[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this really possible? Why don't people build their o

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 1480727028195.jpg (415KB, 1280x1483px) Image search: [Google]
1480727028195.jpg
415KB, 1280x1483px
Is this really possible? Why don't people build their own houses these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlEoo4mR-A8

I mean, youtube does have a lot of knowledge stored in it. What do people really have to know to build a house? The internet itself is so vast I bet anyone can do this if they had the money.
>>
>>1120938
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/13/us/mother-house-youtube-build-trnd/

> Brookins enlisted the help of a friendly firefighter who had past building experience. She would pay him $25 an hour, when she could afford it, to help her with some of the tasks.
>>
>>1120938
>Why don't people build their own houses these days?
Because you can't get a mortgage using construction materials as collateral.
And besides hiring someone (>>1120947), she also used 4 "children" for free labor.

Plus, I'd like to know where someone with zero experience can pull all the permits required.
Everywhere I've lived, you need 10 years experience as an electrician to get your master's license.
>>
>>1120948
This is what I want to know. Is it illegal to do the wiring in a home on your own or something? If you personally fund everything and do everything by yourself is there any laws there?
>>
>>1120951

Nope, it's not illegal to do any wiring in your house...she however, had she had done that, she would still have had to take out a permit, and then have the installation inspected before insulation/drywall...
>>
>>1120963
This. DIY is all fun and games until there's a test afterward.
>>
File: 1481083069525.jpg (62KB, 397x659px) Image search: [Google]
1481083069525.jpg
62KB, 397x659px
>>1120938
They don't know all the "codes" and proper steps to actually build the house. They can actually be learned relatively easily and quick but seeing as most people can't even clean their gutters they damn sure won't be building a house any time soon.

You also need to have so many years in plumbing to do plumbing, electric to do electic, hvac to do hvac, and carpentry to do carpentry. This also deals with doing each step by code.

There is many more examples as to why most people don't just build their own houses than this but these are some simpler reasons.

As a construction manager for a new construction home builder you learn how lazy people really are. Fucking most people act like the builder is their land lord or something for the first year or so of being a first time home buyer. Shit ranging from wanting us to unclog their toilets to clear ice from their walk ways.
>>
>>1120963
Alright thats fine. I just was wondering then what is typically tested? Wiring and I'm guessing plumbing? Anything else I will need an outside influence?

>>1120967
Okay. Thats been my question then. What are the building codes that people need to know? If I read 700 pages of my state's building code pdf will it be a lot of fluff usually or do I need to know a few certain things to check mark off.
>>
File: Advanced framing illo - FHB_0.jpg (1MB, 1330x1870px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced framing illo - FHB_0.jpg
1MB, 1330x1870px
>>1120968

Lookup your local Permit Office in your city or state. This will tell you which code to follow (ex 'IRC 2012'). But just following the latest building codes should get your in the ballpark.

Depending on your location - stuff like frost line depth and wind/snow loads become important.

Most departments have 'owner built' sections that limits you to $X budget, sq footage, and not being able to sell it in X years. Then you can do pretty much everything other than the main sewer/water/electrical hookup by yourself (will still need to be inspected) **without needing a contractors license**.

Beyond that, you really need to have things drawn in CAD/Revit to be able to show inspectors your ideas and to farm out bids for contracting. Using words to describe buildings is too difficult and will lead to the permit office just ignoring your or erring on the side of 'no'.

Lastly, the US Dept of Energy has some really great links on how to build wall assemblies that don't suck. Same with various wood product lobbyist like the 'american wood council': which provide more easier to read charts: http://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standards/publications/wfcm/AWC-WFCM2015-ViewOnly-1510.pdf
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.