[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any machinists here? What would be the best way to cut a 2x2x2"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: aluminum-blocks-1554405.jpg (5KB, 268x200px) Image search: [Google]
aluminum-blocks-1554405.jpg
5KB, 268x200px
Any machinists here?

What would be the best way to cut a 2x2x2" square hole out of a small block of aluminum? (Not thru hole)
>>
>>1123976
hog it out with a roughing endmill
then use the smallest endmill you have to straighten the corners as best you can
>>
>>1123981
That's what I was thinking

What other alternatives can you think of doing the job?
>>
>>1123986
it would be less wasteful to weld the cube you need out of pieces of sheet aluminum
>>
>>1123976
Use a square hole drill with the right configuration so you don't get a hex hole, which I think is the more common one.
>>
>>1123986
>>1123976

I'm not entirely clear...but it sounds like you want a pocket hole?

If that's the case, the first suggestion is arguably the most correct. No machinist would think twice about how to do it. If, for some reason, however, you can't do that, best I could suggest is drill out most of it, flatten the bottom with an endmill, and clean up the corners/side as best you can with a chisel.

It'll be ugly and take forever, but it'll work if all you need is a mostly-square pocket hole. Can't really think of any other way that isn't ridiculously impractical. Unless you are set up for casting. In which case, "duh".
>>
Oтpeжь 2-кy и cвapи 1-нy
>>
>>1123997
>it would be less wasteful to weld the cube you need out of pieces of sheet aluminum

Confirmed for dumbass. Small billet like OPs pic isn't expensive. Making a weldment for something that small is retarded, and expecting a weldment to be precise without finish machining even more so.
>>
>>1123976
Drill and broach
>>
>>1124056
Nevermind I can't read. How sharp do you need the corners?
>>
>>1123976
Plunge EDM

rotary broach

or maybe a shaper
>>
>>1124066
Shapers are cool. My machinistbro has a Cincinnati made in 1913 which is nearly immaculate and has enormous torque. He uses it rarely, but when he does it makes him money.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (20KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
20KB, 1280x720px
>>1123997
>>
>>1123976
drill the biggest hole you can then use a tin nibbler
>>
>>1124066
>Plunge EDM
/thread
>>
>>1123997
"No"
>>
>>1123976
Mill it out or sink and burn in an edm are your literal only options
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.