[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC input devices are insane. You can get a mouse for the cos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: mouse.jpg (88KB, 1379x652px) Image search: [Google]
mouse.jpg
88KB, 1379x652px
PC input devices are insane. You can get a mouse for the cost of a Happy Meal, a full-featured videogame controller for $20, but if you want something unconventional like a single freaking knob that you can control software with you're looking at something on the order of $50-$100 even though it's ancient technology that China can produce for literal pennies. If you go looking for some custom-built solution, you're talking $hundreds, even if it's some crap you have to put together yourself.

All I really want is some encoder wheels that I can control some functions in the likes of Photoshop with. But I'm poor, and I don't' know anything about working with electronics and programming USB interfaces and such. I already have enough other things on my plate so no time to attempt to learn all that either.

The stupid thing is I may even have found a way to accomplish this. I could buy a bunch of garbage computer mice and harvest their guts (keeping them intact though), for their scroll wheels mainly, then shove like 4 of them into some garbage old USB hub, then use this software to remap their functions to whatever I want:
http://www.hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php
Maybe I'll shove the guts into a box of some sort to keep it all in place.

I'm horrified at how ghetto this is but I also can't see a reason why it wouldn't work. If you have a better solution please save me from this.
>>
>>1121557
>I'm horrified at how ghetto this is but I also can't see a reason why it wouldn't work

I was gonna say there might be a problem if that software (in a nutshell) went through Windows instead of actually interfacing directly with the mouse itself. But it explicitly states that you can use more than one mouse at a time, so you're in the clear there.

Go for it, bruv.

>You can get a mouse for the cost of a Happy Meal, a full-featured videogame controller for $20, but if you want something unconventional like a single freaking knob that you can control software with you're looking at something on the order of $50-$100 even though it's ancient technology that China can produce for literal pennies.

My hobbies are something along the lines of industrial automation, process technology, electronics, and robots. Your dilemma is not exclusive to any market. EVERYTHING goes way the fuck up in cost the second you step out of typical consumer goods. Discreet electronics components can see price differences as high as THREE ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE when talking singles vs. bulk orders of 100,000 or more. Never even mind the cost of things that essentially aren't used by the layman.

While I'm in a position to fully appreciate the insane standard of living that highly-optimized mass manufacturing for a huge market has provided, I can't help but look at it from a glass-half-empty perspective a lot of the time. At least raw materials are competitive enough that I can get those for not TOO much more than a manufacturer would pay.
>>
Arduino Leonardo is a USB HID
>>
>>1121563
I hear you dude. The saddest part of the problem here is actual device/peripheral manufacturers not seeing the value in bringing more devices like these to the market.

>>1121564
Thanks, I have heard of it but don't know anything about it. And again I'm pretty eletronics ignorant. I think even that would ultimately cost significantly more not even counting the time investment in learning/building.

There is a part of me that wants to actually build stuff like this but I have a bad habit of picking up hobbies and then never getting anywhere with them. Maybe some day...
>>
>>1121557
dont see why your 'solution' wouldn't work, eventually, maybe a few kinks to iron out is all.
to throw a few 'ready-built' alternatives at you tho, encoder wheels, cheap midi comtrollers are full of them, then (to PShop specifically as example, but principle applicable to anything):
>http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3116
progs like premiere, probably find a complete profile already written, depending on availability midi controller.

or use a touchpanel as control pad, maybe not as tactile as your looking for, but flexible, get cheap android tablets for $40, add TouchOSC:
>http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
- again, thats to MIDI, but, just as idea.
>>
>>1121566
Yeah, you probably don't want to be writing your own HID descriptors...
>>
>>1121574
>bome
Thanks, I'm aware of this. I also own a couple of simple MIDI controllers. Unfortunately Bome isn't free (there is a free version but it's only free for noncommercial use so that's problematic). Beyond that, MIDI controllers usually have knobs with absolute positions (as opposed to endless encoders) which tend to have issues/quirkiness with syncing to software variables. I'd definitely prefer the endless encoders like they use in mouse wheels.

I actually spent a little time searching for an alternative MIDI to keystroke application earlier, but only found one that was Mac only and another obscure one that I couldn't get to work.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to get the software linked in the OP to work so far either so my plan is already starting to fall apart!
>>
I found out that GlovePIE can map multiple connected mice.

I also found out that the mouse wheel SPECIFICALLY is not supported (""yet"") with multiple mice. I have version 0.45 and I don't know of any later release than that.

Dicks
>>
>>1121557
OP, what exactly are you trying to accomplish in Photoshop? There may already be solutions and alternatives. I mapped my mouse wheel to change brush sizes with macros.
>>
File: DSCN0689a.jpg (288KB, 1024x2252px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0689a.jpg
288KB, 1024x2252px
>>1121557
I just use some cheap Logitech and their profiler to remap actions. Everything else can be ghetto as fuck for all I care.
>>
People need to realise
USB is not your friend
>>
>>1121864
What would you use?
>>
>>1121863
>crt
>cardboard box
>bucket lid
This is beautiful. Tell me you made pedals too.
>>
>>1121874
Made from more mice.
Real mice.
Hooked up to a microphone.
The louder the squeek, the faster it goes.
>>
Get a bunch of rotary encoders, hook them up to an arduino, and use the arduino to register keypresses in the host machine.

https://learn.adafruit.com/pro-trinket-rotary-encoder/example-rotary-encoder-volume-control
>>
>>1121557
Google usb knob on aliexpress they probably sell what you are looking for.

If you don't want a chinese keylogger, arduino can be used for a human interface device
>>
>>1121557
Do they need to work simultaneously? If not, just get autohotkey and make some modifier keys for your regular mouse scroll wheel.
>>
OP here. I got the HIDMacros software to work somehow. I was able to successfully map a spare mouse's wheel to the shortcut keys for brush size in Photoshop. I set the program to launch minimized to tray and added it to the Windows startup folder. So it should remain functional without needing my further input, even now.
See: ]]]]][[[[[[[]]]]][[[[[
I purchased 4 new wired mice off of ebay for about $6.50 shipped. I also purchased 2 4-port USB hubs for $1 each (I bought 2 because there's a very real chance of one of these things short circuiting and not working altogether and typical shipping time is like 3 weeks). I wanted to see how cheaply I could do this and so far we're looking at something on the order of $7.

My intention is to use 4 scroll wheels to control brush size, brush softness, zoom, and probably opacity. I'll also have the mouse buttons available which I could make use of, although I'm not exactly lacking for buttons. I'll probably make the "middle-click" for the zoom wheel reset the zoom anyways.

I want to create some kind of enclosure that's reasonably ergonomic rather than just duct-taping 4 mice together. Not sure how I'll do that yet but I'll figure that out when I get there. For now it's just waiting a few weeks for shipments from China.

Ghetto rig thread please.
>>
>>1121869
There is nothing else that's the problem. Read the usb spec it's all over the place.
Last time I checked usb consortium wanted $5000 for a vid.
For an example microchip managed an arrangement where people using their chips could be assigned a pid under their vid. Usb consortium limited it to 10,000 devices, after that you have to apply for your own vid.
So you make something and it takes off now what? Reversion and roll out new drivers to handle it. Fucking retarded.
Try interfacing with a custom device it's a nightmare under windows, signed drivers and faulty winusb drivers require win32 not available in managed framework.
I hate the word ubiquitous but it applies to usb but holy fuck you would think it would at least be good but its so shitty. Don't get me started charging ipads with 5v@3A fucking retarded.
>>
>>1122011
This is a good idea, however doesn't work well when you're using a drawing tablet. If I planned to stick with the mouse I would probably do this.
>>
>>1122092
>Last time I checked usb consortium wanted $5000 for a vid.

But you don't need one.
Use a shared VID/PID like V-USB's one and use whatever usb descriptor/report you want.
>>
File: DIY-Steering-Wheel.png (511KB, 1275x719px) Image search: [Google]
DIY-Steering-Wheel.png
511KB, 1275x719px
I have come to the same conclusion as you when it comes to custom input devices.

Was looking for a stand alone media key bar a clouple of months ago. Just pause/play next etc and a volume knob, connected to usb. Couldn't find it anywhere.

On the pic a shitty diy steering wheel used for that euro trucker game. Maybe you can use this principle for wheels or slides.
>>
>>1122108
you can use any pid vid combo you want as long as there is no collision on your own hardware. not the point. i haven't read usb3 spec but we had how many revisions of v1 and v2 and at no point anyone thought hmm maybe we could have expanded the vid space or set aside smaller blocks. a company is going to pump out 65500~ products is that realistic? i know there a plenty of people and small companies who would pay out a reasonable amount for a smaller pid space.
usb insists pids are not transferable, pretty sure they tried to sue someone who was selling individual pids after 'updating' the contract of use.
>>
>>1121863
God I fucking love arma 2. It's even better now that the 12 yearold dayz fags have left.
>>
>>1122083
>My intention is to use 4 scroll wheels to control brush size, brush softness, zoom, and probably opacity.
What you can do is set it so the mouse buttons act as modifier keys:
wheel = brush size
left + wheel = brush softness
right + wheel = opacity

Personally, I just use the existing default ALT + wheel as the zoom. And in case you don't know, ALT + RightClick then mouse up/down for size, left/right for hardness.
>>
File: 81Gepr-sTpL._SL1500_.jpg (145KB, 1500x1169px) Image search: [Google]
81Gepr-sTpL._SL1500_.jpg
145KB, 1500x1169px
>>1122143
>It's even better now that the 12 yearold dayz fags have left.

AMEN, brother! Those faggots seriously put me off Arma 2 for fucking years. I didn't like joining clans and pickup games were pretty much ruined because of those DayZ fags that came over form CoD.

>>1122222
>>1122083
I use a Logitech G600. It has 3 top buttons and this mess of buttons on the side. It allows 3 profiles on the fly with a button press, represented by the side buttons changing colors to what you assigned. I can use the 3rd button on the far right of the top like shift or alt for even more combinations (G-shift). It is fucking awesome for all the games and programs I use it with.

What does it not do? IT DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO REMAP THE FUCKING MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL. Thus, I am required to map a key combo to a few buttons then use the wheel like for, "ALT + RightClick then mouse up/down for size, left/right for hardness." not all programs and games are like Photoshop so it is a major pain sometimes.
>>
>>1122222
See
>>1122099
I would but I'm planning to use this with a drawing tablet, not my mouse.
>>
>>1122236
>What does it not do? IT DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO REMAP THE FUCKING MOUSE WHEEL SCROLL.
I have a G600 too. I also use Autohotkey for everything so I can write my own scripts and macros, such as remapping mouse wheel to whatever.

>>1122260
Dunno if you misunderstood me, but I meant remapping the mouse wheel and buttons on your extra mouse. The ALT+wheel for zooming I meant for your primary mouse, which wouldn't work on your tablet.
>>
>>1122267
>Dunno if you misunderstood me, but I meant remapping the mouse wheel and buttons on your extra mouse.
Ah ok, that does make sense. Still it would be a little awkward I think. The supplies I bought cost next to nothing so I'm going to give it a shot and see if it works. Most likely the point of failure will be the garbage chinese electronics going up in smoke before I can make use of them, but I'm optimistic!
>>
>>1122267
>Autohotkey

I was going to get into that, but got out of gaming for the most part and stopped.
>>
>>1121563
Yeah for instance this particular kind of input device which used to be more publicly recognized

> TRACKBALL

you can expect to pay hundreds for them, and you dont wanna buy the ones that are cheaper

same goes with

> GRAPHICS TABLET
>>
>>1122339
You can get trackballs for under $30 and large sized tablets for under $60. New and quality brands.
>>
>>1122332
I used to use it to bridge commands from verbots and i-spy to rig up machine vision responses on AI assistant experiments.

Cant code but have dreams of droid friends.
>>
>>1121557
Buy a chinese potentiometer (the electrical stuff in the volume knob or slider, costs like $10 for 10) and connect it to a USB microcontroller ($1-2, make sure it has analog input(s))
Much cheaper and better looking
>>
>>1122092
red pill me on 5V/3A iPad charging
>>
File: 148236194790.jpg (126KB, 998x665px) Image search: [Google]
148236194790.jpg
126KB, 998x665px
>>1121950
I pictured in my head, two 1x4 planks with a hinge and mice strapped with zip ties in front of them a USB microphone.
>>
>>1122638
>just plug it in haha
Anon I have no idea where to start with this. Thank you for the suggestion though.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.