[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good evening, /diy/. I'm wanting to build my children an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Gscope.jpg (53KB, 428x397px) Image search: [Google]
Gscope.jpg
53KB, 428x397px
Good evening, /diy/.

I'm wanting to build my children an air traffic control treehouse, complete with a RADAR screen (C-scope or G-Scope--like you'd see in a RAPCON) but I can't find anywhere online that sells the bastards, not even Fry's.

Anyone know where I can get one of these puppies? All I need is the screen and I can wire it up to make fake blips so my kids think there's actually aircraft around.

Thanks.
>>
>>1124182
Thats military stuff anon. TRY ASKING THEM :)))
>>
>>1124183
I was in the Air Force for 9 years as base ops. Most of my friends were ATC. It's a simply scope/screen which is wired up to the ASR or DASR or whatever, but all I want is the damn screen.
>>
>>1124183
>>1124185
>>1124182
Or, if I can find an O-scope that goes in circles like you'd see in the old movies in submarines. I just don't know the technical term OR they just don't sell them.
>>
>>1124186
An oscilloscope is an oscilloscope. If you want it to draw a circle you put it in xy mode. Pretty much any scope ever made has an xy mode, new digital ones it will be buried away somewhere but analog there will be a button on the front. Voltage of one input controls x the other controls y. If the signals are same frequency in phase the line is diagonal, out of phase 180 is diagonal the other way? 90 degrees out draws a circle, variation in frequency makes the circle wobble in and out of lines and shit. All the things you see in movies is literally any old two channel scope in xy mode connected to a signal generator.
Your radar box should output the x y signals to directly connect to a scope like this.
The crt itself is also pretty much a horizontal and a vertical deflection electromagnet so if you wanted to you if you could find where to inject the signal and match the voltage and impedances and shit you could connect it to an old television.
>>
>>1124195
Lissajous. I can never remember that guys name.
>>
>>1124195
I'm going to have to research what all you said, but I know the basics of an oscope so that'll help.

Thanks dude!
>>
>>1124182
OP, what major airport is closest to you?

Not looking for address or doxing, just the airport name.
>>
>>1124195
>Pretty much any scope ever made has an xy mode

No. I own 19 CRT scopes and I've yet to get my hands on one with an X,Y input. Those are often called vectorscopes instead of oscilloscopes.

>>1124182
You could try to hack a CRT monitor/TV. You can cut the deflection coil wires and build your own driver circuit to make it a vector monitor. The coils are still going to be setup for X,Y deflection, but going to polar coordinates is just math. You might also be able to hunt down a Vectrex or Asteroids, Tempest, etc cabinet which has most of that work done for you.

Could also be done with lasers. Two galvo mounted mirrors gets the same vectorscope effect.
>>
>>1124182
Fake it. Get an old LCD display at a garage sale. Make a circular mask. Use a Raspberry Pi to drive it and write some code to generate the map. You can add an DVB reciever dongle (about $20) and get some code to display actual aircraft ADSB position data on the map.
>>
>>1124229
This
>>
>>1124182
>>1124229
STRONGLY AGREE
Using an LCD monitor with a rounded mask in front of it is an excellent solution. Low cost (especially if you have one sitting around), simple, setup, and infinitely flexible.

I would also like to point out that your kids don't know exactly what the real thing looks like, so you have quite a bit of leeway.
>>
Not OP, I was wondering if you could /diy/ a marine radar.

I was wondering about a /diy/ deep sea fishfinder and sidescan sonar also.

I'm guessing you could /diy/ the electronics but the coding would be a bitch?
>>
>>1124182 (OP)
>>1124229
>>1124249
This.

Also CRT based devices requires high-voltage, and letting high-voltage around kids AND in a hardly earthed environment (tree) is strong 404 potential
>>
>>1124310
Older LCDs also have high voltage in them for running the cold cathode backlights.
>>
>>1124330
read the whole thread faggot

>>1124229
circular mask
>>1124249
rounded mask

The purpose of a such mask will be to make the LCD look like a round screen, hence it will hide/protect the sides where the backlights are.

if kids smash a stone thru the LCD screen it will be harmless, and even if the backlights gets smashed or exposed, it's still less deadly than exposing the anode of an exploded CRT screen
>>
>>1124210
>I own 19 CRT scopes and I've yet to read an instruction manual
tried setting HORIZONTAL to EXT and using the EXT HORIZ jack?
>>
File: ipad.jpg (290KB, 1280x907px) Image search: [Google]
ipad.jpg
290KB, 1280x907px
>>1124205
>OP, what major airport is closest to you?

I asked this so the link I posted would be for your airport.
No response so I'll use St.Louis, MO.
http://www.flightradar24.com/38.74,-90.26/9

Inexpensive tablet with WiFi
Mask right square of screen
Right side shows traffic
Left unmasked rectangle shows info on selected craft
Install in small, painted plywood console

pic related - screenshot from link
>>
>>1124210
19 shitty scopes
Feel sorry for you guy because you are obviously retarded
>>
>>1124335
>worried about a kid with a crt
Fucking pussy. I had CRT monitors, CRT TVs, CRT pants as a kid and nothing ever happened to me. If your kids are too destructive to not implode a CRT, they shouldn't have electronics in the first place.
>>
Get him a real radar, otherwise his life will be full of lies
>>
>>1124739
Be careful too much CRT you will get cancer and hijack a cruise ship
>>
>>1124182
>>1124186

Just get a used analog scope from craigslist or similar

Then you just need to find a novelty signal for it. It already does exactly what you need it to do. It even has lots of knobs and switches that would entertain kids because they are so satisfying and curious.
>>
>>1124182
By an oldschool CRT, put a circular bezel around it, plug it into a RasPi and put on a screen saver of an animated scope.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.