[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, after watching a video on ram pumps I've decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ram pump.jpg (221KB, 911x653px) Image search: [Google]
ram pump.jpg
221KB, 911x653px
Hey /diy/,
after watching a video on ram pumps I've decided to build my own. Anyone built one of these before? What I'm not sure about is the check valve, in my guide it calls for two brass swing check valves but I've been reading online that these will wear out after a year if not sooner, would stainless steel be a better option to extend the life? I could also just go for an inline valve or even a cheap pvc valve if it's just going to break anyway.
>>
>>1121861
Are you using water in the system?

Yes they will wear out, but you should get a decent lifespan from brass. Stainless Steel will probably be better, but more expensive.

Generally it is a rubber seal that wears first in swing check valves, not the metal body.

The rubber seal can usually can be replaced easily.

I have no idea what a ram pump is though?
>>
>>1121861
If you're building a ramp pump like that, it's going to have to come apart periodically for cleaning and maintenance anyway. A yearly disassembly really isn't that often I would just use the brass ones and keep an eye out for if it becomes ineffective.
>>
I built a working model years ago.
>>
>>1121890
the swing check valves I'm looking at don't actually have an o ring. Here's a video of someone replacing a worn out check valve in there ram pump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlkuZjd2Frc
>>1121897
Yeah I think you're right, I'm just going to go with brass, makes me wonder if you can just buy the internals instead of replacing the whole thing.
>>
>>1122097
Pump maintenance for any kind of pump is annoying. If you plan on using it seriously, build two and keep a complete spare. I do that with conventional well pumps and it pays off because they never die at a convenient time.
>>
>>1121861
>ram pump
guys guys guys, could I use this pump to pump sea water?
>>
>>1121890
A hydraulic ram pump is a pump that uses the water hammer effect to use the energy of 10 gal of water falling 4 feet to pump 1 gal of water up 40 feet.

>>1123302
maybe? the only way I can think of to do it would be taking advantage of a tidal bore/tide pool that would let it run for an hour or two every day as the tide comes in.

>>1122097
there's some guides online for how to build a more adjustable drop check valve. honestly, I think that might be worth it, because I built one but haven't been able to get it working consistently. I cant tell if its leaves getting sucked in, or if it's that the ram pump is running slightly faster than the water source.

I would worry that every run of the flaps is a different size, I would expect that only the pipe size/thread is standardized
>>
>>1121861
oh no did you watch wranglerstar?
>>
>>1121861
>ram pump
Never heard of them. What a fascinatingly simple and elegant idea. I fucking love humans sometimes.
>>
>>1123392
yep. they were never super common because 90% of the time you could just go higher and aqueduct, or use a waterwheel/spiral pump, and it wasn't invented until the late 1800's, but it was a preferred method for traditional british manor houses.
The other brilliant one from the era was using a chain and gear to connect a fan in the fireplace flue to a roasting spit, so the rising hot air spins the fan and slowly turns the spit.

Although I will say there is a conspiracy theory that the pyramids were giant industrial ram pumps to keep the fountains in Giza running and spraying mist everywhere to make it livable.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.