's the best fan config for cooling a thick radiator? Pic related is 120mm.
I need to get as much cooling done with a single radiator as possible, so what should I be looking for in terms of fans? High pressure thin ones, or high flow in the back helped by high pressure pulling, or what? A lot of water cooling forums seem to be full of what is effectively broscience.
>>
>>1126117

You want a high static pressure fan. Thick radiators cause an increased pressure drop across them, since the air must travel further in a confined space, with all the extra fluidic losses that incurs. Fans optimized for relatively high pressures are exactly what is called for here.

Mixing high-pressure and high-flow fans will show only minimal effectiveness. Simply put, by increasing the flow across the high-pressure fan, you disproportionately decrease its effectiveness. Trying to do so with a high-flow fan would bump up total airflow only slightly for that reason.

You'd be better off doing a push-pull with two high-pressure fans, in almost all cases. Even thin radiators do comparatively poorly with high-flow fans, because high-flow fans are made to be used with almost no pressure differential across them; that is to say, they're for moving air in and out of a relatively open space, not across any significant restriction such as a radiator or heavy filter.

All that being said, "high static pressure" and "high airflow" are entirely relative terms. Performance in terms of efficiency can only be expressed in terms of CFM/watt, because the obvious route to go in for just straight-up flow rate is an obscenely overpowered fan (looking at you, Delta).

Tl;dr: None of this fucking matters unless you're willing to actually do airspeed measurements, temperature and flow rate measurements of the coolant, consider power consumption and noise levels, and do some basic math to determine efficacy of the system as a whole. Watercooling a PC is a game of diminishing returns in the first place. Just get two fans with relatively high pressure ratings and be at peace with the world.
>>
>>1126117
I use a sunon 12W fan. maximum rated power most motherboards and fan controllers can support is 1A. there are meme fans with golfball textures and 9001 blades but there's only so much air a 100ma fan can push.

I use a corsair AIO with a 120mm radiator but the biggest limiting factor is the pump which is bullshit and slow even still, my 6700k only goes up to 78C at full load as a function of the pump power being the weakest link in the loop.
>>
>>1126151
Thanks anon!
My only issue is that the reason I was using water cooling in the first place in this build was the extremely confined space of the case (the thing is damn tiny) so I wanted to squeeze out as much cooling as I could in a very tiny area.
>>
>>1126117
The biggest most power one you can stand the noise from.
>>
>>1126117
If you want actual science instead then what you need to do is the following:
Find the required temperature differential and flow of the fluid in the radiator you need to reach. Use the thermal transfer of air with the avg ambient temperature over the radiator to find the amount of air you need to pass over the fins. Use the air resistance of the radiator with the fan curve to find a fan that will deliver the volume you worked out previously. The slower the air moves the quieter it will be.
>>
>>1126158

I'd get an Ultra-Kaze, 4500 RPM is old style Delta loud.
>>
Bilge blower

You'll probably need earplugs and you'll be switching them out every month but these things generate tremendous pressure, the best pressure.
>>
File: DANISHA.png (38KB, 252x404px) Image search: [Google]
DANISHA.png
38KB, 252x404px
Actually, I have to ask now
Are there any fans that are significantly higher performers than typical case fans, even if they require something stupid like a double MOLEX cable to power them?
All cooling happens through this one single (girthy) radiator and I think that if I could move enough air through it it'd be more than enough to keep my whole system nice and cool
>>
>>1126316

Sunon has 36W fans ... so put those on in push/pull configuration.

Have fun with noise complaints.
>>
>>1126316
>Are there any fans that are significantly higher performers than typical case fans, even if they require something stupid like a double MOLEX cable to power them?

Delta fans have a reputation for being pretty ridiculous compared to the average case fan. They make "normal" fans, too, but they're a go-to for "I need an overpowered fan".
>>
>>1126117
Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 RPM
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (64KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
64KB, 1000x750px
>>1126322

>Noctua NF-F12

0,6 W, that won't even lift.

You call that a fan? This is a fan.
>>
>>1126320
I'll just slap a pot on it and not turn it up unless I'm gayming or baking light or something
thanks anon
>>
>>1126329

I don't think you understand what 36W means. You'd need quite a large "pot" to handle that. Something like this :

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Potentiometer-Variable-Resistor-Rheostat/dp/B00K82TJMA

Don't let exposed metal wire on the back touch anything either, they're going to get toasty. Or don't be retarded and use something like this instead :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MD28K0L?psc=1
>>
>>1126192
>Ultra-Kaze
sunon PMD1212PTB1-A (2).GN has 0.62" of static pressure. compare that to "high static pressure fans" produced by most manufacturers that deliver a 10th of that. the kaze has about half the static pressure of the sunon. just stop buying meme fans.
>>
>>1126338
this really. you dont want to use anything over 1A because then your motherboard cant adjust the fan speed. there arnt any fan controllers that support such large loads.
>>
>>1126405

There are 12V motorcontrollers though, for around 10$ and they'll work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Control-Controller-Variable-Regulator/dp/B00DVGGWC0
>>
>recommending the push/pull meme

Enjoy paying 2x the cost for maybe 10% better cooling, sometimes worse depending on what fans you pair up
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.