[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've inherited this laptop motherboard from a mate and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170121_125643.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170121_125643.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
So I've inherited this laptop motherboard from a mate and an planning to use it for myself as a low powered pc /htpc/emulation/internet browser. I've got everything sorted out, my only question is, will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help reduce the temperatures at all?

I have a 2 or 3 chipset drivers from dead motherboards I can use.

I'd try it out without bothering to ask usually, but this is something that I'm worried might be permanent once soldered on.
>>
File: IMG_20170122_123039_EDIT_1.jpg (285KB, 1523x1301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170122_123039_EDIT_1.jpg
285KB, 1523x1301px
>>1119201
Chipset heatsinks*
Like pic related
>>
You are a retard.

Secondly, when you solder that, it's going to run off and fuck up the board.

Just get a cooling pad for it. If I were you I would just toss it in my old parts pile. I'm sure your friend got rid of it because it's garbage.

You could install MAME on it and hook it up to your t.v. but otherwise it's useless.

As far as thermal dynamics of passive cooling on heatpipes, I expect the effect to be negligible if it has an effect at all. Might as well drop it into mineral oil inside a fish tank.
>>
File: VX1ag4q[1].jpg (460KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
VX1ag4q[1].jpg
460KB, 1920x1280px
>>1119201
you need a NOCTUA GAYMER FAN, or better three. AMZ sometimes sells fans in the wrong color for COOL GAYMING; if so, just return it, theyre good like that.

>I'm worried might be permanent once soldered
nope.jpg - have no worries over the permanency, this 'solder directly to heatpipe' approach will definitely allow scope for design revision afterwards.

Meanwhile irl, take off the cooler thats already on processor, new heatpaste, put it back, 50% thermal improvement.
>>
>>50% thermal improvement

and 50% chance of destroying the computer if the thermal paste has morphed into a strong glue, causing some CPU solder joints to give way when you try to pull off the heatsink. a glued heatsink can be removed if you have the right tools and techniques, but not by a noob. if it doesnt wanna come off, leave it alone.
>>
>>1119201
Don't thing this would work OP. The pipes carry a gas/liquid which gets heated and travels towards the fan area, this is where it gets cooled and then condenses to a liquid, starting the process again. Sticking a heatsink on the line will make this cycle less efficient
>>
>>1119217
Why would he do it while it's still on the board?

How can he use a cooler pad when the motherboard isn't inside the laptop?
>>
>>1119201
>will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help reduce the temperatures at all
Probably not, not if your still using the fan.

>will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help the performance at all
No

>will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help it look cool at all
No

>will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help reduce the power usage at all
No

>will soldering heatsinks to the heatpipes help anything at all
No

>low powered pc /htpc/emulation/internet browser
RaspberryPi?
>>
>>1119201
Why would you do that instead of taking an old pc heatsink and using some thermal adhesive?

You are just going to make the heat pipes explode if you try to solder anything to them
>>
>>1119201
Adding more metal to the heatsink would increase the metal surface to air contact so it'll cool better plus more metal means more heat absorbed so lower temps
>>
You're entirely forgetting that you can't solder aluminium.

The best thing you can do is to just not have the thing in a case.
>>
>>1119358
>can't solder aluminum
Superglue.
>>
Heat pipes are designed to carry heat away very effectively. Even if soldering to it made sense, it would be next to impossible
>>
>>1119438
Won't conduct heat efficiently. Don't do that.
>>
>>1120287
Don't be silly it'll be glued directly onto the heatsink for maximum conductivity
>>
>>1119201
Build a Case with a box fan on top and under the motherboard. Problem solved. Also, you can control the fan speed.
>>
>>1119217
cooling pad is worse than thermal paste
>>
it was engineered as is not to overheat. you don't need more shit on a laptop board
>>
File: vRNDtmk[1].jpg (44KB, 780x440px) Image search: [Google]
vRNDtmk[1].jpg
44KB, 780x440px
>>1120580
Think hes meaning more pic related, rather than 'thermal pad instead of thermal paste' kind of thing.
>>
>>1120745
How would that work on a laptop without a chassis?
>>
>>1120802

Maybe zip tie the thing to the pad itself?
>>
>>1120802
idk, werent my idea.. but that fan setup (as existing) aint really gonna work floating in mid air either, wont be circulating air where it should.
>>
>>1120804
Isn't that just one massive short circuit?

>>1120805
Yeah. I do like >>1120436 though.
>>
>>1119201
>htpc/emulation/internet browser
>help reduce the temperatures at all?
Just leave it alone
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.