[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electricfags and radiofags, I have some experience with electronics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Electricfags and radiofags,

I have some experience with electronics and radios, and was thinking about the possibility of a portable CB radio. I know they make handheld ones, but I happen to have a spare CB radio for car mounting that I would like to use.

Would it work if I hooked it up to a car battery? Would it be practical? Would it work? Would the battery last long enough (and if it died, would it be feasable to just charge it with jumper cables?)

I do a lot of offroading and camping and some of my friends don't have CB's, so I'd like to give them a way to communicate with the rest of us, as well as be able to communicate while dismounted.

Pic related.
>>
>>1119948
Wow anon, you actually sound legit.

The answer to your question is yes, you can hook it up like that. The other thing is that you don't need a whole car battery. A smaller battery will still last a long time.

Here's what you do. Go get 2 lantern batteries (6V with the springs on top). Hook the positive from one battery to the negative of the other. Now, with the two springs left over, hook the + up to the CB + terminal. Hook the - up to the - terminal on the CB. Done!

When you hook the batteries up like that, two 6V lantern batteries become one 12V battery, just like in your car. Those lantern batteries will last a long time too. Probably several days of the radio being on. Godspeed anon!
>>
>>1119950
Thank you for the constructive reply! I wasn't expecting that at all.

If I wire two lantern batteries in sequence (?) Like that, is there a certain gauge wire I should use?

And are they rechargeable? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I really like that idea. I think lantern batteries are a lot less expensive than a car battery, too. Again, thank you!
>>
That pic looks more like a motorcycle battery, which would be easier to carry than a car battery. I think they are also 12V.
>>
>>1119948
Car batteries are fucking heavy pieces of shit, maybe something like the 12v Lith-ion packs in portable power tools might be a bit easier. Most CB's tend to draw about 10-15W or so, another option is a smaller sized power brick kind of unit-
ie:
http://www.powerstream.com/LLLF-12v.htm

Those are only about 2-3kg from memory and will have plenty of power for a CB and you can use it to charge other devices
>>
>>1119952
No problem.

Lantern batteries aren't rechargeable, so you have to go pay $20 to power the radio for like a week. Maybe 2 weeks. If the back of the CB says how many "mA" it needs, lantern batteries will provide about 100 mA for 100 hours, easy.

If it has to be rechargeable, you can go get 10 big rechargeable D cells (one D cell is about 1.3 volts. 10 of them in series is about 13V). The batteries and charger are easy to find. You need a battery holder to hold 10 cells though. Either radio shack or Google has it. The other choice for rechargeable is to go get 2 motorcycle batteries and a charger. Motorcycle batteries are 6V, so you need 2 of them to make 12V. They are way smaller than a car battery, but you need a 6V charger instead of the 12V charger for your car. If you can find "deep cycle" or "marine" 6V (or 12V) cells, that is the best for recharging.

Worst case scenario, you can still use a big 12V cat battery. I'm just sayin, 2 lantern batteries are going to last a long time. It may be worth it to just pay the money for how long it works.
>>
>>1119958
>>1119956
Ok, let's say 12W. Then, at 12V, that would be a current consumption of 1A. In that case, lantern batteries would only last about 10 hours. Of course, I'm sure it's not a constant draw of 1 amp, so naybe they last 20 hours or 30 hours, but still, less than I was thinking.

OP, you may need to get a big motorcycle or car battery. Try the lantern batteries once and see how long they last though.
>>
>>1119963
Even if he's stuck with a 6V battery, there's plenty of DC/DC converters out there which can step it up to 12V for not huge money
>>
>>1119948
If weught isnt a problem get gel or sla battery from amazon. A car battery is built for starting power and wont last long. Also be hot as fuck. Get a little magnet too mount cb antena for the car and portable. Watch the trees tho. And run a 12v cigarette lighter to the car to keep it charged. Good luck@
>>
Are you willing to deal with somewhat finnicky charging? If so, you can get lithium packs and run your radio off of them with some minor modifications.
>>
Presuming this is 27mhz CB your biggest issue will be an effective antenna. If you are prepared to hang something from a tree ok but mounting it on a back pack will be hard to provide a decent practical antenna system.

>>1119967
If you use these put them in a shielded box with feed through capacitors to keep the RF hash from radiating.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.