[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does an used car battery has any /diy/ utility? Also do they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 100311-800x800.jpg (87KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
100311-800x800.jpg
87KB, 800x800px
Does an used car battery has any /diy/ utility? Also do they have any value for scrapyard?
>>
They are worth just as much as lead. At my scrapyard I get 0.5$ per kg of battery
>>
Off the top of my head..
- NiG-welding
- Backup in the trunk for big car stereos.
- Alarm system with IR-detector wired to 12V fog horn.
- For diagnosing faulty 12V appliances.
>>
>>1123657
>NiG-welding

Bix nood
>>
>>1123657
>- NiG-welding
that shit is pretty fucking awful

a damn chinese stick welder from harbor freight costs about the same as a name brand car battery
>>
>>1123688
Yup. And i have had 1 haul truck battery and 1 car battery blow up in my face.

Dont be fucking around with old car batteries op
>>
>>1123652
The lead is valuable. If you pick up people's old car batteries and take them to the scrapper you will receive an nice amount of €¥$¢
>>
>>1123652
Sulphuric acid
Lead
Paper weight
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGhNfJfSK0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FR4sEmY-54
>>
UPS

solar battery

camping battery (charge before hand if it doesnt hold)

backup battery if it holds charge

battery for camera system

stuff that batteries are used for breh.

if its a pos then take out the lead or copper inside. careful of acid! use baking soda to neutralize or another base

wear goggles and gloves
>>
Farm and Fleet pays $10/per around me.
>>
>>1123652
a meth head detection device.
leave it on your sidewalk and be amazed by how quickly scrappers remove it.
>>
I use mine to power some 12v patio LED's in the summer, got a cheap little solar panel charger for it and it just looks after its self.
>>
>>1124859
it's been 5 or 6 years but when i was running scrap we got 75 cents a pound
>>
>>1123654

Holy shit.

How pricey/difficult is it to recondition batteries??

You could buy a ton of car batteries and have a nice array for a solar panel.
>>
>>1126738
Well you have to deal with sulfuric acid, so dunno if it'd be worth it.
>>
>>1126749

Eh you just gotta neutralize it with a base like baking soda, filter it, then you can dump it somewhere and burn the filter.

Right? Sulfur comes out of the ground anyways.
>>
>>1123657
Disregard this post.

>>1126738
>How pricey/difficult is it to recondition batteries??

It's not the great depression any more. It's not even worth while.

When you say used you're not just going to replace your car battery without a reason so it's fucked. And fucked means it's scrap so that's what use it has.

Scrap.
>>
>>1126738
>How pricey/difficult is it to recondition batteries??

Difficult, if they're genuinely worn out. The plate themselves deform over time, in addition to the gradual sulfation of the electrodes.

You basically have to re-make them (as in, reduce them to raw materials and build them all over again) in order to truly bring them to like-new condition.

Car batteries are especially unsuited for repeated cycling. The electrodes are made to have high surface area to produce a lot of power for short periods when turning the engine over. In exchange, however, they sacrifice durability. Car batteries are much more delicate than the solid plates of deep-cycle batteries, and lose a lot of their capacity after being drained and re-charged even a few times.
>>
>>1123652
they're worth keeping in case someone ever tries to stick you with a core charge you can just give them an old used battery and not get charged a core charge
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.