[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come there aren't any like cheap backpack type portable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Portable Power.png (179KB, 599x483px) Image search: [Google]
Portable Power.png
179KB, 599x483px
How come there aren't any like cheap backpack type portable power supplies for making corded tools semi-cordless?

Like if I wanted to make my $20 weed whacker cordless is there anything at like $50 that can do the job?
>>
>>1125604
Batteries are fucking heavy, anon.
>>
>>1125604
Corded tools run on 110v AC in North America. 220v in Europe. Batteries run on DC. The easiest way would be to make a DC-to-AC converter and make sure your batteries output the same voltage as your device. Getting up to 110v AC is no joke as most single cell batteries are it in the 1-1.5 volt range. Once your volts start to dip as the batteries drain you will rapidly lose power, though. Tools made for constant AC are not as tolerant to voltage drop as tools designs for batteries. Basically, its a whole lot better idea to get some used cordless tools cheap and build yourself some nice batteries for them, as stock batteries tend to suck and be overpriced.
>>
>>1125604
Get a lawn mower battery or car battery, you can find these for super cheap or even free, and a $40 power inverter from harbor freight.
>>
>>1125627
You know you can run 99% of AC motors on DC right?
New dewalt mitersaw does this, you can run it off 2 60v batteries or off 115 AC
>>
>>1125632
Wait? It runs on batteries or off batteries?
Off batteries means on mains and off mains means on batteries so its the same just a weird way of saying it I guess!
>>
>>1125628
Oh right, I guess the inverter is what makes it expensive
>>
>>1125604
Heavy and expensive.
>>
>>1125632
Fuck.

Now i gotta buy a saw
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (128KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>>1125632
>You know you can run 99% of AC motors on DC right?

While you're not wrong, that saw is a terrible example. It's got a much nicer motor than the average corded weed whacker. Even says right there in the picture "brushless", indicating it has its own dedicated motor controller. That converts whatever input power it receives to either 3-phase AC (if it's a really nice controller) or an approximation thereof.

Most shitty tools just have brushed universal motors, which work on both DC and the RMS AC equivalent.
>>
>>1125604
lead acid battery + inverter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1RqgAFP5Q
>>
>>1125627

Corded power tools to be used on construction sites need to be 110v. 240v in the UK isn't allowed in any environment outside of domestic for portable appliances.

Also, just an fyi, if the cells in your batteries are between 1-1.5v they're scrap. They should be around 4.2v nominal charged and no lower than about 2.7v before cut off. That's presuming (and DeWalt do) use 18650 cells.
>>
>>1127133
Are you serious? I've never even seen a 110V outlet in my country, on job sites they usually have 230 and possible 3*400(16A and/or 32A) for cranes and such
>>
File: IMG_20170207_072234667.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170207_072234667.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>1127165
Absolutely serious. Only applications permitted for 415 3phase is temporary hoist and lifting gear and the occasional welder. Otherwise all 110v. Most temporary lighting is now 48v
>>
>>1127371
Why though? Lower voltage would mean higher amps for the same power output. I've been zapped by 230 and it wasn't fun but you'll live....
>>
>>1127409
I've had 240v shocks but the difference between 240v and 110v is the possibility of coming into contact with earth on a construction site.

You need to understand the difference between current and voltage, how breakers and RCDs work and you should then realise why 110v is used rather than 240v.
>>
>get a 12V or 24V battery pack of your choice, either a car battery or a high capacity/discharge rate LiPo
>buy a car inverter producing 110 or 220V, whatever you need
>plug your power tool into it

It's most likely going to cost more than $50 though, unless you can get the battery for free, or you only need <500W output
>>
>>1127434
> You need to understand the difference between current and voltage, how breakers and RCDs work

I know all those things. You're talking about the possibility of coming into contact with earth but to me that still doesn't prove anything.

All I could think of is that because lower voltage/higher amps an RCD would be tripped(or triggered?) slower at 110V because the amps are lower?

If there's a leak to an earthed device that has a resistance of about 500ohm:

230V/500ohm = 460mA
110V/500ohm = 220mA

Our standard circuit breakers trip at a leak of 300mA or more(there's an extra one for washing machines, bathrooms, ... that's only 30mA) so at 230V it would trip but not at 110V, in this particulier case. Not sure what it's like in UK.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.