[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time using /diy/ here I need some help finding a place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: s-l1000.jpg (76KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
76KB, 700x525px
First time using /diy/ here

I need some help finding a place that sells aluminum with the fallowing specification

Thickness of 2.5" to 3"

Length 2ft-3ft

Width 2ft-3ft

Thanks
>>
That's some thick aluminum.

I'm no expert but I bet only people that produce structural aluminum will have it. Like, aluminum meant to be welded into I beams for construction.

Sounds like its gonna be hard to find
>>
Never heard of any kind of plate aluminum that big. Sounds like a special order and big money.
>>
it'd help if you said why it needs to be those dimensions.

what are you doing with it?
>>
>>1119083
How would knowledge about his intention magically make ultra thick slabs of aluminum form?
>>
>>1119032
You wont find it for sale.

A block that large would have to be custom cast.

The largest easy to find extruded shapes for alu are 3" thick by 6" wide and as long as you want. They cost $90/12" in 6160.

You could contact a mini foundry and have them cast your shape for an insane amount. Or but sections of extruded and weld them togther.
>>
>>1119089
Because he probably doesnt need what he thinks he needs
>>
>>1119144
This.
/thread

If OP even responds. ..
>>
>>1119032
>Thickness of 3"
>Length 3ft
>Width 3ft
weight = ~380 pounds
>>
>>1119143
Even if he could magically do the casting himself thats 150 lbs of aluminum AND he would probably have to re-heat treat that bitch for almost any application.
Kill me please.
>>
>>1119147
LMC is 141lbs and MMC is 380lbs.
What the fuck are these dimensions OP.
>>
OP is building a 747
>>
>>1119143
>3" thick by 6" wide cost $90/12"

3" thick by 12" wide x 12" = $180
3" thick by 36" wide x 36" = $1620
>>
>>1119163
>$1620

OP should just buy 1/3 ton of imitation crab meat and be done with it.
>>
>>1119165
OP here, didn't even think of that. Now I dont have to buy this large block of aluminium to drop on imitation crabs for the meat.

Thanks /diy/
>>
I'm glad to meet a fellow who does not build everything out of foil.

I don't know where you are located, but I checked the nearest aluminium distributor around these parts, they stock 6082 aluminium in dimensions up to 160 x 1270 × 2520 mm (6.3 x 50 x 100 inches). They offer half or whole plates sawed to your specifications. I wouldn't be surprised if they could deliver larger plates from one of their suppliers. Prices are usually somewhere around 6 USD/kg.

See page 11:
http://astrup.no/en/content/download/5079/18525/version/4/file/1_Aluminium_LovRes.pdf

There should be a distributor like this in your area.

onlinemetals.com almost has something almost your size:
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=12514&step=4&showunits=inches&id=76&top_cat=60

Check the other alloy options, they might have them in sizes you find more suitable.

If you can't find it there id search or ask on the practicalmachinist.com forums to find a supplier.

If you'd rather go for the other suggestion:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Surimi-Crab-Stick_554317667.html
>>
^ an *almost too many
>>
>>1119233
>24 inches x 48 inches - $1,176.38
fucking kek
>https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Surimi-Crab-Stick_554317667.html
>1,000/ton
now this I can get behind
>>
File: 40x.jpg (114KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
40x.jpg
114KB, 720x960px
>>1119165
>>buy 1/3 ton of imitation crab meat
I don't come to /diy/ very often, but googling this lead me down a very dark path that involved crab people
>>
>>1119331
http://4chandata.org/diy/I-need-1-3rd-of-a-Ton-of-imitation-crab-meat-for-a-project-of-mine-anyone-know-where-I-can-get-that-amount-a492082

The phrase resurfaces from time to time.
>>
>>1119335
>The phrase resurfaces from time to time.

Usually used to point out ridiculous request from OP.
>>
>>1119032
Serious talk here, check out https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/aluminumplate for plate stuff. 6061 Plate, 3 inches thick, 3 foot by 3 foot is $737.06, 381 pounds.

This site is really good, cheap plate for your crazy and sane sizes. Good service, quality product.
>>
>>1119339
Thanks
>>
>>1119032
Talk to Alcoa? I hope you have a fat wallet or are fucking the CEO.
>>
>>1119233
>minimum order 12 tons

Nice try mr alibaba man.
>>
i'm not understanding why the solid plate? if you are wanting to make aluminum to span like beams they have much more efficient shapes that are commonly used in concrete formwork. Look for efco or doka aluminum beams/purlins. You would only use aluminum over steel because it is lighter.
>>
>>1120969
he wants to mill out a tray about 16ga thick
>>
>>1119143
>A block that large would have to be custom cast
Why are you talking when you don't know anything?
>>
Don't know where you're located but here in the east we have mcmaster-carr. Don't think they're a national chain but I'm sure they can ship anywhere. Prices are usually great and if you're within a few hours drive of NJ their shipping is great. Only problem is that they don't always have the best descriptions on their site and the site doesn't sell by name brand but you usually get great name brand stuff.
>>
>>1121104
>McMaster
>great prices
There's lots of good things about McMaster, but price ain't one of them. You pay a bit extra for the convenience of having everything in one place and the super fast shipping.
>>
Call industrial metal suppliers including the above. ALWAYS get multiple quotes. You can have your plate waterjetted to nearer net shape easily if needed.
>>
>>1119143
This guy knows.

I work at a metal factory and we cut upto 250mm thick aluminium plate.

For your 914.4mm i dunno where you gonna find it. sorry op.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.