[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm hoping to learn how to make my own clothes as a hobby.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: AnarchyBall_anprim_cave_drawing.png (112KB, 410x385px) Image search: [Google]
AnarchyBall_anprim_cave_drawing.png
112KB, 410x385px
I'm hoping to learn how to make my own clothes as a hobby.

Is this cost effective? Or will it be a huge money sink?
>>
you can get completed clothes for less than the price of the cloth needed to make them. if you want cheap, try modifying thrift store clothes.
>>
It's very cost effective. You can get a lot of fabrics for 2-5 bucks a yard at stores like Joann. So easily 10 bucks or less per simple garment. They have sales on everything on rotation and I get a weekly 50% off coupon.

The expensive part might be your sewing machine and serger but I got mine for free from relatives and Craigslist.

it's not easy but you can save a ton of money
>>
but yeah goodwill clothes are dirt ass cheap so you're only saving compared to buying new clothes
>>
>>1120613
As long as there are bangladeshi kids, it will be a money sink.
>>
>>1120613
>Or will it be a huge money sink?

You will never outrun the costs of cheap labor and materials
This applies to higher end materials too
I can buy a pair of premade raw denim jeans with cone mills denim cheaper than it would be to simply buy Cone Mills denim.

>>1120638
Goodwill has fucking trash prices nowadays. The place is a ripoff
>>
longtime screen printer here
look up some diy screen press videos, get some plastisol, order some hoodies online and sell em for $40ea
it works but takes time to accumulate buyers, without paying for advertising
>>
>>1121470
>Goodwill has fucking trash prices nowadays. The place is a ripoff
They're organized into regions. His areas goodwills may not be as jewy as your regions goodwills.
>>
>>1120613
It's cost-effective if you extract value out of it beyond simply trying to save money on clothes.

Making people handmade clothing is usually more appreciated than even buying expensive shit, and selling handmade clothing lets you jack up the prices. If you're in an area with a lot of hipsters you can also "upcycle" trashed garments and bits of cloth to do it even more.

One of the easiest things to do is to buy those huge 10-25lb bags of basmati or jasmine rice, the ones with the handles on the bag (never seen other varieties with them), store the rice in foodsafe buckets and then sew a zipper and liner on. Seen them going for 25$+ on ebay. Makes your rice basically free.

Plus like >>1120637
said, it's a relatively inexpensive hobby to start up since the materials are super common.
>>
Theres a dude on youtube who tries to make things from scratch and one series was dedicated to making a suit. It may be satisfying to make yr own stuff from scratch, but its a shitload of work. Ehh, sewing is a lot of fun so maybe you wont care.
Here's the series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJDEUfgLOi8&list=PLLXfVEsLI-qTsKAzCF-GzUn9eoivD8eZL
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.