[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Insulation question.. Since spring last year I moved to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 89_photo.jpg (36KB, 309x412px) Image search: [Google]
89_photo.jpg
36KB, 309x412px
Insulation question..

Since spring last year I moved to the top floor of a 20 story apartment building. It's an old building with crappy insulation and an 50 y/o heating system. This winter is though as temperatures in my living room are about 60-65F (16-17C). Anywhere in my house else it get's about 50F (10C).

I've always learned that the top floor in the winter is hot because of heat rising up. So I'm considering adding additional insulation to the roof.

Will this work sufficiently to make it a bit warmer in my house? Anyone here living on the top level in an high rise as well? What are your experiences in the winter? Is it hot or cold?
>>
>>1120752
Nigger rig it with styrofoam plates.
Cheap as fuck but also a fire hazard, so beware.
>>
>>1120752
Since you can't open the ceiling and add insolation up there, you can't exactly hang it all that well.
Tips I do have. Bleed your radiators and bitch to your landload every. Single. Day. That it is cold because they'll fix it just to shut you up; worked for me
Second is to make sure your window close tight and you could put the clear plastic on them to insulate since you lose a lot of heat to windows.
Third, run an extention cord from a public (building) socket to under your door to power an electric heater.
If you have a gas oven which you don't pay for gas, when you get home turn the oven on for 3-4 hours the. Leave the door open when your done. Since you're not leaving it on 24 hours you're not going to sufficate yourself
Also, electric blanket works wonders at night, that's what I do as well
>>
>>1120752
You should buy an ir thermometer and measure all walls and ceiling. This will tell you where to add insulation first. Insulate your ceiling the way they insulate house roofs - make a construction covered with drywall with mineral wool inside. Pick the coldest wall and do the same. Or do it with all of them if you have the money for materials. Do not forget water vapout isolation to prevent mold.

Also, if you pay any kind of renovation costs then go to administration meetings and push to have the building insulated from outside.
>>
You said apartment so I assume you rent.

First off, don't modify the unit, it's not yours. You do not have the right to do so.

Second, your landlord has to provide heat to a certain temp for the unit. It's usually like 62F+.

If they are not meeting that requirement, skip notifying them and go right to to local authority who oversees rentals.

The boiler in your building is likely in the basement, which means that you are the most expensive unit to heat. I've seen apartments opt to put in electric heating before doing a boiler replacement.
>>
>>1121289
I live in East Europe where this laws don't exist.
>>
>>1120752
>apartment building
>house

pick one
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.