[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

please help me unfuck my door it's completely rusty and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: plshelpDIY.jpg (814KB, 2916x1296px) Image search: [Google]
plshelpDIY.jpg
814KB, 2916x1296px
please help me unfuck my door

it's completely rusty and broken, the bottom hinge gave up like 5 months ago and now the middle one gave up too, so this is the current state of my door

The problem i have is that i want to replace the door, but the hinges are soldered to the frame, and the frame is embedded in the concrete wall, so the only way to get it out is to cut it, but i have no power tools to get it out, is there an easy way to replace the hinges and the door?

more details in pic related
>>
If embedded hinges are still usable just remove the door and reuse the other half of the hinges on the new door. Otherwise your easiest option will probably be to cut off the existing hinges, grind down what's left to get nice flat metal and fillet weld a new hinge onto the frame.
>>
>>1125119
More pics please
>>
>>1125121
any angle? want to see them from outside?
>>
1) go to HF
2) buy cheap grinder
3) buy cut off wheel for grinder
4) buy cheap welder & helmet
5) go to hardware store
6) buy new hinges
7) go home
8) install cut off wheel on to grinder
9) plug in grinder
10) put on safety glasses
11) use grinder to cut old hinges off
12) weld new hinges on
>>
>>1125124
how do i make sure that i place the hinges correctly?
if i place them like 1 degree off couldnt that fuck up everything?
>>
>>1125124
Might even be cheaper to hire the welder and grinder if its a once off.
>>
>>1125122
Closed so i can see the hinges and a pic from both sides
>>
>>1125127
just measure and mark them before welding

>>1125128
it'd likely be close to the same really. you can get a grinder from HF for like $15 and a 120amp flux core welder for $100 which comes with a spool of sample wire thet'd be more then enough for the job. a cheap helmet is about $50 or you could go really cheap and just get goggles for like $10 which would work just for for a one off job. should be able to do the whole project for $200 and as a bonus you now have a welder you can fuck around with for fun
>>
>>1125131
im uploading an album its gonna be here once it finishes

http://imgur.com/a/4Xty3
>>
>>1125127
Hinges can be off a couple degrees so long as you can force in the pin. Practicality sake I'd cut off and flush up the old hinges, put the new ones on the door and put the pin in em. Then hold your door up in the frame to get the elevation. Mark the elevation and then square up and weld on the new ones. Other anons are right though, if you have no welding experience or need for a welder past this project it'll be cheaper and probably turn out better to hire it out.
>>
>>1125138
they actually taught me how to weld in school so I remember how to do it
>>
>>1125136
that door looks like it's pretty much fucked really. at the very least i'd be sanding it down to bare metal and repainting but i think you'll find the bottom part is likely nothing but rust
>>
File: 1471727390807.jpg (51KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1471727390807.jpg
51KB, 400x533px
>>1125140
mfw its actually hollow metal filled with foam
>>
>>1125141
is it an inside door or outside?
>>
>>1125119

You say the hinges are welded to the frame, but I only see welds on the door.

The door frame seems is simply wood isn't it? The hinges seem epoxied in there, bizarre.
>>
>>1125144
i dont know if this is what you mean, but it opens to the inside and its metal covered foam

>>1125145
i dont know if the hinges are welded, now im thinking that they are actually embedded to the frame in some weird way
either way the frame is actually metallic, not wooden, it seems wooden just because of the shitty phone cam quality
>>
>>1125145
looks like a metal frame. it does look like you could remove it without too much fucking around but of course you then have to replace it which can get fairly expensive if OP has to hire someone to do it
>>
>>1125146
what i mean is is this a door just for a room or is it a door leading outside the house? if it's just a room door you could replace it with a cheap wood door fairly easily.
>>
>>1125146
Can you get a nice close up pic of each side of a hinge?
>>
>>1125151
so so
it's actually a door leading outside but it doesn't lead "outside" in the sense of a street, it leads to a closed patio.
>>
>>1125154
it would need to be a fairly sturdy door then and i assume the patio isn't heated so also needs some foam for insulation.

honestly you really only have 2 options. the best is to just replace the entire thing frame and all but if that's not in the budget you'll have to weld some new hinges on.
>>
>>1125158
I think I may actually be able to convince my folks to pay for it since it's their house and i'm not gonna live here for too long anyway...

i mean insulation is not an issue, i live in a pretty fucking warm place, it's ucrrently summer and temperature has peaked at 56° so the door is open whenever theres sunlight unless we have the AC turned on

i wasn't planning on keeping the door tho, it's absolutely fucked.
>>
>>1125159
yeah if you're gonna replace the door it's best to do the frame too. never had much luck getting doors to fit properly using old frames.
>>
>>1125134
> Cost of shit

Ahh right, im ausfag, I keep forgetting we get smashed because island tax. You'd be lucky to get an 80A stuck welder for less than $150 out here. Having said that, our hire houses give you helmets, gloves, slag hammers etc with the welder. Makes sense here I guess.
>>
>>1125215
yeah we Canadians get fucked too, i just looked up HF shit since it's mostly Americans here. Princess Auto is the Canadian version of HF and the cheapest flux core welder they have is an 80amp for $200. cheapest grinder is also $40 so more then twice the price

really fucking retarded how cheap some shit is in the US
>>
>>1125141
Hahaha! Classic harold joking around as always.

You are just an electrition harold.

And a suprememe meme.

Gimme that gun and my 1 bullet.
>>
>>1125370
>be you
>get passport
>go to US. Buy chink tools
>return to Canada
>???
>Profit
>>
>>1125370
I was in the US last august. The reality hit when I saw zippos for $5 at wally world. $30+ out here.

I really enjoyed my time there and want to go back to do the full experience (went over basically to say goodbye to my brother before cancer took him out, no interest whatsoever in doing the tourist thing for obvious reasons), but as it stands I'm not sure I want to. I just don't want to find myself in arguments I don't want to be in I guess.

Meh. Sage because unrelated.
>>
>>1125370
Not just that. Exchange rate also. I remember going up to Calgary when it was about 1:1. Now it's .77 US Pesos to the Loonie.
>>
>>1125450
Canadian dollar is currently only worth 75 cents US. There's also a decent chance you have to pay sales tax coming back into Canada. When the dollar was even it was well worth going across the border but now it ends up costing you more
>>
OP, don't bother with a slab. Just get a new prehung door and cut the jamb out. Prehung exterior doors aren't much more expensive than slabs and require a lot less work. Slabs are only if you value your time very low or if you want to preserve the trim work.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.