[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I lift a sagging power line going into my home with a dry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (341KB, 1936x1936px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
341KB, 1936x1936px
Can I lift a sagging power line going into my home with a dry 2×4 plank of wood without getting killed?

Wood is not a conductor but a lot for forums have people stating that power lines can surpass the wood resistance since the cables are not insulated.
>>
Pay a junkie to do it
>>
Lol, don't. Wood is never fully dry unless it's out of the oven, the water content could be enough to shock you, you don't want to take risks with high voltage and high current.
Use a PVC tube or something like that instead if it's completely necessary.
If the line is sagging dangerously, ask the power company or somebody else to fix it.
>>
>>1120581
No. It's not touching the line you're really worried about. It actually creates a potential difference near the line through the ground so simply standing too close can shock you. A severed power line is basically just a really really big capacitor just desperate to discharge.
>>
>>1120602

I may give pvc a try. That sounds reasonable.

The Utility pole broke (it's leaning on a fence) and the power company stated that it was up to me to put in a new pole.

The old pole has slack, and just in case that I need to maneuver around it (limited space) I need a way to safely handle it.

Making a hole 4 feet deep is no issue. Putting a new 20 foot pole seems easy enough, but just as a precaution, I need a way to handle the power line.
>>
>>1120618
I think they maybe mean, you put in new pole , they come and rewire it, and then you remove the old pole. Because otherwise, and not even then does any of this sound like a particularly great idea, IMO. Phone them back, and ask them to confirm, very slowly and carefully, that your sposed to be juggling live ZOMG MEGAVOLTS INSTANT FRYD cables around. srsly..
>>
>>1120618
>I may give pvc a try. That sounds reasonable.
No, it doesn't.
/diy/ and kilo-volts just don't mix.
>>
Just make sure you record it. It's not often you see this much planning put into "accidentally" killing yourself. And the blacking out your neighborhood in the process will be a bonus on the blooper reel.
>>
>>1120581
In what shit fuck country do you live that the power company will install service lines onto a service pole installed by any halfwit retard?
>>
>>1120581
>Can I lift a sagging power line going into my home with a dry 2×4 plank of wood without getting killed?

Depends on where you live but that's secret or you'd post it.

In the US the wire going to the home is single phase and not high voltage. The power co. techs who disconnected and reconnected mine (several times over the past few decades due to storm damage at different locations) don't even shut off power, they just cut and taped the insulated lines. I've lifted those with a 2x4 etc to clear dump trucks and my shipping container delivery. Not a problem.

Setting a new pole IS a problem because you can't just dig a random hole and expect it to stay upright, hence power co. use of powered post hole diggers. Ya might need to sub that job out. I have overkill /diy/ gear of all kinds and I'd still have someone with pole setting gear on a truck do that job. While at it you might wanna add a security light since you will get a new pole. Handy shit.
>>
>>1120690
>dump trucks and my shipping container delivery

Did you put your shipping container in a natural gully and then dump dirt on top of it?

Did the walls of the shipping container collapse? I don't think there is a risk of that, the weight of the dirt comes from gravity, which acts towards the center of the earth. Take pics so we can prove the nay-sayers wrong.
>>
>>1120694
Negative. I post to shred the buryfags and explain how to properly use ISO containers.

I already have three (two joined as a shop) and treated myself to a nice "one trip" 40-foot High Cube with doors on both ends. It was even made in Denmark. It will be a drive-through motorcycle garage when I finish winching it in place, but it rained yesterday so I have to wait. Pics will follow after placement. Pic related is the wonderful Simplex jack. You want one. I scored this for eighty bux at auction which beats over a grand new. I use it to lift containers for placement of pipe rollers, wood blocks, or beams depending on where I'm placing the container.
>>
File: Simplex Jack.jpg (721KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
Simplex Jack.jpg
721KB, 2064x1161px
>>1120700
Fuck
>>
>>1120618
Just give them another call to confirm just be be safe
>>
>>1120581

Just pay someone if you have no idea what you're doing. Some things can be safely done yourself, this can't.
>>
>>1120581
Are this the wires going directly to your house, so 230V/110V? If so, you would be fine, just tickles a bit. PVC is better though. But make REALLY sure it is only 230/110. Otherwise you'll nominate yourself for a Darwin award.

Source: I'm writing my thesis at an energy distribution company
>>
>>1120581
Sure do this a couple of times a week.
I deliver roofing materials, big flatbed straight deck truck with a boom conveyor belt on the back.
1/4 of my deliveries have power lines too low to either back the truck in or swing the boom around.
Tell the Mexican roofers, point out the problem, they either use a 2x4 or a broom to lift the wire(s) out of the way.
Works just fine, I have never had a problem.
Same with residential driveways, always pull up to the curb, find the foreman, "Where do you want it? On the roof? OK, but I need to back into the driveway, is that OK?, Great sign here." As soon as they sign I am off the hook if the driveway cracks.
Always have my front and rear dashcams running, take pictures before and after a delivery too.
Manager wants sales and deliveries, does not care about how the delivery gets done, it just better not come back, salesmen lie everyday about access, jobsite conditions, they even substitute materials without notifying the customer.
Make the sale, make the sale.
Hey boss
What
Powerlines in the way
Lift them up, get the job done, got another load waiting, move your ass, you fuck up
Sure thing boss.
>>
OP you're gonna get yourself killed. Call the power company.
>>
>>1120581

Lift it up and do what with it, exactly?
>>
>>1120769
>I do this all the time
>well, actually, I get Mexican Roofers to do it.
The problem being, OP's waving a (presumably..) large and heavy pole about the same time, the space in which to do this sounds constricted, and his live feed is currently attached to a broken pole leaning onna fence.

And if all that sounds problemless to you, well hell, you and the Power Co. both, apparently. You'd need a photo to judge, mainly to see how near this shit is to the main power lines (assuming this line is just house feed) and the angles mean the pole clears these if it tips.. But from the sounds of it till now, I wouldnt be in a hurry to touch this job with a pole, personally.
>>
>>1120581
no

Have the local power co. do it (if they cover that) or hire a sparky and have it properly done.

The tools used are fiberglass.
>>
>>1120618
>The Utility pole broke

It's probably the service pole (with your meter). Because no utility is going to require a customer to repair/replace any part of their infrastructure.

Just dig a hole and set a new pole. Also, install an anchor guy behind it, so the service line tension won't pull it over. Have electrician install or relocate the meter base and other equipment from old pole to new one, get it inspected and have power company reconnect service.
>>
>>1120581
every line going from pole to home i've seen has been insulated are you sure yours isn't?
>>
>>1120602
>PVC
no you'll still die. PVC may be a very shitty conductor but it can still conduct electricity and with the amount going through most power lines you WILL get fucked up

NEVER fuck with power lines. they aren't some shitty little 115v plug in your house. they can and will easily kill you. leave shit like that to the pros
>>
>>1120759
People die from being electrocuted by 240V all the time. Writing your thesis at an energy distribution company obviously didn't help provide any common sense. Yes it's less dangerous than 10KV, no it isn't harmless.
>>
>>1120886
We just had a storm this summer that knocked over a neighbors tree and took out the pole along our (very long) driveway. Nipsco (power company) said it was a "custom pole" and we had to pay someone to fix it because it wasn't their responsibility. It took us 3 weeks to get our power back on. A similar thing is probably happening to OP.
>>
>>1120581
Call the power company u dumb shit. That line belongs to them they will fix it .
>>
>>1120581
Call the power company you moron. You clearly should not attempt anything if you're asking people on /diy/

Also, does anyone know the amperage on these things?

It's not the volts that kills you...
>>
>>1120581
How do you still have power and internet?
In any call up the electric company, the local government, or the fire department to fix that shit.

Whatever object you use to touch a live extreme high voltage wire will result in death. Even standing whitin 3 meters of a high capacity powerline could potentially roast your body in a couple of seconds unless you are wearing some kind of specialized suit made out of rubber.
>>
>>1121035
>its not the volts that kill you
Stop repeating this meme

The amps in the wires is not important, because the resistance of the body is higher then the resistance of the wires, thus the amps will be different too.

Still, fucking with powerlines is potentially lethal and very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDf2nhfxVzg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xONZcBJh5A
>>
>>1121044
Thank you for the videos, very useful for me right now.
>>
>>1120581
Call the fucking power company you idiot.
>>
>>1120581
yeah you're good
>>
>>1121044
it takes very little to fuck up your heart. hell as unlikely as it'd be even just static from walking on a carpet or something could kill you
>>
>>1121026
Faggot ass company
>>
>>1121026
>"custom pole"

"Customer pole"?
>>
File: ESA dont work live.jpg (50KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
ESA dont work live.jpg
50KB, 317x475px
>>1120690
You can only work live for so long before the techs either kill themselves or someone else. Here in Canada if you were caught working live you would be fired instantly and blacklisted from that region.

Just because it isn't 'High Voltage" doesn't mean it's not dangerous. It only takes 100mA to kill you.
>>
>>1121892
>Here in Canada if you were caught working live

In my neighborhood (near Seattle) the power co. is stringing new conductors for an existing 12 kV line. So far, they have spread the existing conductors onto temporary crossarms, installed pulleys and pulling line and are getting ready to pull in the new conductor. They have been working on this for the past couple of weeks and it's all done live. They have a few more weeks to go.

I'm having a difficult time believing that Canadian customers will put up with a month long outage in the middle of winter because they can't find linemen qualified to work systems hot.
>>
>>1120581
Use a kite with a key, worked for Benny Franklin.
>>
>>1121006
These lines are insulated, it would be like poking an extension cord with a stick...
>>
If OP is still in here, post a pic of the lines OP! Preferable at the site of the pole.
>>
Got to use glass.
>>
use your hands pussy
>>
>>1120581
Probably depends on the type of line.

I've seen/touched a pair of 2x6's nailed together to temporarily keep a power line out of the way, but it was the one going right to the house.
>>
go hack down a few more poles until the power company comes and fixes them
>>
>>1120602
This. Pvc tube is safe unless you broke cable and it fall on your head.. Electrician here.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.