[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My mom died and left me 8000 dollars. She wanted me to buy land;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: 20160528_181457.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20160528_181457.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
My mom died and left me 8000 dollars. She wanted me to buy land; I want land more than anything. How do I find the en best deals, /diy/? I live in MI, supposedly an inexpensive state. Can I expect to get an acre or 2 (or even for or five) for 8000 or less? Or am I fooling myself?

Yes I am willing to live in the back, back woods (I almost already do) in fact id prefer it. I just have no clue howtheland market even works.
>>
I live in northish Central MI and as a rule of thumb, the land gets cheaper the further north and further from the big lakes you go. There's kind-of a half shape around the center of the state and the outside that's the cheapest.
Dunno if that helps but there you go.
>>
File: 20160731_145556.jpg (800KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_145556.jpg
800KB, 1280x960px
>>1121013
Well that's good news, cause i'm in the inland UP and intend to stay here. Land should be cheap, but I rellay dont even know where to look, besides calling the numbers on the few 'for sale' signs I see driving around in the country. Theres got to be a good wayy to get a good deal.

Lets see if the rest of my pictures are upside down.
>>
>>1121015
Ooh also good to note: before you buy, find out what you can do on the land.
A buddy of my dad's bought like 12 acres and can't do basically anything with it except camp and hunt because it has an important creek through it and it's surrounded by wetlands.
>>
>>1121009
Sorry about your mum mate
>>
>>1121015

Best deals are usually sharif sails. Most places they happen once a year and are all the properties that failed to pay taxes for 3+ years.

You can also look for bank sales.

You gotta troll a few of them before you find a really good price but they do happen from time to time.
>>
>>1121009
You should just hike the PCT with that money. It would be a lifetime experience and probably worth more personally than whatever trivial amount of land you can get for 8K.

Especially in Michigan man.

If it was like 250k and you could afford the taxes it would be a diffirent story. Or... go to trade school with the money honestly.
>>
File: 20160906_194635.jpg (477KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_194635.jpg
477KB, 1280x960px
>>1121018
This is a goos point, I know peoplecan really get fucked by zoning laws, water rights, things like that. Thats in my mind, certainly. Idk much about local regs but im learning more every day. I just wanna grow some plants, lots of muchrooms, annd have a barn for general /diy/ things.
>>1121020
It sucks man. Let your parents know you love them.
>>1121022
Ive learned a bit about tax sales, but its complex legal ground. Im learning.
>>
>>1121015
Where are you? Rock here.
>>
>>1121009
>>1121015
If you live in Michigan, why do you keep posting pictures of Australia?
>>
>>1121015
>cause i'm in the inland UP and intend to stay here
definitely UP > LP

just the cost of insurance alone is enough to consider moving somewhere else
>>
>>1121009
Flyover states have the best land prices for wilderness. Where I live it is about $1,500 per acre right now. I've known people to buy up as much land as they can possibly afford then pitch a tent on it. They live in the tent until they save up enough money for a better structure. Like one guy lived in a tent then bought a storage building container, which would later be his workshop, and lived in it until he could afford to build a good house.

$8k here would buy about 4 acres with a bit left over for taxes.
>>
You can buy land on Craigslist
>>
>>1121126
I live in New York and good farmland here is about $1k/acre. This is a trick however since you'd be stuck in New York.
>>
>>1121009
Go rent a farm in Nepal 10000 goes a long way there buddy
>>
>>1121009
How about a real estate agent ? All you fuckers are stupid.
>>
>>1121372
land auction would have better deals
>>
Google 'the land geek', he's got a lot of videos on YouTube on how to invest in land correctly. You can parlay that money into a lot more if you know what you're doing.

GL
>>
>>1121009
Sorry about your mum, mate. Maybe use the money to fund your education to find your job of choice so you can later on invest in land? Just a thought. Personally, I think college is a scam, but I'm a crazy person on 4chan who hasn't got a dime to his name, so maybe that's the way to go.
>>
>>1121015

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search06/SearchRealEstate.Asp?SID=246819243&RF=N

Try this
>>
where the fuck can you purchase land for 8000 dollars?
>>
If you aren't already making decent money and don't already have twenty or thirty grand in reserve, don't piss your war reserve money away on land. Succeed at life first. Dirt will still be there. I know you don't want to hear this, but your question indicates you don't have a comprehensive plan and a solid economic path in front of you.

You can't starve your way to prosperity.
>>
>>1121009
there are these things called real estate agencies
>>
>>1121009

I don't know about Michigan, but down here in Indiana $8k won't buy you much. I suppose you could look into recently felled timber land, I know that goes fairly cheap, but I don't know about the laws regarding that land. You also will have to do a lot of clean up.

If you are looking for cheap housing I know lots of people who built a pole barn and parked a camper in it. Lived in that while they were building a real house.

Personally I would tuck that money in a savings account and keep adding to it until you can afford a nice place rather then buying the first piece of shit that you can afford.
>>
>>1121009
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2096034646_zpid/

10 acres for $5k
>>
>>1121372
Using middle-men is dicey unless you know someone in that business personally
>>
>>1121015
Use the 8k for a down payment and buy 40 acres with a cabin for like 50grand. Ive been looking at this lot

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Off-County-Road-Cu_Ishpeming_MI_49849_M38486-93875
>>
>>1122357
Oops meant this one

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/County-Road-CCF_Ishpeming_MI_49849_M42582-18244
>>
File: 1401161641168.jpg (3KB, 126x122px) Image search: [Google]
1401161641168.jpg
3KB, 126x122px
>>1121009

Real estate agent here. The MLS has land listed and is more reliable than Zilljew or Jewlia (many agents keep expired listings there to bait and switch you). Find a real estate agent. You don't pay them anything, all of their commission (going is using 3% for buyer agent) comes from the seller so you might as well use an agent.

Reminder: MLS also will tell you if the land is in a designated floodzone
>>
>land in america is this cheap....
>5 acres of land in australia is like 1 mill minimum

how hard is it for a australian to buy a summer home in your country?
>>
Don't listen to these fuckers telling you to save. You will burn 8000 dollars in less than a year renting an apartment.
>>
>>1121009
Use your money to make the turn of the world,meet people,community,just travel and enjoy the real life
>>
>>1122420
Easy. Bring money and contact a realtor.
>>
>>1122420
You can go live anywhere in the northern territories. Not like anyone is going to tell you to move on..
>>
>>1121266
yeah, NY land is cheap but the property taxes are high and if you're going to do a hobby farm then sales taxes and regulations are ridiculous. Also, good luck getting the mineral rights and even if you do it's worthless since you can't do any mining in the state.

NY land is worthless
>>
>>1121062
Kek
>>
>>1122444
to be fair, the land he can get for 8 grand wont have power, water, sewer, or possibly road access. So he'd still have to spend money on either a solid offroad vehicle/camping equipment, or still have to have an apt in order to work a job and save for building materials.

but heres some listings
http://www.landwatch.com/Ontonagon-County-Michigan-Land-for-sale/pid/320496493
this one is over your budget, but has power, water, and road.
http://www.landwatch.com/Ontonagon-County-Michigan-Land-for-sale/pid/320496493
This sound like it might be what you want. You have to walk things in, because theres no legal access to build a road, but it is next to national park. the positive is that there's probably trail access to the edge of your property, and you might be able to atv/bike and trailer a lot of stuff in. downside is likelyhood of building/water restrictions.

However, a lot of the time it is limitation on residential only, so you might be able to get away with a utility barn + "camping cabin" (although many states say you can't spend more than 30 days/year in one etc, idk abt mich). definitely going to be off grid though.
Probably useable for low key farming with weekend visits+permaculture, if you grow value dense stuff like mushrooms and pack out some. Setup right I could see you growing fresh mushrooms and hiking/biking out 100lbs every weekend and selling fresh to local restaurants @$5-10/lb. It would take a ton of work though.

>>1122362
Realtors mostly do approved housing plots and already built houses, and 99% will be out of your budget. and commission coming from seller is true for most bank owned properties, but most sellers care about how much they will leave the table with, and account for transfer costs in negotiations.

>>1122420
OzBro I got you:
http://www.australianrural.com.au/property-listing/lot-7-weitzels-rd-kogan

http://www.australianrural.com.au/property-listing/weekend-retreat
>>
>Northern MI

Enjoy your dogman problem.
>>
Michiganer here as well...

I would be you could do quite well for 8k. I have property in Lake county near a "big" lake, which makes it a very touristy place, and I can grab .25 acre lots all day long for 3-4k. I'm sure if you go somewhere less attractive/more innawoods, you'll do just fine.
>>
>>1121372
>how about giving 6% to some retard faggot that studdied 3 weeks and took a meme test in an overcrowded field full of autists.

>you are stupid.

>source:

Took the exam just for access to the mls.

Dont need a faggot agent if you are one.
Fucking get on my level
>>
>>1122420
Pretty fucking easy i would bet.

Even easier if we build cuckshacks on each other's property.

I really wanna go to australia and make bank running heavy equipment for a bit.
>>
>>1124179
Nigga i just moved into a house for 10k
>>
>>1122117
middle of the desert on the border
>>
>>1122117
>>1121009
10 ac lot for 5 grand here:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Rd-OFC-TUSKI-Bergland-MI-49910/2106520936_zpid/

But as others have said you can find land for cheaper, or better land outside of zilljew.
>>
>>1124445

I did the same thing, but the class here is 8 weeks long. A realtor would be a good source to talk to about where the best place to buy is. They'll have a good understanding of the market and get you a good deal. A decent realtor will negotiate at least 6% off the deal anyway, so they'll pay for themselves.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.