[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I fix this permanently without replacing the handle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4011.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4011.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
How do I fix this permanently without replacing the handle?

I shoved as much 2 ton epoxy into the crack as I could but I doubt it will hold for long.
>>
>>1120382
if you hadn't done the epoxy you could have taken it off and used wood glue which is stronger than the wood itself
>>
>>1120382
Take it off. Spread it open a little more. Use "Titebond III" in the crack. Clamp it shut until dried.

>asking what to do AFTER you've done something

Hopefully, you haven't epoxied it permanently to the metal.
>>
>>1120392
I really wouldn't have been able to take it off without fucking shit up..

The end is held on by peening the tang over the end cap. The only way of getting the wood off is either by heating the end until its red hot (and burning all the wood around it it) then prying the cap off, or by chiseling off the handles completely.
>>
>>1120405
So you totally couldnt have ground off the peened bit and just taken the handle off that way. Oh wait. Thats exactly how you do that. And then you just peen it back on.
>>
>>1120382
>>1120405
also, add oil to that shit, the reason it cracked is because it dried out too much and shrank
>>
I would have opened the crack a bit, used wood glue, then wrapped it in that black tape thats used on baseball bats. I do that to a lot of my tools when the handles start to wear or crack.
>>
>>1120480
Dont add oil now. It will pop the epoxy off.
>>
Get the epoxy out, glue it. Once it's dried, use a small hammer to tamp the edge of the peen-side of the wood down all around the whole perimeter and fit a tight iron ring around it. Saturate the wood over a few hours then check to make sure the ring is locked on.

What you're doing is compressing the wood fibers and then letting them expand to hold the ring in place. The ring keeps it from splitting. It's what's done on jap chisels.
>>
drill a hole perpendicular to the crack and through the crack. get a dowel that is slightly smaller than the whole wrap it in a fiber glass tape, coat in expoy, hammer it in the whole.

clamp that shit down tight for 24 hours.
>>
Superglue + wood dust. Mix then apply in the crack. Let it dry, sand
>>
>>1120382
Wrap with fiberglass, then coat with Plastidip.
>>
remove epoxy as best you can, razor blade and snapped off coping saw blade should be good for that, fill crack with good wood glue, like tightbond, clamp it shut and leave over night.
>>
personnally on my tool I surround them with tissue and put a epoxy resin on the tissue.
That's work for hammer and heavy hammer.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.