[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im about to lay tile through my house, do i actually need a crack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: serveimage(17).jpg (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(17).jpg
90KB, 1920x1080px
im about to lay tile through my house, do i actually need a crack isolation membrane or does that only matter in certain climates /materials? the tiles im laying are quite long (2.4m) so i dont want cracks
>>
>>1122120
I would assume the tile manufacturer has info on this on the box, a factsheet or online. Or ask the retailer.
>>
>>1122120
Important question is how old is the house? Followed by how stable is the subfloor?

Basically if the house is 15 - 20 yo and had time to settle and has visible signs of settling I'd say no, you don't need the membrane. If it is still settling then yes.
>>
enjoy ripping up the thin set
>>
>>1122120
using a flexible cement adhesive is a requirement for huge tiles, just to stop them popping loose from differential expansion.

crack membrane is more for when the concrete you're laying tile on is already cracked, is certain to crack in the future, or you need to tile over a flexible expansion joint between two slabs for some insane reason.
>>
>>1122179
its 20years old and thr concrete has cracks

>>1122203
you mean of tbe stuff thats here? i look foward to ir

>>1122210
so i need a flexi thinset?
>>
>>1122342
it must be flexible, it must be cement-based.
quicksetting is beneficial but not required.
>>
2.4 meters? That's huge.
>>
>>1122368
2.4m x 18cm
>>
>>1122379
>2.4m x 18cm
does it simulate wood?
>>
>>1122381
yes, its wood tiles
. i thought it was a good idea
>>
>>1122120
Tilesetter here. I'd do the crack prevention membrane over the cracks and about a foot in either direction. I use Noble TS or HydroBan from Laticrete. Also I'd look into gettin some long (>8foot) straight edges to check the floor for humps and dips. With large tiles like you got you need to make double sure your floor is good and flat.
>>
>>1122403
Hell, I bet those tiles are fairly bowed because of how long they are. Make sure you have the right pattern.
>>
>>1122427
is it possible for them to bow? what should i do about it? also the pattern was just gonna be laid in rows, nothing fancy.

>>1122403
how does that go with the tiles being even if the membrane adds a mm total
>>
>>1122395
the advice we've been giving you was for stone/ceramic tiles, effectively none of it applies to laminate wood flooring.
>>
File: 42337000.png (729KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
42337000.png
729KB, 1280x800px
>>1122479
>>
File: 42358204.png (354KB, 743x412px) Image search: [Google]
42358204.png
354KB, 743x412px
>>1122427
>I bet those tiles are fairly bowed because of how long they are
>>1122468
>is it possible for them to bow?
>>
>>1122481

Those will still not be 2.4m long.
>>
>>1122483

PS. oops, well fuck me for being a presumptuous moron. I see you can actually get fuck huge ceramic woodlike tiles now :/
>>
>>1122479
its not laminate, its ceramic tile that looks like wood.

>>1122486
theyre a fun piece, rven once you know its tile it doesnt feel tacky
>>
>>1122491

Are the tiles grooved just like laminate? The standard leveling tools for grouted tiles won't really work here.
>>
>>1122494
yeah they are, they're textured to a maximum of about 1mm
>>
>>1122506
The issue of added thickness over the floor is a problem if you go with a sheet membrane. A liquid will be much thinner. The tricky part of large tiles is getting the substrate as flat as possible first. Use a set lever in low spots and grind down the high ones. Also You need to make sure you're troweling your thinset correctly by burning it into the slab with the flat side first, using at least a 1/2" notch trowel for the setting bed, and skimming the Backs of each tile with more thinset to ensure a good bond.

The lippage due to warped tiles can be addessed by not having the tiles offset by more than 33%. Additionally you can use a spacing and leveling system like The Tuscan leveling system (or any others there are dozens of kinds now) to address any fine tuning you may want to die between tiles after they've been placed. Basically raising the odd low corner that crop up here and there.
>>
>>1122479
Those h seams are heresy
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.