[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey friends, so my exhaust muffler is kinda old and it has some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Smiling alone.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Smiling alone.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
Hey friends, so my exhaust muffler is kinda old and it has some pretty small holes, after inspection it was told me to fix it, thing that can be done pretty easy with a couple welds.

The question is I don't have any experience neither equipment but my mentality is to buy the tools and learn to use them rather than pay to someone to do so, now can a complete newbie do a decent job with a couple hours watching youtube and training in some piece of steel? Also how much can I expect to spend in a welding machine that will last me?

ANy hell is appreciated and thanks for your time in advance.
>>
File: Claire Gerhardstein 6.webm (2MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
Claire Gerhardstein 6.webm
2MB, 404x720px
*help

also sorry for the very poor english, obviously I'm not an anglo.
>>
>>1124821
Welding exhaust is not easy and can't be done with a cheap machine
>>
If your exhaust has degraded to the point that holes are appearing; welding on that steel is a futile effort
>>
Be cheaper to look for a bolt on exhaust then but the tools you need to weld
>>
>>1124826

I've stick welded cast iron manifolds before and they held up.

Conventional wisdom says cast iron has different cooling and expansion than the welds so it will eventually crack.
>>
>>1124821
i wonde rif you could braze it with bronze rod. you wouldn't have to worry about blowing through thin sheet steel
>>
>>1124821
muffler putty
exhaust bandages
you apply to the holes then run the car for 15 minutes and it bakes in. obviously if you cared about the car then you could spend $2000 on a new exhaust. if you just want to seal the leaks then buy muffler putty for a few dollars.
>>
>>1124821
No. That is a pain in the ass fucking job with shit thin metal and your pinholes will be a lot larger if u ever get it welded.

Fucking faggot emission nazies.

Take it to a shop and just get a $45 thrush off internet.

Car sound and run better and not be super loud.
>>
>>1124842
The fuck...

Come fix my car.

Or find me a set of headders for a fucking comaro...
>>
>>1124821
who is this?
>>
>>1124887
If you have a Camaro you could try searching for it correctly spelled. Also, headers will give better search results than headders.

TL:DR protip - try searching for "Camaro headers" rather than "Comoro headders".
>>
>>1124886
>No. That is a pain in the ass fucking job with shit thin metal and your pinholes will be a lot larger if u ever get it welded.

Seconded. The metal around the holes is just sturdy rust. You need to find healthy metal and build from there and that can be hard when the exhaust is already rusted.
I have welded these kind of holes and I'm not that experienced but it involved a lot of swearing and it didn't turn out that pretty or even good.
I did weld the fuel tank on my 88 Mercedes and it eventually did hold the juice inside but boy was that a pain in the ass!
>>
>>1124821
Welding an exhaust isn't too hard unless the exhaust is cheap and as thin as paper. An easy alternative is to sand down the areas where you have holes and put a product called Holts Gun Gum on it. Costs about 5 euros for a tub. You work it in your hands and press it onto the broken areas of the exhaust. If you really clean down the exhaust well with sandpaper it will hold for several years. Ideally don't drive the car for a few hours to let it set, then gradually heat up the exhaust with the engine to "cure" the gum. if you drive it hard initially the exhaust pressure will blow out the gum.
>>
>>1124821
the muffler body is aluminium-plated mild steel, and once the steel's rusted out from the inside you're left with a 0.03mm thick shell of dirty corroded aluminium. it's not weldable.

what you need to do is cut the exhaust back to a non-rusty part and weld in a whole new section of tube and a new muffler.
>>
exhaust and catalytic converter welder here

since i started my first job in this field and learned the ropes doing exhaust i can safely say you will probably screw shit up more then fix it.

like >>1124826 says it aint easy but it can be done with a relatively cheap but reliable machine such as a lincoln electric 140. specifically using 309 .030 wire. you will need to buy a small bottle of 75/25 co2/argon as well. also you need to be aware of something called a duty cycle. this machine is probably rated for a 20% duty cycle. which means that within 10 min time if you use it for 2 min then it will need 8 min to cool off. otherwise it will simply not work. for a light duty machine this is the average and will suit your needs perfectly

do not go with gasless flux core. the hard part of exhaust is the thickness or rather the thinness of the parent material. you will suffer burnthrough if you are not experienced.

some pointers.

>clean all the areas where you are putting a weld in. you can avoid porosity and wormholes by doing this one weird trick
>manually pulse the trigger. i cant tell you how to become a sick exhaust welder in one post. "stitching" will help you avoid burnthrough and its pretty much baby steps
>weld down dowhhill. welding uphill creates more penetration. you DONT want that on thin wall tubing. lets say its where the tubing meets the flange. start at the 12 oclock position and weld down towards 3 oclock

if you have more questions i will check back from time to time
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.