[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how can i fix noisy ceiling vents? the circular ones are unbearably

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

how can i fix noisy ceiling vents? the circular ones are unbearably noisy. the issue goes away entirely if i remove the vent. is there a way make a hole in the ceiling not look like a hole in the ceiling?
>>
>>1123115
>unbearably noisy. the issue goes away entirely if i remove the vent
what noise

>>1123115
>make a hole in the ceiling not look like a hole in the ceiling

um, no
>>
>>1123116
the noise of air hitting the vents vertically and being spread horizontally i assume. its a loud whooshing sound.
>>
Maybe wax the fins.
>>
>>1123115
make sure the damper is solid and not vibrating.
If the air volume is too high there isn't much you can do. i.e. whistling. Save closing the damper. And those look wide open. Damper is adjusted by a screwdriver in that central hole.
One way to remove some noise is to use dampening material. Basically a lead rubber sandwich with a sticky side. Audio nuts use it, and it's expensive stuff.
>>
>>1123115

Make a wood ring with a hole in the center which doesn't look like it was made by an absolute retard. Clamp a piece of stainless steel mesh between it and the ceiling?

Might make less air noise while still obscuring the guts of the airduct.
>>
>>1123115

Is it just the angle of the shot or is part of the duct not lining up with the hole in the ceiling?
>>
>>1123136
they are two different vents, one with the cover off and the other with it on.

the opening with no cover is pretty half assed if thats what your asking.

>>1123128
>>1123129
>>1123134
i'll mess around with the damper but i'll probably just end up framing the hole and stretching a mesh over it.
>>
>>1123140
Buy one
Google this. Hart-Cooley-12902-10-Round-White-Ceiling-Diffuser
or just round ceiling difuser.
They are fairly cheap.
>>
>>1123115

Really it's been a poorly designed system. It's high velocity what's causing the noise as you've gathered and this would be countered by using bigger grilles or valve type diffusers as moving a larger volume of air over a larger surface area would reduce the noise produced.

If you can afford to reduce air flow that's one way. Otherwise id look at replacing it with a larger diameter vent or something that's specifically designed for acoustic solutions. Have a look at the lindab catalogue and you'll find more suited options.
>>
>>1123115
either clean, paint, wax existing one or replace with a new one.

one little scratch can start a whistle, so if it's as nasty and dirty as the duct above it, I think that it might make a difference.

Also how much air is passing between the warped vent and the ceiling? Doesn't look like those 3 screws that warp it are original, it looks like it was originally supported by a screw or such in the center.

Your shit is dirty as hell, broken, and jury rigged.
Replace it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.