[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am building a pulsed Nd:YAG laser for holography and need a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: science.jpg (48KB, 200x193px) Image search: [Google]
science.jpg
48KB, 200x193px
I am building a pulsed Nd:YAG laser for holography and need a power supply for the flashlamps. Do I really have to build my own circuit? It seems like there should be something ready-made to flash the lights for <1ms. Maybe I just don't know what to Google for?

Please ignore if you don't know anything about lasers except what you found on Wikipedia after reading this post.
>>
>>1122473

Does it need to be series triggered?

If your flash lamp has a trigger wire on the tube like a bog standard flashlamp, use a bog standard flashlamp power supply.

http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/kits.html
>>
>>1122519
>http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/kits.html
That's awesome, thanks! It doesn't have a trigger wire, but is meant to be parallel triggered.
>>
>>1122473
By 'building a YAG laser' I assume you mean you found an already assembled chassis without a power supply. I work with YAG lasers all the time in a research setting, and the internal optics are pretty well tuned. If you only have a YAG crystal and a dream, then you have bigger problems than the power supply. Anyway, I hate to say it on /diy/ but your best bet may be to call around and see if a dealer has an old power supply for cheap. Also, does it have to be a YAG laser? There are tons of cheap diodes out there that can make a nice beam, in a variety of colors, with plenty of power, if you just clean up the eliptical beam first. The power supply to drive one of those is just an Lm317 and a couple of resistors; no high voltage flash lamp required.

Do you have green sensitive holographic film? I've only ever used red and 3 color. Do you have the other optics to set it up? You will definitely need a spatial filter to clean the beam up, and first surface mirrors really help for beam steering.
>>
>>1122548

Not OP, but the advantage of a pulsed laser is that you can stop caring so much about vibrations.
>>
>>1122473
I did some very minor and poor quality holography in highschool (a long long time ago), but we didn't use flashlamps. What are the flashlamps for?
>>
>>1122557
As stated by >>1122553 , I want to avoid building a huge rock table and other claptrap by just making the laser powerful enough to expose the plate in under 100ns. To do this, I need a large laser rod pumped with flashlamps.

I would really like to just buy a ready-made laser and be done with it, but most big lasers are designed for a continuous beam rather than one huge pulse. The pulsed ones cost more than my house, and I don't need anything that high-quality.

>>1122548
If you stop some time and think about what makes you feel the need to say stuff like this, it WILL improve your life. I've been through it myself.
>>
>>1122593
I stopped and thought about it, and I'm a total dick. I don't know why I do the things I do.

Anyway, describe your setup OP.

Also, let's turn this in to a holography general. I've got about 1W of 635, 532, and 445 each. Given the fact that I do have access to a couple of reasonable areas on a couple of Newport hydrolic benches, what's the best that I can do? I have an idea or two for a summer project. I'm thinking a 4' x 6' total film area and either a live model or a scene that has a large depth of field. Will I be able to do it with 3 diode lasers?
>>
>>1122593
I don't see a single problem with >>1122548. He obviously knows his shit and was quite neutral in his questioning and statements.

..the fuck?
>>
I would be interested to know if there's a fundamental difference between triggering krypton and xenon bulbs. I have heard rumors that krypton bulbs are harder to trigger for the same size tube, and more sensitive to power, energy, and temperature.

I'd also like to know how to measure the power/energy/duration of the pulse WITHOUT hooking up the flashtube. There's probably a simple solution, but I don't know much about electronics.

>>1122852
That's impressive. Does your fraptal resamalator have two twin-cooling gigs?
>>
>>1123498
Honestly OP, why are you even here? Your questions are retardedly simple, and your attitude is surprisingly petulant.

I've worked with flashlamps on different yags, and I've even designed my own HV and triggering circuits (something surprisingly simple to do) but I'm not going to help you, and it doesn't look like anyone else here is going to either. Why don't you just fuck off back to /b/ where your teenage peers still assume that your standoffish attitude implies intelligence. Nobody wants you here.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.