[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you help me identify this material? It's some sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMAG1341.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1341.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Can you help me identify this material?
It's some sort of stone, very heavy but very soft.
I'm thinking of using it as a tabletop.
>>
File: IMAG1345.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1345.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
A file will bite right into it. It seems soft enough that I could cut it with a tablesaw, but I'm not sure if this stuff will ruin the blade somehow.
>>
Possible soapstone, op. Would definitely use a wetsaw and diamond blade.
>>
Probably wrong but kinda looks like one of those phenolic resin chemistry table tops.
>>
>>1125793
Soapstone polishes up well. The core of that thing doesn;t look like it would polish at all.
>>
looks like an old concrete countertop
>>
>>1125783
It is likely a soapstone table top, they where/are (depending on who you talk to) popular with labs as they are fairly chemically and thermally stable. And most damage can be buffed or carefully sanded out. See them all the time in old labratories all over the place.

It may be soft but you still want to use the right tools, you are cutting stone so do it right.
>>
>>1126553
I found this by the dumpster of a science lab building, so you're probably right. Thanks.
>>
>>1126599
I would wash it very very well, you don't know what chemicals they work on it with.

Despite my paranoia I don't know enough to tell you to stop, and Google shows other people doing this so it should be safe enough.

Fireslate is the man made alternative people are using now a days, can't tell the difference that easily, so you can likely use the same tools and techniques on both. Might google more info on how to tell and work on it.
>>
>>1126609
This isn't for a kitchen table, it's for the shop. So I'm not too worried about it, a wash with soap will probably be enough.
>>
>>1126632
oh, for shop yea that should be fine

These are great for that kind of stuff if you treat them right. Do a little homework and enjoy your great find.

I want one like this for my shop if I get around to having one.
>>
>>1126634
It doesn't look like it would stand up to hammering too well. I wanted to mount a huge vise on it, but after testing it with a file and seeing how soft it is, I don't think I'm going to do that.
It's a semi-public shop, so chances are it'll get ruined eventually. How hard is it to ruin soapstone?
>>
>>1126638
I'd use it for a print/layout table rather than a heavy work table. What do you expect to be doing in the shop?
>>
>>1126644
It's a student project shop, so all kinds of stuff being done by people with minimal skills and little respect for the shop or its equipment.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.