/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anywhere to practically learn how to forge, drill, bore,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: 5-Barrels.jpg (36KB, 288x235px) Image search: [Google]
5-Barrels.jpg
36KB, 288x235px
Is there anywhere to practically learn how to forge, drill, bore, and ream, what we can call for now very precise, small and unusually thick pipes made of hard metal with a small diameter? I'm interested in making such pipes that could be capable of passing precise objects through smoothly.
>>
>>1120023
You mean like a gun barrel?

The best ones are forged, not drilled.
>>
>>1120026
Actually yeah I did have forging in mind, that would be my preferred method. But as you can see I have no idea how to do this and simply reading books can only get me so far, eventually I need hands on experience. I don't know where to start, in the 21st century you can't exactly walk down the road to the local blacksmith.
>>
>>1120037
Have you considered walking down the road to the local gunsmith?
>>
File: boringmachine4web[1].jpg (467KB, 720x646px) Image search: [Google]
boringmachine4web[1].jpg
467KB, 720x646px
>>1120023
Looks like you're going to have to team up with a carpenter at some point, if you're going full colonial. Barrel reams are specialized.
>>
>>1120026
Actually, button pressed drilled barrels are more accurate they just have a shorter life span.
>>
>>1120026
I'm a total noob in this matter so...
How the hell do you forge a gun barrel?
>>
>>1120125
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yu1gIVT4hA
>>
>>1120026
Define "best," and you're still probably wrong.

>>1120046
Local gunsmith might have a rough idea how barrels are made, but the little things? He won't know that. Otherwise he'd be making them himself.
>>
Why would you not just buy the barell in the caliber you want?
>>
>>1120196
cue the
>buyfag,this is /diy/ jerkoff

because judging from that video, forging a barrel looks fucking awful

and then to drill bore ream it, with the proper shit...precisely no less
>>
>>1120211
>forging a barrel looks fucking awful

Which is why you don't forge them unless you have a customer that insists on it and is willing to pay for that service. Assuming OP's pic is related, he should be buying 12L14 and machining it. That's for black powder. For smokeless it's a whole different ballgame.
>>
>>1120196
Because the weapons i want to make are not in production. Also, I simply want to have gunsmithing skills myself, otherwise I would just buy the barrel. Actually learning how to make guns is my objective here, not simply making a specific model in the easiest manner.
>>
>>1120244
Okay OP, what firearms are you wanting to build?
>>
>>1120258
I want to make historically accurate flintlock guns.
>for what purpose
So I can learn how to make gun barrels, and other weapon parts, and because I'm interested in these types of guns as a historical piece. Also, it would make me feel more comfortable to know more about the weapons I use. Ideally I want to be able to build a gun entirely from scratch with the most basic tools possible. I assume that this would be forging. I understand this is not practical considering the industrial economy we have, but I think people should have the knowledge of how to create and maintain technology, not just buy it.
>>
Of interest for this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c
>colonial gunsmith
No idea if it helps OP, but it's a good watch either way.
>>
>>1120264
Good for you, seriously. You may want to do some reading first, it could make your life a lot easier. The old time gunsmiths were a lot like us: lazy, pragmatic, trying to make a buck as fast as they could. If they could buy the parts they would, especially the labor intensive one like barrels and locks. It was actually rare for a smith to do it all like you're talking about.

I would urge you to build a rifle or two from scratch using bought parts first. It'll still take you over 100 hours, but you'll find out if it's really your cup of tea before you go and spend 400 hours on forging a barrel. Should I mention the danger level of forging your own barrel?
>>
>>1120023

No. It's a retardedly specific process which requires investment in very special equipment which isn't worth buying because you can just buy finished barrels at very reasonable prices.
>>
File: hammering-2.jpg (9KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
hammering-2.jpg
9KB, 400x309px
>>1120125
The modern (commerical) way works in two ways

Either a small anvil is on a central shaft that an oversized barrel slides over and gets pounded into shape. the mandrel slowly rotates giving it rifling. this method is called cold forged hammering, its common in Europe. Either the Germans or Austrians invented it

The other way is an undersized barrel is reamed out with another mandrel (called a button) which stretches it into its final shape with rifling. This was invented in America and is most common.
>>
>>1120037
Forgewelding a barrel only requires a top and bottom fuller. If I wanted to I could make one in an afternoon. Boring one out by hand takes far longer than the actual forgework.
>>
>>1120266
Thanks, that is pretty relevant to my interests
>>1120282
If you read my posts, you'd see my interest is in the process itself, not just having a completed barrel.
>>
>>1120364
Meant to say "top and bottom swage"
>>
>>1120026
Forged blanks that are drilled out.
>>
>>1120196
Not OP, but some nations consider the barrel the restricted part and can't be bought without dealing with the legal issues of buyin ga complete gun. Or he could be replacing a barrel made for a gun without any kind of factory support like old military surplus or other old guns.
>>
>>1120418
>the barrel
fullretard.avi
The barrel is a wear item, so isn't considered the firearm part. Almost universally, it's the receiver that's considered the firearm.
>>
>>1120609
By trying to sound smart, you just showed us all how uneducated you are. Yes, in the US, the receiver is the regulated part, but like the poster above you said, there are countries where it's the barrel that's controlled.
>>
>>1120023
Why are you not in an appropriate forum? Like /k/ for starters and then REAL "custom pipe" forums?

/diy/ cannot address your question is proper detail. You knew this yet you posted here. Why?

You picked one of the most exhaustively covered subjects on the internet and went to the wrong place.

Google "gunsmith forums" and the first page of hits contains some good home machinist and gunsmith resources, but they go on and on. C'mon mang, you can do better than asking in an ephemeral thread.
>>
>>1120264
My father in law was a master craftsman who both repaired antique flint locks and built them from scratch.

I dont think he ever made his own barrel. He bought them because the amount of time required and the tooling that would be needed.

You will need to invest heavily in the proper tools to make barrels.
>>
>>1120682
Well why don't you post a source then, smarty pants. The onus is on you, since you made the original claim.
>>
>>1120128
>Dave Hammer
>Blacksmith

That's a nice nice anvil.
>>
>>1120762
you first. You have to prove the OP is wrong.

Its kinda hard to access the laws of other nations on what is considered the "gun"

You can see here
http://dwsuk.org/Deactivated-Weapons-FAQ
That great effort is exended to demil the barrel, and nothing is done to the receiver except being welded to the barrel to further deactivate the barrel.
>>
File: 1432273276850.jpg (309KB, 1783x3096px) Image search: [Google]
1432273276850.jpg
309KB, 1783x3096px
>>1120687
>I speak for all of /diy/ when I say NONE OF US KNOW SHIT ABOUT GUNS
Wow, fuccboi, your liberal is showing.
>>
>>1120796
This; I just spent 30 minutes looking for info, it's hard without googling individual countries laws, which could takes hours.
>>
>>1120799
>Wow, fuccboi, your liberal is showing.

No, I'm not liberal, but you know and I know this thread is no substitute for serious sources of detailed info and you cannot turn it into one because of how 4chan works. Stop being obtuse.

This isn't even /k/, let alone a real firearms forum.

There's a fuckhueg torrent on /t/ of weapons books OP might find useful, but he'd still have to wade through them.
>>
>>1120023
here's an awesome video for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c
>>
>>1120264
These kinds of rifles, OP?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170128-061947.png (2MB, 1080x1396px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170128-061947.png
2MB, 1080x1396px
>>1122485
Forgot pic.
>>
>>1120023
Go to the largest antique flea-market you have in your region and walk the rows. I guarantee you there's at least one old guy selling his grampa's old smithing tools with a story to tell, and if you buy up his stock so he doesnt have to load it back into his truck, you can probably talk him into giving you lessons or letting you tour his shop.
>>
Forget it, you won't be able to do it to any decent degree. It's one of those things that you just won't achieve without considerable time, space, investment, and whatever else.

Especially not if you want them to fire accurately and safely.
>>
>>1120023
I was interested in doing the same thing a few months ago (well, still am interested but money's tight). One of the foxfire books has a huge section on making flintlock rifles. Other than that the best info I've found has been on metalworking forums. Generally though, people buy the barrel and spend most of their time making the lock. You can also get kits in varying stages of completion, from "just stain the stock" to "heres a rough cast of all the parts you provide the wood." I will probably start with a kit and then, once I have the knowledge from working with the actual parts, build my own from scratch.
>>
>>32814284
On the subject of firearms related technologies.

I'm trying to deep draw my own 45-70 cases, however I don't entirely understand how deep drawing and specifically ironing works.

I have access to high precision CNC equipment and manual equipment. Does anyone here have any models or diagrams or drafts etc, of deep drawing equipment.

Also any math would be appreciated. I'm trying to draw brass from sheet to tube of 2.25 inches (margin of error and all that, actually only need 2.105) and the rim to the inside is about. 22-. 25 deep.
>>
>>1123061
You don't need a CNC machine anon. You need a punch press and the right dies and the right setup, because it takes at least a couple of annealings between operations to get brass that isn't too hard when you're done. It's pretty much out of the scope of the diyer, unless it's a case that isn't on the market and you just HAVE to have it. Even then it's way easier to just rechamber.
>>
>>1123069
I already accounted for the annealing. I've got access to a lot of industry, we even have a heat treating oven.

All I need is the math, because I can make pretty much anything. And the specifics of the process. Specifically the beginning. I need to know the dimensions of the brass cups, and how they're made so thick from sheets.
>>
>>1120023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPFjuxBjPo

It's hard to do rifling well.
>>
>>1120266
>TFW I got to watch this in high school

Doubt it would fly nowadays because of muh gunz
>>
>>1120026

Pretty obvious you don't know shit about guns.
>>
>>1120023
can you handle it?

http://imgur.com/a/diHx7
>>
>>1120078
there are plans for building boring and rifling machines online. Powered and manual.
>>
>>1120266
that's a good one.
saw this some years ago. ended up watching the whole thing again, thanks.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.